water a must for muscle gain?

suzyy721
suzyy721 Posts: 52 Member
im trying to gain weight and have been on a calorie surplus. i just read somewhere that our muscles are made up of 80% water. and if you dont drink the right amount of water, no good??

reason i ask is cause i dont want all my hard work go to waste. ive been eating a lot, and drinking a lot of milk. but barely any water prolly the least 2 cups a day. and 4 at most. plz advise.

can i still gain weight if i drink less water?

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    ^^this
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    The milk you are drinking is mostly water, it doesn't have to be pure water to hydrate you.
  • suzyy721
    thank you @trigden1991 very helpful
  • suzyy721
    @sijomial ok thats a relief. thanks a lot ! :):)
  • owa1s
    owa1s Posts: 273 Member
    A lot of Water is must regardless of the goal
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    owa1s wrote: »
    An adequate amount of A lot of Water is must regardless of the goal

Fixed it for you.
  • owa1s
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Fixed it for you.
    Why not a lot of water?
    Ok amount of water recommended, is it better now? :p

• ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited April 2017

Fixed it for you.
    Why not a lot of water?
    Because massive quantities of water above what your body needs doesn't do anything but exercise your kidneys, stretch out your bladder, and work out your urethral sphincter.

But maybe those are important fitness goals for you...
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

Fixed it for you.
    Why not a lot of water?

No. Recommended by who, and for who?

A sedentary office worker in an air-conditioned cubicle will need less water than a construction worker who's out in the sun all day doing hard labor. A person who does a lot of hard exercise (and hence sweats a lot) will need more water than a person who considers a quarter-mile walk as their exercise for the day. A person who eats a high-sodium diet would benefit from more water than a person eating less sodium. And so on.

Any recommendation of x cups/ounces/glasses per day is an inadequate way of determining one's water needs. It may be enough for some and woefully inadequate for others. And lots of water (depending upon how you define "lots" could be dangerous for some people. Google "hyponatremia" for starters.
  • owa1s

Fixed it for you.
    Why not a lot of water?

No. Recommended by who, and for who?

A sedentary office worker in an air-conditioned cubicle will need less water than a construction worker who's out in the sun all day doing hard labor. A person who does a lot of hard exercise (and hence sweats a lot) will need more water than a person who considers a quarter-mile walk as their exercise for the day. A person who eats a high-sodium diet would benefit from more water than a person eating less sodium. And so on.

Any recommendation of x cups/ounces/glasses per day is an inadequate way of determining one's water needs. It may be enough for some and woefully inadequate for others. And lots of water (depending upon how you define "lots" could be dangerous for some people. Google "hyponatremia" for starters.
    Thank you for the advice sir