thoughts on IIFYM? Is it just as effective as clean dieting?

Hey guys, im 18 and I just recently started working out. Im around 5 months in and have gained 20 pounds. I haven't really gained any bodyfat but I'm still not looking that big. Maybe it's just the typical bodybuilder's perception of always thinking that they dont look big enough. But anyways, I'm eating roughly 3300 calories per day and make sure i get a gram of protein in per lbs of body weight. I dont really focus too much on my diet and just try to reach my calorie count and make sure I get enough protein in. I'm going to try focusing on my diet as soon as summer starts as I'll have more time. Should I be really careful about what I eat or is IIFYM kind of lifestyle good enough for muscle building and gaining mass?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    _jatingarg wrote: »
    Hey guys, im 18 and I just recently started working out. Im around 5 months in and have gained 20 pounds. I haven't really gained any bodyfat but I'm still not looking that big. Maybe it's just the typical bodybuilder's perception of always thinking that they dont look big enough. But anyways, I'm eating roughly 3300 calories per day and make sure i get a gram of protein in per lbs of body weight. I dont really focus too much on my diet and just try to reach my calorie count and make sure I get enough protein in. I'm going to try focusing on my diet as soon as summer starts as I'll have more time. Should I be really careful about what I eat or is IIFYM kind of lifestyle good enough for muscle building and gaining mass?

You've gained 20lbs but you don't think it's fat? What is it then?!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    do you have pre 20 pounds and post 20 pound pictures?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    IIFYM works.

If you did put on 20 pounds in 5 months, that is about 4 pounds a month....of that, 1 lb might be muscle, the other 3 is most likely fat.

I just recently did the month of March, eating all my food (lunches and dinners) from fast food places.
    Keeping my calories and macros in check.
    Had very good results, and was able to loose weight as I expected.
    So if gaining weight is your goal, then that will work as well, by upping calories.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Heh, you got in trouble too? Oh, and IIFYM works fine.
  • _jatingarg
    _jatingarg Posts: 3 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    do you have pre 20 pounds and post 20 pound pictures?

y7tt8z3vrj3f.jpg
    23tac43dslrt.jpg

Not much of a transformation yet and I still have a long way to go but here you go. First picture is me at 172lbs and the second one is me at 152 lbs.
  • _jatingarg
    _jatingarg Posts: 3 Member
    _jatingarg wrote: »

You've gained 20lbs but you don't think it's fat? What is it then?!

idk, by not bodyfat I'm just roughly talking about the fat that i can grab on to on my stomach haha I've been hitting legs pretty hard too so some of my weight went there and the rest of the weight on my upper body which also resulted in a *kitten* ton of stretch marks.