I'm getting very discouraged

I have been eating decent and going to the gym for the past 2 weeks straight. I haven't been seeing much results and keep fluctuating between 1-2 pounds. I have my calories set around 1200 a day. I sometimes go over a couple hundred calories but I have MFP synced with my Fitbit and I'm burning 700-1000 calories a day. I do some weight before cardio at the gym. I run as much as I can on the treadmill for 15 minutes then spend about 20-30 minutes on the elliptical. I work a desk job so this is really the only form of exercise I get. I try to get up and move around throughout the day as much as possible but I'm not seeing any results right now.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Are you actually eating 1200 calories or are you netting that amount after exercise. What is the total number of calories that you put in your mouth, in other words?
  • gabriellax92
    gabriellax92 Posts: 65 Member
    I'm actually eating roughly 1200 calories or more.
  • gabriellax92
    I opened my diary to public
  • gabriellax92
    ^^LOL yes, i'm impatient but at my weight I expected to lose something by now. I'm 5'3 and 250 pounds. I went from sitting and doing nothing everyday to forcing myself into the gym every morning.
  • gabriellax92
    How am I supposed to log 1 shake? I use the scanner for it. 1 premier protein shake is 160 calories, that's what it says in my diary too. I overshot more fries then I actually ate because I didn't feel they were that low on calories. And I'm eating over 1000 calories a day, not under?
  • trimcook
    trimcook Posts: 1 Member
    I have discovered that I need to stay under the carbohydrate goal, but be sure to meet the protein, fiber and fat goal. Orginally , I wasn't paying any attention to the carbohydrates just the fiber and protein and my weight loss was very slow, even though I was excersing 5 times a week. So try that and good luck.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    What are you doing to rack up that many exercise calories in a day? Seems really high, granted you are not eating them back.

Anyway, give it a couple more weeks. Weight loss comes in whooshes and your TOM will also cause water retention. You should make sure to eat you non-exercise calories plus probably 1/2 your exercise calories.

This does take patience.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited March 2017
    I think you might benefit from this thread about logging accuracy:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
  • kathakraz
    kathakraz Posts: 65 Member
    How am I supposed to log 1 shake? I use the scanner for it. 1 premier protein shake is 160 calories, that's what it says in my diary too. I overshot more fries then I actually ate because I didn't feel they were that low on calories. And I'm eating over 1000 calories a day, not under?

I'd be more concerned about the entries marked "generic" or "homemade." Are those entries you created yourself? If not, you have no way of knowing what went into those recipes and it will not be the same as what you are eating. If you are making the food yourself, create your own recipes with the ingredients in the amounts you use rather than relying on other user entries. If you are eating out and trying to guess the calories, try to find a restaurant with nutrition info posted online that has a similar dish to the one your eating and see if there is a MFP entry for it. Or, when trying to pick an entry while guessing, be sure to choose one on the higher calorie side.

You also have a day or two where it looks like you may not have logged everything you ate that day (for instance, last Friday you logged just a shake - I hope that's not all you ate). Be sure to log everything you are consuming to be as accurate as possible.

Finally, it's only been two weeks. Give it more time. If what you're doing is not working after a few more weeks, you'll know you need to make some changes.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Thank you everyone! I promise the day only logged 1 shake that wasn't all I ate lol. It was my fiance's birthday and I just didn't finish my logging that day(went well over my calories also). I will be more mindful and start weighing my portions and entering my recipes... And more patient

I am glad that you have taken the responses well. Many people get upset when we tell them that they need to be more exact :)

I think of it this way--I ended up overweight because I was bad at judging how much I needed to eat on a regular basis (plus there was a bit of "I don't care, I'm eating this" in there too.) When I decided to lose weight, I had to make a very deliberate choice to be completely honest with myself about how much I was eating. I didn't start out by counting calories but I did log every single bite that went into my mouth and then I worked to decrease the overall quantity of what I was eating. Whether you log calories or just log food, you have to work toward decreasing what you eat. You have to remember that even if you play the "lalala that bite doesn't count" game, your body is counting it.

Best of luck to you, OP!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Thank you everyone! I promise the day only logged 1 shake that wasn't all I ate lol. It was my fiance's birthday and I just didn't finish my logging that day(went well over my calories also). I will be more mindful and start weighing my portions and entering my recipes... And more patient

One crazy day can wipe out a whole week's deficit. That's why it's important to log even when you know you're going to go way over. At the end of the month, if you want to know why you aren't progressing, you can look back and see how a couple of really wild days can blow the whole month...
  • domgetsfitter
    domgetsfitter Posts: 19 Member
    I have run into similar issues before on myfitnesspal sometimes it is easy to become hyperfocused on staying under your calories but the biggest changes come when you look at what is making up your calories. Also 1200 calories sounds like waaaaay to low a number. I would suggest looking at your macros as well. You don't have to commit fully to an IIFYM plan but if you looking at the percentages under the nutrition tab of myfitnesspal it can help you to make wise food choice along the way which could jump start your weight loss. But I hope everything goes well!! Don't get discouraged!!