Increase muscle mass on legs

Options
Any advice on how to increase muscle mass on legs? What my nutrition should be like and workouts? I've been trying to get bigger legs.

Replies

• jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    The thing I really hate and forgot to mention is that when your legs start to get bigger it makes it SUPER difficult finding normal pants that fit right lol so FYI train legs with caution, sweatpants and oversized waist sizes to accommodate my pants have become a norm and if I hit 29-30" thighs I wont even know what to do with my wordrobe lol.
  • jpoehls9025
    Options
    The thing I really hate and forgot to mention is that when your legs start to get bigger it makes it SUPER difficult finding normal pants that fit right lol so FYI train legs with caution, sweatpants and oversized waist sizes to accommodate my pants have become a norm and if I hit 29-30" thighs I wont even know what to do with my wordrobe lol.

To paraphrase Wendler (only slightly): A man should not be concerned with trying to fit into skinny jeans; a man should be concerned with finding pants that can contain his massive thighs.

goal = all pants are going to be skinny jeans lol!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

To paraphrase Wendler (only slightly): A man should not be concerned with trying to fit into skinny jeans; a man should be concerned with finding pants that can contain his massive thighs.

goal = all pants are going to be skinny jeans lol!

Now that's what I'm talking about. Tom Platz is the goal. ;)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

Be a girl.. At least we can resort to leggings. Doesn't help when they aren't appropriate work attire though!
  • jpoehls9025
    Options
    I don't know, my legs didn't start growing until I started squatting. But I also do know not all bodies are created equal different exercises work for different people thats why I like the ones I listed originally:

Squats, Front Squats, Deadlift and Leg Press
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    1) Calorie surplus
    2) Progressive overload

Most importantly; you do NOT have to squat to build big legs, no matter what people will tell you. The majority of my hypertrophy has come from leg press, quad extensions, RDL,s and ham curls.

Squat is the king ( or queen) of all exercises. Unless one has physical injuries/barriers why not squat.
  • jpoehls9025
    Options
    1) Calorie surplus
    2) Progressive overload

Most importantly; you do NOT have to squat to build big legs, no matter what people will tell you. The majority of my hypertrophy has come from leg press, quad extensions, RDL,s and ham curls.

Squat is the king ( or queen) of all exercises. Unless one has physical injuries/barriers why not squat.

right? I think its a few things about that topic, but Ronnie said it best:

“Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to lift no heavy-*kitten* weights.”

― Ronnie Coleman
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    1) Calorie surplus
    2) Progressive overload

It's true, you don't have to but it's probably more effective if you incorporate squats (at least some variation).
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    In order to gain size you will have to eat in a surplus, so 125-250 cals over maintenance per day (being a woman I typically wouldn't go much higher than that). Also I would follow a program that has you working legs multiple times per week, Strong Curves is a great option since you work them 3-4x per week with hip thrusts, squats, deadlifts etc (however there is more emphasis on the glutes vs the legs) but I am sure there are many other good programs out there too.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Bicycling.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    1) Calorie surplus
    2) Progressive overload

I'm not saying don't squat but as the subsequent comments have proven everyone gets swept up in the "squats are the best" mentality.

As a "full body" compound movement they are great. They tax the whole lower body, posterior chain and CNS however strictly for hypertrophy they are not a necessity.

I haven't squatted for nearly 3 years now and have made some significant progress with my leg development.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    1) Calorie surplus
    2) Progressive overload

I don't really squat because of equipment limitations as well as being more quad dominant when I go heavy, since my focus is more on the glutes...so I tend to avoid them or do more high rep goblet/banded. So it will depend on your goals too.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    1) Calorie surplus
    2) Progressive overload

I'm not saying don't squat but as the subsequent comments have proven everyone gets swept up in the "squats are the best" mentality.

As a "full body" compound movement they are great. They tax the whole lower body, posterior chain and CNS however strictly for hypertrophy they are not a necessity.

I haven't squatted for nearly 3 years now and have made some significant progress with my leg development.

Agreed, squats are great but for strictly building legs, I really like the leg press.
  • santacruz_isabel
    santacruz_isabel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What would be a good alternative for a leg press? Since I can't afford a gym right now I mostly do at home and outdoor workouts right now. I have dumbbells, kettle bell, and a barbell with olímpic plates at home.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    What would be a good alternative for a leg press? Since I can't afford a gym right now I mostly do at home and outdoor workouts right now. I have dumbbells, kettle bell, and a barbell with olímpic plates at home.

Front squats. Since you have a barbell and plates, you can just clean it up to the delts and commence to squatting.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options

I don't work for them but I just bought my first pair of pants at www.barbellapparel.com.

Their jeans are designed for lifters with bigger legs...maybe this is something to look into?
  • jpoehls9025
    Options

Bulgarian Split Squats with your dumbbells would work really well without proper equipment.