I don't think I'm doing this right guys

2»

Replies

• JusPrettyMe
    JusPrettyMe Posts: 26 Member
    Stella3838 wrote: »
    OP - For reference, I'm 5'4" with about 15 pounds to lose. I'm eating 1600-1800 calories a day and averaging about .5 to .75 pounds lost per week. (And most importantly I'm not starving! LOL!) I burn around 1700 calories on a lazier day and 2300 calories on an active day. Bumping up those calories some will help I think, plus easing up the per week goal. Good luck!!

Today was my first day trying to make 1700 calories. I've never thought I was one of those people who didn't eat enough...but now with help from you, and other posters, I've come to the fun realization that I need to up my calories...which seems will be another challenge!

But at least I can put my apples and peanut butter back into the mix!
  • JusPrettyMe
    JusPrettyMe Posts: 26 Member
    Theo166 wrote: »
    Theo166 wrote: »
    Where did you get your target of 160g of protein daily?

First I read an article that said my protein should be 45-50% of my macros. Other than that I just went by the defaults on MFP.

What is the ideal protein target for fat loss? I'm currently jogging about 3 times a week and doing heavy weights 1-2 times per week

my 2 cents - you aren't going to gain muscle when you are losing, so put your main focus on weight loss. Yes weights will help retain your muscle, but the sooner you get down to weight, the sooner you can really focus on building strength, etc.

There is a lot of macro advice around here, I suggest you look at multiple sources. Read up on Keto diets, they have a lot of supporting advice on high protein meal planning.

My macros are tweaked to represent what gives me satiety when I'm targeting 1% loss weekly: 40% Carbs / 35% Fat / 25%P. I couldn't easily hit a higher protein target unless I relied upon protein powder. I'm trying to focus on regular foods I'll also eat in maintenance.

Yes, there is soooo much information out here that I tend to get lost and, in the process, hurt my chances of achieving my small goals.

I, too, am trying my best to focus on "regular" foods that are whole that I can eat during maintenance. I've tried fad diets and crap in the past but now I need to really focus on this type of lifestyle.

Thanks for responding!
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Since you asked, my suggestion would be to replace the Think Thin bars with something you'd eat at a normal meal or snack. As far as protein or meal-replacement bars go, I don't think those are bad, but over time you'll need the nutrients that come from real foods. Also, I see they're higher in calories than any of your other meals. So you could probably replace them with something else. You could probably also replace the protein shake if you wanted to. Your vegetable intake could probably be a little higher.

If you were going to replace the whole fat Greek yogurt with something else, lowfat or nonfat would be a good choice, and you could increase the serving size. Unless there's some reason for the honey, you might consider replacing it with something less caloric and more fiber-ful and nutritious, like half a piece of fresh fruit or even a little dried fruit like chopped dried apples or apricots.

Other people have commented on the protein intake/macros, but I did have one question: are you tracking fiber intake, and if so are you getting the recommended amounts? (You can check by clicking on the "Reports" tab and then selecting fiber as the thing you want a report on.) jmo
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Today was my first day trying to make 1700 calories. I've never thought I was one of those people who didn't eat enough...but now with help from you, and other posters, I've come to the fun realization that I need to up my calories...which seems will be another challenge!

But at least I can put my apples and peanut butter back into the mix!

Isn't it awesome!?! I love to eat, not gonna lie! So to know that we can lose weight AND still eat a decent amount is so cool. And don't forget to eat those "fun" foods. Just factor them into your day! I'm having beers and likely nachos tonight. And I'll make it fit. Deprivation is where I have failed in the past. This is a lifestyle, so live it! Have fun! :smiley: