Healthy restaurant= HIGH calories

Options
I need help with choosing meals at places like Panera and Freshiii. I hate restaurants that seem healthy but really aren't. This particular place didn't have the cals listed on the menu. I ordered a "healthy" wrap/burrito today with quinoa, lots of greens, chx breast and other vegetables but turns out it was over 600 calories!!! I could've just went to freakin' SHAKE SHACK and enjoyed my lunch. Smh. Lesson learned.

Replies

• crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Panera is the easiest to find low cal foods. Get a bowl of soup or a salad. I always check their website before going and plan out their nutrition... of any chain really.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    A rule of thumb a very fit pediatrician I work with shared with me - if the menu does not have nutrition information posted, she doesn't eat there. She figures in this day and age, if they aren't posting their nutrition information, they must be ashamed of it. I ran with it. So I look things up before going places to make my decision. It hasn't failed me yet.

If you're going by the seat of your pants, the wraps, the grains, the dressings, and just pack with veggies and lean meat if you want it to be low calorie. Nothing wrong with the grains or wraps, they just add the number up.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    A rule of thumb a very fit pediatrician I work with shared with me - if the menu does not have nutrition information posted, she doesn't eat there. She figures in this day and age, if they aren't posting their nutrition information, they must be ashamed of it. I ran with it. So I look things up before going places to make my decision. It hasn't failed me yet.

If you're going by the seat of your pants, the wraps, the grains, the dressings, and just pack with veggies and lean meat if you want it to be low calorie. Nothing wrong with the grains or wraps, they just add the number up.

I guess she's not a fan of fine dining?

Or small, family-run places?

They've got young kids, so at this point, when they eat out it's more fast stuff. I never asked her about the fine dining. I'm sure it happens. There are always exceptions to rules. That's her rule of thumb, and it seems smart to me. If there is a quick joint to go to that doesn't post, there is going to be one down the street that does.

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

I guess she's not a fan of fine dining?

Or small, family-run places?

They've got young kids, so at this point, when they eat out it's more fast stuff. I never asked her about the fine dining. I'm sure it happens. There are always exceptions to rules. That's her rule of thumb, and it seems smart to me. If there is a quick joint to go to that doesn't post, there is going to be one down the street that does.

I suppose for someone that eats out frequently, this might be decent advice. At least that way you can control your calories. I don't mean to knock it.

We only go out on rare occasions, and it's almost always a treat. On those occasions I'd rather get something good, and special. Calories be damned.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    "Healthy" isn't a synonym for "low calorie," although certain companies would love for you to think that it is. You have to be just as discerning at a "healthy" places as you would anywhere else.

This is so true.

My favorite salad I make is around 600+ calories that includes a veggie based protein, beans, seeds, avocado and my dressing is pretty low calorie.