What's your though on the Blood Type Diet

Hi all,

I had an appointment with a coach and he explained me the blood type died techniques by Dr D'adamo. I'm so skeptical about it, I've been using mft since February 2016 and already lost a total of 130 pounds. Not sure I want to restrict the food I eat based on my blood type.

http://www.dadamo.com

Thanks,

Marc

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Common sense applied - well done!

There is no scientific basis to this. This is a marketing plan based upon the ignorance of the general population. Yes you will lose weight, but due to a caloric deficit, not the meaningless differences in personal blood type.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited April 2017
    I found a research report that showed each version of diet was effective as a diet, but there was no special connection to your blood type. It's just a fad approach that may help one psychologically in restricting their calories in.

edit: found the link https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3893150/
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Theo166 wrote: »
    I found a research report that showed each version of diet was effective as a diet, but there was no special connection to your blood type. It's just a fad approach that may help one psychologically in restricting their calories in.

I am annoyed that some researcher thought assigning diets by blood type was potentially valid enough to spend time and money testing the hypothesis. Or maybe there's a real need for ABO diet debunking in Canada?
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    What's your thought on the Blood Type Diet
    Just a device to separate the naïve from their money.

This. Accordingly, I shouldn't be able to lose weight on the diet I'm currently following and yet it's working great for me!
  • Theo166
    edited April 2017
    stealthq wrote: »

I am annoyed that some researcher thought assigning diets by blood type was potentially valid enough to spend time and money testing the hypothesis. Or maybe there's a real need for ABO diet debunking in Canada?

I think valid research that debunks pseudoscience fad diets is in the public interest, much better than some of the money thrown at climate change research (i"m all for valid climate research but much has been wasted). Grad students need something to work on.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member

I think valid research that debunks pseudoscience fad diets is in the public interest, much better than some of the money thrown at climate change research (i"m all for valid climate research but much has been wasted). Grad students need something to work on.

Much gets wasted in all subjects, sadly.

Serious question. Do you think this is something that would get picked up by media outlets so people realize there's evidence the diet doesn't work as advertised?

Personally, I don't think so but I'm cynical about media outlets in general and therefore biased.
  • Theo166

Much gets wasted in all subjects, sadly.

Serious question. Do you think this is something that would get picked up by media outlets so people realize there's evidence the diet doesn't work as advertised?

Personally, I don't think so but I'm cynical about media outlets in general and therefore biased.

I doubt the media would pick up a specific diet unless there were deaths or some other juicy scandal to grab eyeballs. These diets are restrictive but don't look dangerious
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited April 2017
    Back slowly away from this "coach", keeping an eye on your wallet at all times. Then just keep doing what you're doing!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Save yourself some time and money, cancel your next appointment with that quack (if you have one). You've been tremendously successful and could probably teach HIM a thing or two.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Blood type diets are 99.94% crap by atomic weight.
  • New_determination
    New_determination Posts: 1,460 Member
    All fad diets r the same to the point of creating a caloric deficit as long as u have this then technically u should loose wt.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited April 2017
    Blood type diet is total bogus - a number of people here have eaten according to their blood type only to find that really they were mistaken on their bloodtype Yet they felt great on "their"bloottype diet - just search the boards - it becomes highly entertaining at times.

The only thing it does is change your eating habits If then you are in a deficit you loose weight. In the end it comes down to CICO.
    Now note some people do have medical issues that can and sometimes can be addressed by diet - Bloodtype ain't one of them
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member

Sometimes I worry about the potential effect of legitimizing the obviously ridiculous by ever giving it a stage next to real science because then the purveyors of that which is clearly hokum will use the fact that they got a seat at the table, a place in the debate with real scientists, or an actual study commissioned as a wedge to try and say that what they're doing is anything other than fantasy.

It's a double-edged sword in many cases. If you don't refute them (and spend time and money and effort to let them on the stage so you can) they scream that science is afraid of them. If you do, they claim they got their place on the stage because they're "real science" too.