Ate well, exercised well, still hungry?

Options
I ate about 1,500 calories, exercise for 90 minutes (light walking) and I'm STILL hungry! Its not boredom, its not thirst, its not because I haven't waited for long enough after a meal. Does anyone know why I'm feeling this? Or how to fix it so that I can go to sleep! My stomach is keeping me up!

Replies

• Sulsun
    Sulsun Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What helped me from hunger is eating slow and small meals throughout the day~ Maybe try spacing out your calories. ^^
  • monateru
    monateru Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I already do that. I dont think I went more than 2 hours without eating carrots or bananas or granola.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite, if I graze like that all day, I stay hungry. Having a smallish breakfast, a reasonably substantial lunch and a big dinner keeps me satisfied.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Did you eat back your exercise calories?

If you didn't, your supposed to, so go eat 50-75% of those 90 min workout calories.

If you are truely hungry eat a 200 cal snack anyway.
    Cheers, h.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I know how to fix this: Eat something.

If 1500 calories is what MFP gave you based on your regular activity level, and you exercised, that means you need to eat more to fuel your activity. Record your exercise and eat back about half (or maybe a little more) of the calories it gives you.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    monateru wrote: »
    I already do that. I dont think I went more than 2 hours without eating carrots or bananas or granola.

Did you get in much protein/fat today?
  • counting_kilojoules
    counting_kilojoules Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Is this unusual? (If it is, I'd just have a low kj snack and go to sleep.) If it's not or your pretty new to mfp then I'd say you need to play around with your macros. Some people find higher fat/lower carb more satiating, some people find higher levels of protein more satiating, some people prefer low fat high carb and some just eat a range of everything. You might need to experiment a bit to see where your comfort level is.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, eat.

Are you eating foods that satisfy you? Me, I can eat 1500 cals of fruits and veggies and still be hungry because most of them aren't satisfying for me.
  • egc52556
    egc52556 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree if you're hungry to the point it's keeping you awake, then eat. But eat smart: keep it small, keep it well balanced according to your macros.

I think it's a mistake for us to think that each day is a self-contained, separate, unit apart from the previous few days. MyFitnessPal let's you look at your macros and nutrition for the past week. Take a look there to see you are well balanced and have good nutrition.

Speaking of small & well-balanced & satisfying, this works for me, total ~80 calories:
    1/2 Tumaro low-carb wrap (http://www.tumaros.com/) -- 30 calories
    1 tsp peanut butter -- ~30 calories
    1 tsp jam/jelly -- ~20 calories
    Eat it slowly and enjoy every yummy bit.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Seems to me that 'carrots, bananas, and granola' lack protein to keep you full (plus granola has a zillion calories, lol).
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I hate to tell you this (No, actually I don't), but when you are trying to lose weight you are going to feel hungry. If we could lose weight without being hungry then we would have no reason to trust our hunger when we are trying to maintain weight.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    A little hunger is normal when you're losing weight. Try drinking some coffee or tea. After awhile you get used to not eating as much.

If you're really really hungry though, then you may be in too large of a calorie deficit. In which case go have some food! That's one reason why it's important to keep healthy snacks available (eg fruit, cottage cheese, nuts, etc.).
  • abungay
    abungay Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help but when I feel hungry after eating well and exercising I ask myself if I want oatmeal, or toast or an apple. If not then I don't eat if yes then I eat a small amount of something like this. Sometimes I ask this and I am like no I don't want this, normally I regard this as craving for sugar or some other unhealthy thing, then I don't eat anything. It might help out!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    monateru wrote: »

Have higher protein snacks.

And eat back at least 50% of the calories you earned from exercise.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    When you're losing weight, being a little hungry comes with the territory...especially when you're accustomed to basically feeling full up most of the time. This can be mitigated to some extent by 1) eating at a reasonable deficit as per your stats and overall activity; and 2) eating a macro ratio and foods that are more satiating...this can be a very individual thing.

For me, eating a banana and/or some carrots or something aren't going to be particularly satiating. Sure, I might have some carrots on my salad with lunch...but I'm also going to have some good complex carbs with that like quinoa or beans or lentils or something, along with a good portion of protein and a little fat. If your idea of eating well is simply fruit and veg, it's likely you're going to be pretty hungry most of the time.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I just have hungry days. Or a hungry few days in a row (like right now). I try to power through it during the day, but I HATE going to bed feeling hungry (it makes it way harder and more uncomfortable for me to fall asleep and I get nauseous) so I will have a very small snack before bed - under 200 cals. Usually a cheese stick, salami, pickles, etc. Going over your calorie goal by a couple hundred calories OCCASIONALLY won't effect your weight loss too much.