Gym newbie strength training advice please

Ok after my baby I was 16st courtesy of postnatal depression.. got myself down to about 11st and I'm 1.67m I want to start strenght training properly but there is waaay too much information online I just haven't been able to organise my days.

I can exercises my lower body all day long but my upper body is very weak and I want to develop all over strength.

Atm I'm strength training using machines and using the exercise bike at high resistance and treadmill on a high incline.

But I'm kinda clueless still please please some advice?

Any apps I can use which show the exercises?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Following an established program that is geared towards your goals is going to garner the best results. Low rep/heavy weight (as a high % of your 1RM) programs like Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength and similar are going to maximize strength gains...Something like New Rules of Lifting for Women is going to be more of a general fitness lifting program...Strong Curves is another option, and there are many more.
  • pacchiona
    pacchiona Posts: 5 Member
    I want to accentuate my curves that is my goal as well as of course being stronger.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Try BodySpace app through bodybuilding.com - it's free. There are hundreds of training programs for women and men with different goals and for all ages. You can add a program to your calendar and click on each day it tells you exactly what exercises to do, suggested reps and instructional videos with the proper form to execute the exercise. I use it and have been through 3 different programs since last year.

Good luck
  • gamespriteicon
    gamespriteicon Posts: 66 Member
    Hi Mommy, have you looked at youtube videos? They are super helpful and with a baby (mine is 2) they can be done at home and save gym for machines and cardio days. My go to for strength training are:

1. (playlist) Fit Mommy Trainer 15 Day Challenge -
    2. (any video on) FitnessBlender - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiP6wD_tYlYLYh3agzbByWQ

Good Luck on your journey!!
  • cwolfman13
    pacchiona wrote: »
    I want to accentuate my curves that is my goal as well as of course being stronger.

Maybe Strong Curves then...
  • pacchiona
    Should I cut calories or eat at maintenance or at a surplus? I'm happy with my weight but not my body composition..

• pacchiona
    Thank you for all the helpful suggestions so far
  • cwolfman13
    Should I cut calories or eat at maintenance or at a surplus? I'm happy with my weight but not my body composition..

If you're happy with your weight, eat to maintenance and lift...
  • pacchiona
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

If you're happy with your weight, eat to maintenance and lift...

Excellent thank you didn't really wanna watch everything I eat again so eating healthy and at maintenance is fine by me