ACV - Any results ?

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    GORIYA1 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the responses. I was asking here because I have seen it all over the internet to help shed some weight. Being that everyone on here has that as a goal I thought maybe some of you had heard about it and or tried it.

We've definitely heard about it, and some of us have even tried it. It does NOT work for weight loss. How would it work, exactly?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I'm genuinely curious, what sites are you seeing this information on? We've had a plethora of ACV threads this year and I'm perplexed where people keep running into this woo based theory that ACV (or any product for that matter) will help with weight loss.

I see something pop up on my FB page pretty much daily since the new year.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,312 Member
    the benefits at my house are it neutralizes stomach acids. really helps with refux & similar ailments

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    I prefer malt vinegar on my fish and chips.
    I lost 30lbs and have kept it off for 6+ years.
    Is that why?

Cheers, h.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Was wasting time at FML and the ads are all over it.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited March 2017
    I've been seeing acv ads in the MFP app. A picture of Bragg's with some click bait title of detoxing or fast weight loss. :cry:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    I've been seeing acv ads in the MFP app. A picture of Bragg's with some click bait title of detoxing or fast weight loss. :cry:

Now that's probably because we talk about it so much on the forums. Gotta love digital marketing!
  • Tacklewasher
    Reminds me of my time on a Skeptic site that trashed a certain psychic, leading to lots of google ads for said psychic.
  • AliceNotInChains
    AliceNotInChains Posts: 12 Member
    It helps with gall bladder stones. It definitely helps with acne. Some studies have shown it helps insulin sensitivity. I'm not such a skeptic to think it won't work, but there is no magic pill... or juice. You can always try it for what- $2 a bottle? If you feel better, then its a success. (And those who scream "maybe its the placebo affect!" the placebo affect works, so as long as it gets results, I wouldn't knock it.)
  • Tacklewasher
    ammuncy wrote: »
    It helps with gall bladder stones. It definitely helps with acne. Some studies have shown it helps insulin sensitivity. I'm not such a skeptic to think it won't work, but there is no magic pill... or juice. You can always try it for what- $2 a bottle? If you feel better, then its a success. (And those who scream "maybe its the placebo affect!" the placebo affect works, so as long as it gets results, I wouldn't knock it.)

So much wrong with this. Placebo effect is basically no effect that could not be obtained with water. As to the others, do you have any reliable links that it does anything for gallstones? I'd be real interested in that as it is a side effect of weight loss I am paranoid about, and would not be subject to a placebo effect.

Why am I replying here?
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    I think it is a diuretic, helps with water weight. I've been using it for years. If you can stomach it give it a try. I drink a big glass of water, then a shot of Bragg's through a short straw and another large water. Helps me with arthritis pain.
  • AliceNotInChains

So much wrong with this. Placebo effect is basically no effect that could not be obtained with water. As to the others, do you have any reliable links that it does anything for gallstones? I'd be real interested in that as it is a side effect of weight loss I am paranoid about, and would not be subject to a placebo effect.

Why am I replying here?

Helps with gallstones and acne is personal experience. I was on a very natural diet until college when I went crazy on fast, fatty foods. When I started to lose weight, I got pretty painful gallstones, multiple times. The only thing that helped it was vinegar. Instant pain relief, and now I haven't had any in a few years.

Also, the placebo affect is no effect that couldn't be obtained with water, but it is a really fascinating thing because even though it is literally a placebo, if people believe that it works, it does. Such a weird facet of the human mind.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong

Why am I replying here?

Helps with gallstones and acne is personal experience. I was on a very natural diet until college when I went crazy on fast, fatty foods. When I started to lose weight, I got pretty painful gallstones, multiple times. The only thing that helped it was vinegar. Instant pain relief, and now I haven't had any in a few years.

Also, the placebo affect is no effect that couldn't be obtained with water, but it is a really fascinating thing because even though it is literally a placebo, if people believe that it works, it does. Such a weird facet of the human mind.

Placebos don't magically cause physiological effects because one believes they do. Things that are less tangible, like pain, which can have a psychological component, can be affected. Body fat cannot.
  • Tacklewasher
    So, no actual research on the gallstones. I'm outta here before I.....
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member

Why am I replying here?

Placebos don't magically cause physiological effects because one believes they do. Things that are less tangible, like pain, which can have a psychological component, can be affected. Body fat cannot.

What I do tend to find though is that people who start on something that they believe is going to help their weight loss, they unconsciously improve their adherence to other habits which do result in weight loss. Then they congratulate the product.
  • Tacklewasher

Why am I replying here?

What I do tend to find though is that people who start on something that they believe is going to help their weight loss, they unconsciously improve their adherence to other habits which do result in weight loss. Then they congratulate the product.

And it all seems to depend on how much they paid for the product. Funny how that works.

*kitten*. I said I was out of here.
  • AliceNotInChains
    The argument is that acv leads to weight loss. You have introduced a reason why it may not be the product itself, but the psychological processes behind it. My point is that just because something doesn't have a physiological affect on weightloss, doesn't mean it doesn't have an effect. It may be a psychological one. If the product is something as cheap and harmless as apple cider vinegar, then the process variables don't matter, imo. If someone sticks to their health plan because they aren't going to drink a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar for nothing, then more power to them. How is that any different than any other means of motivation to achieve their results?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong

Why am I replying here?

And it all seems to depend on how much they paid for the product. Funny how that works.

*kitten*. I said I was out of here.

Good try, though!

I used to think Xenadrine, green tea pills, neoprene shorts, and all kinds of thongs [meant "things" but "thongs" made me laugh] were helping me lose weight, but I'd also start doing walks and walk/jogs for hours a day and limiting my intake to a few lean pockets a day and be like "yay the magic pills!" but eventually I'd get so burnt out on all the exercise and undernourishment that I'd crash.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    The argument is that acv leads to weight loss. You have introduced a reason why it may not be the product itself, but the psychological processes behind it. My point is that just because something doesn't have a physiological affect on weightloss, doesn't mean it doesn't have an effect. It may be a psychological one. If the product is something as cheap and harmless as apple cider vinegar, then the process variables don't matter, imo. If someone sticks to their health plan because they aren't going to drink a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar for nothing, then more power to them. How is that any different than any other means of motivation to achieve their results?

But why give credit to a product that has no impact, rather than the thing that does, a calorie deficit that the Individual created?