No one else mad about the change to the sleep graph?

lizvocal
lizvocal Posts: 1 Member
I'm surprised there is no discussion here about the change Fitbit just made to the sleep graph. As they are rolling out the new "sleep cycle" data for the high-end Fitbits, they took away the sleep efficiency number and the time/duration data on the graph showing restless sleep and waking during the night.

Basically, Fitbits are no longer the best sleep trackers on the market. All the data that made them helpful is gone.

Replies

• LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    My husband pointed out that his had changed. I still have the old one. Not sure why...we have the same model.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Mine hadn't changed yet. I have a charge 2 that I just got two weeks ago. (I used a flex last year for a while.) Sounds disappointing though.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Yep, they definitely downgraded it. It was simple and easy to read before, and now i have to click all over the place to get a rough idea. Very annoying!
  • macchiatto
    Weird. My Fitbit app just did an update so I thought this would change, but thankfully it hasn't yet. Maybe if enough people complain they'll switch back?
  • Christine_72
    macchiatto wrote: »
    Weird. My Fitbit app just did an update so I thought this would change, but thankfully it hasn't yet. Maybe if enough people complain they'll switch back?

The one I'm talking about is on the PC dashboard. I've never looked at the phone sleep graph.
  • macchiatto

The one I'm talking about is on the PC dashboard. I've never looked at the phone sleep graph.

Oh, got it, thanks. I didn't realize I'd never looked at that one!
    Mine still looks like the one on my phone, old-school. We'll see if that changes!
  • macchiatto
    Mine finally updated last night and I'm annoyed.
    The sleep cycle info is kind of interesting, but I don't like that it's showing I was "awake" for 50 minutes (and subtracting that from my total amount of sleep) just from adding up all those brief moments I supposedly woke up during the night. AFAIK I slept quite soundly.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    It's odd that it's not showing the total sleep on my dashboard anymore!

But it shows when you were awake on the graph. It's actually not that bad.
    The sleep cycle info is kind of interesting, but I don't like that it's showing I was "awake" for 50 minutes (and subtracting that from my total amount of sleep) just from adding up all those brief moments I supposedly woke up during the night. AFAIK I slept quite soundly.

If you read the information on the Fitbit website, it says it's actually normal for most people to wake up a lot during the night, even if they don't remember it... it's still time during which you're not asleep.
  • macchiatto
    Francl27 wrote: »
    It's odd that it's not showing the total sleep on my dashboard anymore!

But it shows when you were awake on the graph. It's actually not that bad.

If you read the information on the Fitbit website, it says it's actually normal for most people to wake up a lot during the night, even if they don't remember it... it's still time during which you're not asleep.

I understand that. I would just rather not have that counted against my total sleep since then I'd need to be in bed, say, 9 hrs to get 8 hrs sleep. I might just adjust my sleep goal to 7 hrs but I have insomnia issues and I would rather note truly awake time vs time when I perceive that I'm sleeping soundly. Logging those brief wake-ups that people don't even remember isn't helpful for me in any way that I can think of so I'd prefer they didn't subtract that from the sleep total. It just muddies what I'd actually prefer to keep track of. And makes me feel tired. ;)
  • stm712015
    stm712015 Posts: 138 Member
    Yes - I'm so disappointed by this! I loved seeing my sleep percentage. It was one of the key data elements that I checked regularly. I've read the discussions on the Fitbit forum and it appears they won't be putting it back. There were a lot of complaints... but it didn't seem to help.
  • Christine_72
    Fitbit seems to like to fix things that aren't broken!
    They just released a firmware update for the Alta and it has crashed and bricked so many peoples devices.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    On the new graph, if you click the arrow on the far right of the line of info, it takes you to the detailed sleep information.
    So it's all still there, just in a different format
  • CanadianFlybaby
    CanadianFlybaby Posts: 8 Member
    I was banned from the fitbit community for encouraging people make sure others knew that the new web dashboard took away the sleep data that FitbitOne users had before.

The fitbit One was still be sold as a sleep tracker but the data now is nothing like the data we used to get. Information like time to fall asleep, sleep percentage and the ability to see at what time your sleep was marked as disturbed on the graph (important when sleeping with another person or trying to figure out what external events might be disturbing your sleep.) I felt it was fair to warn people that the while the physical device was still the same, it was no longer useful for tracking sleep because the company had taken away the features being described in article written before the web dashboard changes.

Since the One's flights of stair counter has never worked well (today I got 19 because I was outside all day in wind at manning a garage sale and only did about 4 if you can't hills), with no detailed sleep data, my One is now a fancy pedometer.

The kicker for me, is fitbit is still collecting all the sleep data on me, but won't let me see it as I used to. I can buy the premium which gives me the data weekly that I used to get daily (all the things I listed above) but when I complained and then argued that this was a ploy to force us to go to premium, they denied this.

I disconnected my One's dongle and deleted the App. Since I couldn't have access to my own data, I didn't want fitbit to have it either. I wrote down my daily steps before going to bed and got phone app for sleep.

I'm using an App called Sleep Like Android now. It gives me the sleep percentages, guesses at REM, deep and light sleep and sometimes tracks my respiration (depends on which way I lie in the bed.) As well, it records noisy times so I can see if I'm snoring. For the first 2 weeks it recorded no snoring (sighs, coughs, groans, getting up to the bathroom, yes, but no snoring.) Then I had about 20 minutes of snoring in a row. The sleep graph marked a CPaP machine icon on the graph to let me know it was snoring vs. other sounds. I'm pretty impressed that it knew the difference. And my dh is happy that I finally believe him (although I still say he was exaggerating the problem!)

It seems as accurate as the fitbit was when I was using the sensitive mode.

Best of all, the data is mine and mine alone. It is stored on my phone. I have the option to store it on the cloud, or just email it to myself each day to back it up. The company isn't collecting data and giving me some back. I'm collecting my data and it is up to me to store it and keep it safe. It works without wifi (great for me since I travel a lot and don't always have internet access). Extra bonus, I like not having the fitbit on my wrist since that sometimes caused my arm to ache.

While I've solved my sleep tracking problem, I am stilled banned from the fitbit forums despite being told it was for a 2 week period. Writing them to ask to be reinstated didn't work. So I have no access to any of the other discussions taking place and not idea what the final outcome was about the sleep data because my IP address is banned from using their forums.

To say that I can't recommend fitbit is an understatement. My tracker which had been worn 24/7 for years is still working just fine, a huge testament to the technical achievement of the company. But I've learned a corporation can hobble the usefulness of any device where it controls access to the data. In this case, they built something that didn't break so there was no incentive for me to buy another. Therefore, they held my sleep data hostage in order to force me to sign up for premium.

This is true for all kinds of things (phones, email services, etc. where companies offer you something in return for collecting your data usage.) I'm not just rethinking my use of my fitbit, I'm rethinking my interactions with the internet as a result and taking steps to grab back control over my data.
  • kuranda10
    This is what I'm still seeing
    1) click on the arrow to the right
    2) sleep data (I don't think I ever saw a % number)
    m38ku2kdpain.jpg
    b9e2us173om1.jpg
  • CanadianFlybaby
    CanadianFlybaby Posts: 8 Member
    Kuranda: is that from the web dashboard or from the app on your phone or tablet? The app always looked like that but before March 27th the web dashboard had a lot more information when you clicked on See More. pqy1zjk0mswd.jpg

If you hovered over the pink bars on the graph it would tell you the exact moment an event happened and for how long it lasted.

This information is still available if you have premium but that only updates once per week, so you must remember what happened in the night up to 7 days prior and correlate that to the graphed data. As opposed to my dh saying, "Did I disturb you around 2:40 last night when I got out of bed?", and me being able to say yes or no. From the graph you show a picture of, figuring when 2:40 is would be almost impossible.

The frustrating part is that fitbit has the data, they are choosing to not present it or make it available to you. While the 'download data' section makes the claim that "your data belongs to you." all they give me is the data you see on your page, not the detailed data that makes up the report that one gets, eventually, when you pay for premium.

• Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    It's totally useless - I'm on my second FItBit and doubt I would buy another until the sleep display is fixed
  • kuranda10
    Canadian - It was from the computer.
    I do have premium, but I only ever used the pink bars to prove to my husband how many times he woke me up. The exact times never really mattered.