TAI CHI?

Options
I do work out now. I am finally able to do 15 minutes on the elliptical without thinking I'm killing my knees lol.

Recently though I saw a video about tai chi. It looks low impact, I saw heavy set people doing it, and I wonder if anyone has used it successfully as part of weight loss?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I used to do it with my dad...it's not going to burn many calories, but it's great for settling the mind and was good for my anxiety.
  • eok902
    eok902 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    ^^^ What @cwolfman13 said. Tai chi is great for focus but it's gentle so don't count on it for burning calories. Mind you, if it puts you in a better state of mind it might have a positive effect on your eating habits so there could be good outcomes. I practised for a couple of years but am out of the habit now sadly. I'd recommend it to anyone (but not for torching calories).
  • t00intense05
    t00intense05 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I practice Tai Chi (plus sword) and Yoga in my regular exercise routine. While it will not burn massive calories like high impact exercises anything that gets your body moving is in itself positive. Mind you the constant slow movement and slightly bent knee posture will be taxing on your knees until you are accustomed.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    Agree with what others have said: Modest calorie burn, good for gaining better kinesthetic sense, balance, flexibility. Those will be useful for other physical activities.

If you're still heavy, be attentive to how you twist or shift on a weighted leg - if you feel joint stress, work with your instructor on correct/safe mechanics. The "tai chi for arthritis" people are especially good about this.

(My late husband was a tai chi teacher. I studied it seriously for about 8 years.)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i've tried to learn it several (well, three ) times. had to give up, but with that said one reason it fascinates me is the total-body control and pacing thing. in terms of muscle awareness, recruitment, and the whole thing of having full control of your entire body at all times, i found it a huge challenge personally.

can't speak to the calorie side. but honestly, i think if anyone is capable of learning it they're lucky.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Tao chi is wonderful for flexibility and balance.
    The big caveat is to find a **real** tai chi teacher. Tai chi is not a flowery dance, it is a martial art. It may be slow and contemplative but every move is a blow or wards off a blow.
    Ask anyone who you consider taking as your teacher how long they have been practicing, how long they have been teaching, and who their teacher was. Ask how long they had to practice before their teacher allowed them to teach. If it was any less than five years, run away. It doesn't matter how fast they got down the forms, they need the years of practice.
    Look for a Yang (yahng) style teacher. This is the most common style. Chen style is more explosive. Ng (ung) style is pretty uncommon.
    Be prepared: it is harder than it looks both physically and mentally, but so rewarding!
  • Solarized
    Solarized Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I practice Tai Chi (plus sword) and Yoga in my regular exercise routine. While it will not burn massive calories like high impact exercises anything that gets your body moving is in itself positive. Mind you the constant slow movement and slightly bent knee posture will be taxing on your knees until you are accustomed.

Knees, quads.....
    The first class I did, we all came out with sore legs. It did get easier though.

I would echo finding a good teacher. If your form is bad, you won't see the benefits. (Runs off to find the forms to start up again.....)
  • lclarkewalker
    lclarkewalker Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
  • HIKERB46
    HIKERB46 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'M A NEW MEMBER AND HAVE BEEN TRYING TO ADD TAI CHI TO MY EXERCISE PAGE AS A STRENGTH TRAINING EXERCISE ....THE APP DOES NOT ALLOW IT BECAUSE IT SAYS IT CANNOT BE FOUND. WHEN I TRY TO ADD IT TO STRENGTH TRAINING EXERCISE IT SAYS TAI CHI ALREADY EXISTS. THIS IS A CATCH 22 OR WHO'S ON FIRST.
    ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED.
  • HIKERB46
    HIKERB46 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love it when I can solve my own problem. It's frustrating when the search engine in this app does not recognize TAI CHI or tai chi or TAICHI or taichi, but only recognizes TAI chi. My bad. Tai chi is supposed to be calming. I think I need a dose after this frustration. Otherwise I really like the app.