So what are your go-to-Tofu recipes/ways of preparing?

JuroNemo14
JuroNemo14 Posts: 101 Member
I personally use this, but any inspiration for other methods of preparing tofu are welcome :)
https://youtube.com/watch?v=vxHAbIddCXE

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    I'm not the cook, but Mrs. Jruzer fries it with a little oil in a wok, cubes it, and serves it in pad Thai. Mmmmm...
  • JuroNemo14
    JuroNemo14 Posts: 101 Member
    That sounds perfect, love eating it with noodles!
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,290 Member
    I like to drain it, marinate it and throw it on the grill.

Marinades: soy, ginger & sriaccha ( yes, I can't spell it); oj, bbq sauce & a little brown sugar
  • ellea1979
    ellea1979 Posts: 2 Member
    I press the water out of firm organic tofu and squeeze/pat dry with fabric, alternatively use can use paper towel. Cube and toss it through a small amount of coconut or olive oil. Dust with preferred ground spice and then bake on baking trays in a moderate oven, until golden on the outside. The cubes can then be used in salad, stir-fry, rice paper wraps, soup, on their own with a dipping sauce or anything else that takes your fancy.
  • darbunk
    darbunk Posts: 26 Member
    I like cold tofu with soy-sesame-garlic dipping sauce. I salt the block to help release some water and press for like 30 min. Cut into cubes and garnish with green onions and toasted sesame seeds.

I like silken tofu in Thai hot and sour soup (instead of shrimp). There is slso miso soup and Korean spicy soup seasoned with hot pepper paste.

And so many more ways to prepare tofu.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    I throw it in soups, stews, and curries.
    Since it doesn't really have flavor, it doesn't detract from the core recipe.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    I cut it into strips and coat it in cornstarch, then i pan fry it will a little olive oil spray and garlic.
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    I press it for 30 minutes, drain the water, and press for another 30 minutes. Then I marinate in a mixture of rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, and sesame oil. I slice off pieces from the block and lightly coat them in cornstarch and cook them in a little vegetable oil on medium-medium high heat until they're crispy.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,290 Member
    darbunk wrote: »
    I like cold tofu with soy-sesame-garlic dipping sauce. I salt the block to help release some water and press for like 30 min. Cut into cubes and garnish with green onions and toasted sesame seeds.

I like silken tofu in Thai hot and sour soup (instead of shrimp). There is slso miso soup and Korean spicy soup seasoned with hot pepper paste.

And so many more ways to prepare tofu.

Mmm...soon tofu is so tasty (korean).
  • Frobie
    Frobie Posts: 29 Member
    One of my favourites is in Tikka Masala! http://kindnesskitchen.ca/tofu-tikka-masala/
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    My go-to is to marinate the tofu overnight--I cut into squared and marinate just in veggie bullion a lot of the time, but you can also do a mix of broth, soy sauce, maple syrup, and a dash of liquid smoke. The next day I put everything, the tofu and the marinade into a glass baking pan and bake at 400 until nearly all the liquid is absorbed. You can turn the tofu part way through, though sometimes I forget. Then I eat it on top of my salads. You can also throw it onto noodles, etc....

One really fast one was to make veggie bullion, put some cubes of tofu, fresh spinach, chopped tomatoes, cilantro, and hot peppers, cook just enough to wilt the spinach = soup.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,113 Member
    These are my two favorites that I've made umpteen times, both staring with the tofu baked the same way:

BAKED TOFU

Press & drain 1 block firm tofu. Cut into 4 "patties". Brush on mixture of soy sauce and liquid smoke, then sprinkle on garlic powder, salt & pepper. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Flip and bake additional 15 minutes.

AVOCADO TOFU SANDWICH

Avocado "mayo": Mash 1 avocado and combine with 1 T red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and parsley. Use this in place of mayo. Put one of the baked tofu "patties" in a pita with the avocado mayo, a slice of tomato and lettuce.

TOFUNA

When they are cooled, I roughly break them up (all 4 patties) and pulse them in my food processor. Put into a mixing bowl and add:

1 celery stalk, finely diced
    1/2 cup vegan mayo
    3 tablespoons dill pickle relish
    2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
    salt & pepper to taste

Mix thoroughly and thoroughly enjoy! I am absolutely ADDICTED to this!

• Vune
    Vune Posts: 673 Member
    I use dry spice mix and throw it on a lightly greased George Foreman grill without bothering to press it. The end result goes in fried rice, salads, or tacos.