Pineapples

phoenixx866
phoenixx866 Posts: 173 Member
I don't know about you, but I absolutely love pineapples. I grew up eating mangoes, papaya, pineapples and coconuts. Now that my local grocery store finally carries pineapples (I live in a "ritzy" neighborhood where they mostly sell off-the-wall, organic only type foods), I've been eating pineapple for a week straight.

But I'd love to know some recipes incorporating pineapple. Anyone have any yummy, good ones?

Replies

• samuelgina91
    samuelgina91 Posts: 158 Member
    I eat it raw, but I love adding chunks on to my pizza. Also grilling it up for a char is really good too. A lot of indian dishes incorporate like a wheel of grilled pineapple to finish off a dish- like shashlik. I love these appetizers that include a cube of cheese, a cherry/piece of sausage/hotdog, and a piece of pineapple chunk on the same skewer the flavors meld well together and dip that into a little honey is surprisingly good.
  • cozytimes
    cozytimes Posts: 111 Member
    i'm not a fan of pineapple because it's too sour and it makes me sweat.
    my mixtures might seem weird but i'm thinking pineapple with hot soup (tomato soup and bread?) or pineapple in a salad.
  • xoxasma
    xoxasma Posts: 15 Member
    I love to chop up and mix all the following ingredients and eat them as a salsa/pico on tacos, eggs, in burritos/wraps, and even in sandwiches:
    Pineapple, red onion or chives depending on how strong you prefer that flavor, jalapeño, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, black pepper and salt
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    I've been eating a pineapple a week for over 2 years now! Mostly, I just eat it plain or sprinkled with allspice, with or without other fruit. We'll grill it in the summertime. It's good with most meats, and anything spicy or pungent. Occasionally, I'll toss it with some sugar and spices, top it with a coconut flour crumble, and bake it until it's gooey.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,128 Member
    To anyone that is experiencing sour fresh pineapple: You have to know how to determine if it's ripe. Pull up on one of the interior leaves. If it slides right out with no hesitation, it's perfect. If it has a little tug to it, try again the next day. A perfectly ripe pineapple will be juicy and sweet...utter perfection!
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    To anyone that is experiencing sour fresh pineapple: You have to know how to determine if it's ripe. Pull up on one of the interior leaves. If it slides right out with no hesitation, it's perfect. If it has a little tug to it, try again the next day. A perfectly ripe pineapple will be juicy and sweet...utter perfection!

I look for pineapples that are yellow without looking brown, and I smell the bottom, which should smell sweet. Using scent is more difficult if the fruit has been refrigerated, though. You can also get one that's yellow on the bottom, then cut off the spines at home, so you can rest it upside to let gravity sweeten the rest of it in a couple days.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited April 2017
    I like it grilled on skewers with sweet onion, pork tenderloin, green peppers and a Teryaki glaze.
  • JEE2015
    JEE2015 Posts: 146 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I like it grilled on skewers with sweet onion, pork tenderloin, green peppers and a Teryaki glaze.

That sounds yummy!!!!
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    On top of waffles with some whipped cream. Yummy breakfast!
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Shrimp and pineapple fried rice wrapped in cabbage or lettuce wraps. I like throwing pineapple into any Asian-y flavored dish.