Another Interesting Health Food Article

Options
crvynatrlbeauty
crvynatrlbeauty Posts: 40 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I found this on my MSN homepage this morning ... a lot of my favorites are on this list :neutral:msn.com/en-us/health/nutrition/20-junk-foods-you-didnt-know-you-were-eating/ss-AAolz1K?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp#image=12

This further supports my ideal that I can eat whatever I want in moderation (CICO).

Replies

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Pseudo-scientific nonsense.

If something fits into your calories, there's no reason to avoid it and the explanations they gave as to why it's supposedly 'not healthy' just make me shake my head.

save your time and stop reading such trash.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Yup. It also confirms the slogan "buyer beware".
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Roger that. Although the Ole Xtreme Wellness green tortilla really is health food.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Glad a random internet article told me the yogurt I just had with my eggs (real not substitute so I'm good there, whew) is really junk food. Protein and calcium be damned - it has added sugar so obviously it's going to kill me. Oh well, something has to eventually. At least it tastes good.
    ytkiuwxc5fu2.jpg
    Food is just food. Eat sensibly and apply a little common sense to it.

Also, does anyone still eat margarine? Like the old school, foil wrapper, unnaturally yellow stuff I grew up on? I thought we'd moved on to better (butter :lol:) things.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Eh they do have some points about some things being misleading.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Glad a random internet article told me the yogurt I just had with my eggs (real not substitute so I'm good there, whew) is really junk food. Protein and calcium be damned - it has added sugar so obviously it's going to kill me. Oh well, something has to eventually. At least it tastes good.
    ytkiuwxc5fu2.jpg
    Food is just food. Eat sensibly and apply a little common sense to it.

Also, does anyone still eat margarine? Like the old school, foil wrapper, unnaturally yellow stuff I grew up on? I thought we'd moved on to better (butter :lol:) things.

My daughters school only use marg as its "healthier" my daughter refuses to eat school toast or sandwiches unless they start selling butter for her to use
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Exactly, I think that's the point of the article. Many things are marketed in a misleading manner. Some people think that tricolor pasta and spinach tortillas are somehow filled with vegetables and are healthier than the regular pasta and tortillas.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »

Exactly, I think that's the point of the article. Many things are marketed in a misleading manner. Some people think that tricolor pasta and spinach tortillas are somehow filled with vegetables and are healthier than the regular pasta and tortillas.

It's not inherently healthier, but nor do I think that it should be reclassified as "junk" simply because someone had tried previously to market it as "healthy" or "superfood".

It really comes down to, why do we have to label foods as healthy or junk? Any of these foods, can be consumed as part of an overall healthy diet. Any of them can also be consumed as part of an overall unhealthy diet, overloaded on calories as well. There aren't foods with magical properties, or evil properties. It's all just food.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    ahamm002 wrote: »

It's not inherently healthier, but nor do I think that it should be reclassified as "junk" simply because someone had tried previously to market it as "healthy" or "superfood".

It really comes down to, why do we have to label foods as healthy or junk? Any of these foods, can be consumed as part of an overall healthy diet. Any of them can also be consumed as part of an overall unhealthy diet, overloaded on calories as well. There aren't foods with magical properties, or evil properties. It's all just food.

I agree, and the terminology that they use leaves much to be desired, but they still make good points - that often people think that they make a healthier choice (that will help them lose weight) when really, it's pretty much the same as the other stuff.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I found this on my MSN homepage this morning ... a lot of my favorites are on this list :neutral:msn.com/en-us/health/nutrition/20-junk-foods-you-didnt-know-you-were-eating/ss-AAolz1K?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp#image=12

This further supports my ideal that I can eat whatever I want in moderation (CICO).

Eh. Clickbait.

Also, CICO isn't "eat whatever I want in moderation", it refers to energy balance.