I am going to experiment with making sweet potato "brownies" tonight, looking for culinary feedback

Options

Replies

• Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    You could also try to sub either the Banana or egg with applesauce. Just a thought. Looks delish though!
  • bobtater1
    bobtater1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Might try using flax eggs in your recipe.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    "Flax eggs" ?

9XjWAHp.png

Whoa, cool. I learned something new!

• ellefox70
    ellefox70 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Okay version two. Still not there, but getting closer to what I want:

TqsTjkV.png

gyVeUiX.jpg

Flavor is much better this time around but is over powered by the ultra ripe banana I used. Next version I will leave out the banana and go back to just egg. The addition of coco powder made the batter too thick. I was trying to cut calories so put in 1/4 cup egg whites instead of another egg. However I'm going to go with just whole eggs in the next version as well. (If you're doing this "at home" you can sub a banana for an egg, or a 1/4 cup egg whites for an egg. You can also sub in davinci syrup with any sweetner you like, for example, cary's sugar free pancake syrup or even real maple/agave).

Texture is meh. You can kind of tell it's beans. The beans are easier to work with than potato, but the texture isn't quite as good, a little more pastey. However texture is pretty fudge like if you refigerate this mess.

I'm not sure if the vanilla extract helped because everything was overpowered by banana. Next time I will incorporate more coco powder and leave out the banana.

Not sure if I'll get around to v3 this weekend, so I'll probably be back at this next week.

Looking forward to an update next weekend! Happy Easter
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Still curious about this. And avocado pudding.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Avocado pudding is good, but pretty high calorie and fat. It depends how you feel about dairy, and how you sweeten it, whether it's really any better for you than regular pudding.
  • Geocitiesuser
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'll probably try to whip up v3 on Friday. I'm debating if I want to incorporate protein baking powder in it, because I'm trying to avoid using "specialty" ingredients. I suppose I could maybe do more protein powder in general. The real issue I'm having is texture. The recipe in bean brownies v2 has the same problem as all the black bean brownies on the internet, texture is more like bean paste than fudge.

The other problem is adding ingredients fluffs up calories and changes the macros. Almond flour or coconut flour might make a good choice, but neither one of them is going to add the flourey "puffed out" texture that they are desperately missing.

I will never try avacado pudding because I like avacado/guacamole too much o:)
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    YjgVhM8.png

Yeesh. That's more than a whole tray of black bean brownies :) I have to try to keep the calories down. Besides the peanut butter would never make it into the batter, I'd just eat the peanut butter and call it a day lol.

Off topic but really easy peanut butter cookie recipe is half cup peanut butter and an egg.
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    A coworker made sweet potato brownies not too long ago but just used sweet potato, peanut butter, and cocoa. They were sweet enough and had a really good undercooked fudgey texture, but weren't chocolately enough. I suggested a bit more cocoa and a pinch of salt.

Looking at your recipe I think I'd cut out the banana and swap in some unsweetened applesauce (that'll make the flavor more neutral and add moisture). Use at least the same amount of cocoa, but if the batter still seems too thick stir in a little water (maybe 1-3 tablespoons) or another egg white.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    You are the second person to suggest the applesauce and I think I'm liking the idea.
  • bobtater1
    Options
    I'd still go with the flax eggs too. Right now I'm trying to work a low cal bananna bread.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    I love banana bread. Def. Post if you have a break through.
  • bobtater1
    Options
    Well haven't baked it yet but got it down to 106 cal. a slice. Will post if sucess.
  • CynoO
    CynoO Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I love black bean brownies lol never thought I would ever say that but I do lol
  • bobtater1
    Options
    I love black bean and quinoa enchiladas with red sauce.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This is the black bean brownie recipe I use. I agree with the originators comment that chocolate chips are essential to maintain a fudgy texture.

http://pin.it/Tx_y1FZ

I've successfully subbed dark red kidney beans.
  • bobtater1
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    This is the black bean brownie recipe I use. I agree with the originators comment that chocolate chips are essential to maintain a fudgy texture.

http://pin.it/Tx_y1FZ

I've successfully subbed dark red kidney beans.

Wonder if you could get it lower by subbing unsweetened applesauce for oil??
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    I have some "myprotein 0 cal chocolate syrup" and I'm wondering if it would congeal enough for the fudgey texture. Unfortunately I don't think I'll have room in my calories for baking this weekend. Perhaps I can get back to it next weekend. There's a can of beans read to go!
  • bobtater1
    Options
    Carob chips might be lower in cal and I think 1/4 cup of chips would do instead of 1/2 or 2/3.