Not eating enough calories

Options
I find it difficult to eat the amount of calories that is suggested from this app. I walk 20,000+ steps a day at work on average. My fitbit says I burn 4,000 calories. What would you guys suggest I do to maintain a healthy diet for gaining weight? I'm at 130lbs right now and am looking to get to 150lbs. Thanks!

Replies

• Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    4000kcal from walking??
  • Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    according to Shape Up America. a average 150-pound person expends 80 calories by walking between 2,000 and 2,500 steps. 80x10 (2000 steps x 10 =20000) = 800kcals
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    4000kcal from walking??

It is TDEE, fit bit adds in BMR
  • matthewsanchez89
    matthewsanchez89 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    4000kcal from walking??

It is TDEE, fit bit adds in BMR

What's TDEE?
  • RichardHerzog
    RichardHerzog Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure... So how much energy you burn during the day. 4000 calories is a lot, but not impossible. Lots of quality carbs, protein and healthy fats. You have to eat more than you burn to gain weight, plain n simple.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ice cream, oreos, full fat milk, peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches, etc
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    4000kcal from walking??

I was having to eat 3600-4200 while bulking to keep weight going up at 0.2-0.7 lbs./week and that was from nothing but lifting 4x/week, and a buttload of walking. I also only weighed from 168-181 at the end of it. Walking burns a buttload of easy calories when you almost never sit still.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I find it difficult to eat the amount of calories that is suggested from this app. I walk 20,000+ steps a day at work on average. My fitbit says I burn 4,000 calories. What would you guys suggest I do to maintain a healthy diet for gaining weight? I'm at 130lbs right now and am looking to get to 150lbs. Thanks!

I was on the same amount when I did my first bulk. I found the best way to make sure I ate that amount most days was to pre log my days. That way I wouldnt be left with situations where its 9pm in the evening, you have a million calories left to eat and you are wondering how to eat them. While I would normally be of the view that you should get all your food from proper food, when you are on that amount, it makes sense to get a protein or a recovery drink that you can have after a workout. You dont necessarily need to have it straight after a workout but within an hour or two. I used a 2:1 carb/protein type drink that helped increase the calories a lot. Outside of that, I just ate a load of food like 3-4 scoops of oats, 3 scoops of full fat milk, banana, scoop of grounded millseed, flaxseed & sunflower seed for breakfast most of the time. Get nuts like almonds and cashews for snacks. Supplement them with fruit like bananas, apples, etc. For lunch, get the highest calorie bread you can find and fill it with peanut butter, whatever meat or fish you want and whatever veg you want. For dinner, make a mountain of chicken curry or whatever curry you want or spag bol or chili con carne and load with chick peas, lentils, veg and have it with rice, potatoes, whatever you prefer. Drink full fat milk. I went with 2x200 mls of full fat milk every day. Occasionally have pizza, burgers, ice cream, etc. Its hard at the start to get all that food in but once you get used it, becomes routine.
  • matthewsanchez89
    matthewsanchez89 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks! This post really helps, I appreciate you taking the time to post.
  • rakhymbayevas753
    rakhymbayevas753 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also have the problem of eating less calories, i dont like preaparing food at home in advance))