Neophyte here!

any suggestions with regard to the best approach to getting started eating clean would be most appreciated.

Replies

• athenamoon01
    athenamoon01 Posts: 7 Member
    I would suggest that to get started with eating clean, you should plan to cook meals at home - not from a box, but true home cooked meals. If this is difficult, try to plan one day out of the week to cook from scratch - invite your family to help, add some music and enjoy the smells and flavors you are creating. I hope this helps as a good first step.
  • jringer1
    jringer1 Posts: 1,230 Member
    I like the cookbook Paleo Perfect. You can usually check it out at the library before you buy.
  • jedipwnces
    jedipwnces Posts: 2 Member
    We found that one of the best ways to get started is to do a kind of pantry purge... it sucks, I mean it takes time and it feels wasteful, but we struggled with will power. That is, if there were cookies in the pantry, we would eat them, and then bemoan our inability to stay on track. However, if there are no cookies there to derail your good intentions, they're much easier to maintain. :)

Another good investment is a George Foreman (or similar). It makes "home cooking" so easy. We'll do a couple of chicken breasts on the grill (they take about 7 minutes) and steam some broccoli for dinner pretty regularly. I'm sure there are those who would scoff at an electric grill, but our meat always tastes great, it's cooked perfectly, and there's effectively no prep or clean up time involved. Plus, weather is not a factor! We still grill outside sometimes and my husband has gotten into smoking meats on the weekends, but most evenings, by the time we get home, we are in no mood to spend two hours preparing and cleaning up after our evening meal. So... hooray for appliances, I say!

Let's see... other tips -- spend most of your time in the grocery store in the produce and meat sections... use YouTube to learn how to cook things you're not accustomed to cooking... document your favorite clean recipes somehow so you can find them again later!... social media platforms are great places for inspiration -- I'm always seeing stuff on instagram that makes me want to cook! look for hashtags like #whole30 or #paleo or #cleaneating and peruse at will.

Good luck to you! We're not 100% clean eaters, but we try to be good. And we feel so much better when we eat the right foods. :)