April 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• hesfeld
    hesfeld Posts: 95 Member
    Yesterday was my cross training day so I did some yoga. I did Runner's Yoga by Gaiam I found at the library and it was super easy that I felt I got nothing out of it. Anyone have a good recommendation for a yoga routine, even a Youtube video, that's not too difficult but still challenging? And I refuse to go to a class and embarrass myself is why I do it at home
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    @lporter229 - Wow! That sounds like a fantastic experience! Makes me want to do it too! Still haven't done a marathon, let alone a BQ...but, I'm only 43 so there's time :smiley:

@Elise4270 and @SkippyGirlsMom - I have NO willpower when it comes to ice cream (or brownies), my kids even make fun of me for it! The pint idea is a good one, but Dixie cups are not going to get it done.

Serious question: If I decide to stretch things out after my early June half and do a fall marathon, how many miles will I typically need to do on weekdays if my long run is on Saturday? Training time may really become an issue if it is much longer than 75 minutes or so. TIA for any input.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    hesfeld wrote: »
    Yesterday was my cross training day so I did some yoga. I did Runner's Yoga by Gaiam I found at the library and it was super easy that I felt I got nothing out of it. Anyone have a good recommendation for a yoga routine, even a Youtube video, that's not too difficult but still challenging? And I refuse to go to a class and embarrass myself is why I do it at home
    @hesfeld I'm not sure if it will be challenging for you or not, but I like the "Five Parks Yoga" videos on youtube. If I want to do some yoga, I usually do one of those two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzcIbLtOV4g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdC8Z3ewJ_8

There are tons more from her, though, in case those are too easy for your taste. I like that channel in general, because I find the videos to be well made - many others I've tried are trying so hard to be calming by speaking very softly or putting "relaxing" music that annoys me instead :wink:

--

Since we are on the topic of video recommendations: Does anyone have any recommendations for good crosstrain/strength workout videos with kettlebells? I just got a pair last week.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2017
    karllundy wrote: »
    Serious question: If I decide to stretch things out after my early June half and do a fall marathon, how many miles will I typically need to do on weekdays if my long run is on Saturday? Training time may really become an issue if it is much longer than 75 minutes or so. TIA for any input.
    Total weekly mileage is the best predictor of success for a full marathon (I am certain that is plagiarized from 1000 other sources). You want about 50-60 miles/week as your peak mileage to be in decent enough shape for a full. There are exceptions, some people do it with less, but there are even more people who get injured doing a full marathon and most all of them are due to not being ready for that distance.

You should have some long runs that push towards 3 hours in your peak week(s). You should do regular long runs of 2+ hours, preferably 2.5 hours. You need to get used to running for a long time because what is going to get you in a full marathon is not the distance, it's the time spent running. The more time you spend running on race day, the higher your chances of getting hurt or bonking. That's what training helps with.

As for distances run on long run days or weekdays, go by the 2.5 hour rule for your long run, and keep your weekday easy runs capped at 60 minutes. Also make sure your long runs are not more than 1/3 of your weekly mileage. Based on your pace you should be able to figure out what these distance will be to start. From there it is about either increasing your pace to stretch those distances further, or stretching your long run (if possible) towards the 3 hour range and maybe adding a mid-week middle distance run (less than a long run, longer than a normal run). That mid-week long run would be over 60 minutes naturally, but would be the only weekday run like that.
  • karllundy
    @WhatMeRunning - Thanks! That definitely seems doable with my schedule. I already follow the 1/3 rule for long runs. 2.5-3 hours on weekends with 60 minutes most weekdays also seems doable. May just have to do this for the fall.
  • hesfeld
    hesfeld Posts: 95 Member
    @_nikkiwolf_ Thank you so much! I am not advanced by any means so I will check those out! And good luck with the kettlebells! They are such a great workout. I think I did a kettlebell DVD by Bob Harper and couldn't finish, it was so intense!
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    @lporter229 Great race recap! Congrats on an amazing race and another BQ

@_nikkiwolf_ Thanks for posting your experience with Mizunos. I was a little nervous to get wide width with them since I did that recently with a pair of Sauconys and they ended up too big. I'll probably go with regular width.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2017
    @lporter229 - Wow! That sounds like a fantastic experience! Makes me want to do it too! Still haven't done a marathon, let alone a BQ...but, I'm only 43 so there's time :smiley:

@Elise4270 and @SkippyGirlsMom - I have NO willpower when it comes to ice cream (or brownies), my kids even make fun of me for it! The pint idea is a good one, but Dixie cups are not going to get it done.

Serious answer Can you do doubles a 1-2 days week? In my not-a-marathoner mind, the long run is going to have to broach the 3-4 hour mark at some point. I don't know how you'll get the training runs/weekly miles needed if 75 minutes limited your long run. Even if you eat ice cream by the pint(s). That's all I have on the matter.

ETA @WhatMeRunning good answer- but how much ice cream should he be eating?
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Serious answer
    On long run days you can have extra ice cream. After the marathon, all you can eat!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Total weekly mileage is the best predictor of success for a full marathon (I am certain that is plagiarized from 1000 other sources). You want about 50-60 miles/week as your peak mileage to be in decent enough shape for a full. There are exceptions, some people do it with less, but there are even more people who get injured doing a full marathon and most all of them are due to not being ready for that distance.

You should have some long runs that push towards 3 hours in your peak week(s). You should do regular long runs of 2+ hours, preferably 2.5 hours. You need to get used to running for a long time because what is going to get you in a full marathon is not the distance, it's the time spent running. The more time you spend running on race day, the higher your chances of getting hurt or bonking. That's what training helps with.

As for distances run on long run days or weekdays, go by the 2.5 hour rule for your long run, and keep your weekday easy runs capped at 60 minutes. Also make sure your long runs are not more than 1/3 of your weekly mileage. Based on your pace you should be able to figure out what these distance will be to start. From there it is about either increasing your pace to stretch those distances further, or stretching your long run (if possible) towards the 3 hour range and maybe adding a mid-week middle distance run (less than a long run, longer than a normal run). That mid-week long run would be over 60 minutes naturally, but would be the only weekday run like that.

I think I've broken all of these rules...... :/
  • Freck135
    Freck135 Posts: 50 Member
    Goal - 40 miles
    4/3 - 2 miles (gotta start somewhere)
    4/5 - 2.5 miles
    4/7 - 5 miles
    4/8 - 1 mile then crosstrained
    4/10 - 2 miles and strength train
    4/14 - 5 miles
    4/15 - 2.5 miles
    4/20 - 2 miles
    Total Miles - 22 miles
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Ended up getting sucked into the world of strava, so I haven't been poking in here as much. Mileage is down to about 40/week as I'm much more focused on the bike & swim as of late (so I'm not expecting much more than a 3:15 out of Pittsburgh in 3 weeks), but wanted to see the Boston recaps in advance of next year.

@mobycarp - Congrads on finishing, although getting as far in the race as you did on the course at a very solid pace before things falling apart late has to be a bit frustrating. Definitely take a few days off before hanging up your marathon shoes, as I think you have the ability to be spectacular at the 26.2 distance if the stars align on race day. Maybe I've just been lucky on all but one of my marathons, but given your normal running paces, I'd think another finish near the top of your AG is out there for you in Boston given what your competition is doing on the course.

@lporter229 - Sounds like you had a great strategy (in the heat), were super-disciplined to stick with it early in the race, and I'm really glad things held up for you. I hope they re-expand the qualifier field to 24,000 and if so, given the running boom is post-peak, your time may hold up (as I'd selfishly love to have an MFP buddy there in addition to my local teammates).

@Stoshew71 - Good luck at the Kentucky Derby! Although wouldn't the 2:44 from Rocket City be good enough for a BQ "Rocket City Marathon - 12/10 << 2:44:41"? Getting into sub-elite territory these days!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    April Running Totals (miles)
    4/1 – 18.19 paced run
    4/2 – 3.90 easy 30 minutes
    4/3 – rest day
    4/4 – 10.75 tempo intervals
    4/5 – 6.85 group run
    4/6 – 8.18 tempo intervals
    4/7 – rest day
    4/8 – 12.07 paced run
    4/9 – 7.83 almost easy 60 minutes
    4/10 – 4.51 easy 30 minutes + 4 strides
    4/11 – 7.81 warm up, speed work, cool down
    4/12 – 3.81 easy 30 minutes
    4/13 – 5.45 easy/MP workout
    4/14 – travel day
    4/15 – 4.12 easy run along the Charles River
    4/16 – 2.61 20 minutes on last part of course
    4/17 – 26.43 Boston Marathon
    4/18 – travel day
    4/19 – rest day
    4/20 – 2.12 recovery run

April total to date – 124.63

Nominal Challenge Goal – 150 miles
    Real Goals: Run Boston. Finish healthy. Recover well.

Today's notes – 48º F (9º C) at 10 this morning was just too tempting. Threw on some running shorts, shoes, and an old Rochester Marathon shirt and went out for a recovery run, even though the test of Turkish get-ups and squats this morning says my sore left quad isn't really ready for prime time yet.

First few hundred meters were dubious. Felt that quad with every left foot strike. Ran around the neighborhood debating with myself how short to cut it, and the quad got feeling better as I warmed up. But there were twinges. Dithered between 2 miles and 20 minutes, and ended up deciding it was enough at 2.12 miles in 17:23. HR barely got into Zone 2 for a bit, mostly stayed in Zone 1.

Don't think I damaged anything today, but I notice I'm back in hypochondriac mode right now. We'll see how that goes; denial mode after Boston 2016 didn't work out very well for me. On the bright side, my cold is less bad, and the little bit of running seems to have helped that. In a week, I'm sure the cold will be old news. Just lousy timing on when it peaked.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 33:25
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 30:59, PR for 8K
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:49:42

• karllundy

Serious answer Can you do doubles a 1-2 days week? In my not-a-marathoner mind, the long run is going to have to broach the 3-4 hour mark at some point. I don't know how you'll get the training runs/weekly miles needed if 75 minutes limited your long run. Even if you eat ice cream by the pint(s). That's all I have on the matter.

Ha! It is just weekday mornings I am limited to ~75 minutes. I can get the 3-4 hour long runs in on Saturday or Sunday. I was mostly concerned about needing to go more than 7-8 miles regularly on a weekday.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited April 2017

Ha! It is just weekday mornings I am limited to ~75 minutes. I can get the 3-4 hour long runs in on Saturday or Sunday. I was mostly concerned about needing to go more than 7-8 miles regularly on a weekday.

if you can average 7-8 miles each week day, that gets you to 35-40 mpw keeping your long runs in the 15-20 mile range and you'll be OK. I don't go over 52 mpw on my current training plan, and that includes 20 mile LRs..... yeah...I totally break the 30% rule....

To add to the DD thing. I'm looking at having at least some DD's in my next training cycle, but that's because of (what I find to be) my insane second goal race for the season.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited April 2017
    @karllundy- I do not agree that running huge amounts of miles is critical for marathon training. I have run 5 marathons and only once have I ever run more than 60 miles per week. I have done up to 10 miles on a mid week long run, but I usually limit it to 7 or 8 miles. Not that I recommend it, but I have known people that have run marathons by training with only one long run per week and nothing else. Anything you do in addition to your long run is going to make the race easier for you, but it is that long run that is critical in preparing your body for 26.2.

@Ohhim - I hope you are right. At least I think I do. Right now I am still not sure I want to run another marathon. But if I do, I would love to go back to Boston. It would be great to see you there. It was an amazing experience and you are going to enjoy every second of it!

@_nikkiwolf_ Thanks for posting the yoga videos. I am excited to check them out!

@angmarie28- Congrats on signing up for the marathon. Don't let your nerves get the best of you. I think a healthy dose of nervousness makes you better at racing.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited April 2017
    The crowd at this point was unbelievable. Thousands of people just cheering me on. I don’t think I could have made it without them. Then came the best surprise of all. As I made the turn onto Hereford Street, there was my husband, shouting my name. I wasn’t expecting to see him again because the finish line area is crowded, so we just agreed to meet at the designated area. But there he was to give me that extra little push I needed to make it onto Boylston.

The trek down Boylston Street might just be the longest segment of a race I can remember. It honestly felt like I was running on a treadmill, or that somebody was taking the finish line and moving it back with every step. I could see it, but it wasn’t getting any closer. Where were those bleachers? Shouldn’t I be there by now? I’m quite certain I could not have lasted another step, when all of a sudden there it was, the blue and yellow painted asphalt that was the finish line of the Boston Marathon. I had dreamed about this moment forever. I gave it that final push and hit the button on my Garmin. It said 3:53:13. I had finished the Boston Marathon…in Boston Qualifying time! I could not have been more elated!

@lporter229 I'm not gonna lie, I started crying here! Congratulations, great report and race. The post race picture is awesome, I don't look that good after a 5K hugs girl!

@greenolivetree look at the babies though!

As a side note, I have been running, just decided not to track here this month :smile: I signed Skip and I up for a bunch of races in the next few months.