Chiropractors?

AsrarHussain
AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
I was thinking of trying a chiropractor to see if my body needs work to be done to perform optimally.
What are your guys thoughts?
Is it a waste of money and time or is it worth it ?

Replies

• DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Have you ever, had your vehicle; fixed & then a, week later there's something else that; has to be fixed every time? Well that's my Mother's experience, when she saw 1 after; an accident!
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    I think most are going to find things wrong no matter what BUT I did hurt my back and went to one - I saw him the first time, he did some adjustment/massage/something that helped a lot. He said ok well that should take care of it but if you ever need to come back feel free. No trying to get me to come back for multiple treatments or anything like that - I was shocked and honestly it did help a lot. I went on a friends recommendation (I had seen one years before after an accident and that one seemed never ending so I finally just stopped going because it was crazy). I do get back issues now (years and years later) and think about going but I know that doctor has moved (the building he was in is long gone) and don't want to see one who says to keep coming back. I think he was one of those extremely rare in it to actually help and not keep you constantly coming back to make money guys.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    Get a massage instead! When I have aches and pains from doing too much, I get a massage ( deep tissue massage). I feel soooo much better. You need to be careful picking chiropractors.

I love massages (not deep tissue ones) but they are not covered by my health insurance and my chiropractor is.

I get an adjustment and also acupuncture treatment once a month. I just had both today and I am enjoying the benefits. The DC doesn't tell me to came back (unless I am really bad), I just do it on my own because I need it and I reap the benefits.

OP: Bottom line is, that you need to get a good chiropractor and recommendations help, and you need to see one with a clear goal and explain what your problem is. If you don't like her/him and if you don't see any benefits, just don't go back.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    My insurance will only cover chiro visits for acute conditions, no "maintenance", which I believe is reasonable. A chiro can treat some issues, but they should not consider a patient their annuity by having them back indefinitely for "adjustments". A good chiro should show the patient home exercises that can help with the issue being treated.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    I was thinking of trying a chiropractor to see if my body needs work to be done to perform optimally.
    What are your guys thoughts?
    Is it a waste of money and time or is it worth it ?

I'm absolutely not going near those guys, but my wife has definitely benefited from them.
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    I have scoliosis and see a chiropractor, a kinesiologist and a massage therapist about once a month each to keep me functioning and pain free. If I get off balance I tend to really hurt myself lifting. If you have pain then they can probably help you, but if you're otherwise feeling fine you might not need one.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Depending on how I'm feeling I will drop into my chiropractor. I'm lucky that my insurance covers and that my chiro is an athlete so he can relate to my occasional aches and pains. Finding a reputable one is important or it's just a waste of time IMO.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Love my chiropractor, but he is pretty good about letting me go by how I feel for frequency of visits and he doesn't try to sell me on any crap. He's patched me up and sent me out on a number of injuries.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    I go three days a week. My neck is out of alignment from a car accident and he's gradually putting it right, and I have constant lower back pain from a spinal birth defect and he helps me manage the pain.
    Choose one carefully, because there are losers who don't know their stuff and they can hurt you. I'd go with friends recommendations, or try a few until you find one you click with.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2017
    I prefer the Osteopathic style of treatment and you don't get the woo often associated with Chiropractors.

Also feel Osteopathy is closer aligned with Physiotherapy principles and it's interesting over the years how there's quite a crossover in techniques which wasn't apparent decades ago.
    My Osteopath only performs the adjustments after soft tissue massage - so he can gauge the force required as he's had extended "hands-on" time. That's one of my reservations about the short appointment duration Chiropractors often use - being manipulated "cold" means they may be using more force than necessary and you end up tense and sore.

Having said that I did get a really good diagnostic assessment from the Chiropractor I saw. But the short duration, frequent adjustments really didn't suit me at all - seemed to aggravate my injuries as much as help.

But not all Osteopaths are the same and the same obviously goes for Chiropractors.

• yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Maybe I just got lucky with my chiropractor, but I'm absolutely grateful for mine. He double-majored in Biology and Physiology in university before going on to get a Bachelor & Doctorate from National College of Chiropractics. Not sure how much goes into those second two qualifications, but the first two were enough for me to start trusting him.

Anyway, I woke up one day at age 15 and I was completely unable to move my neck to look to the left. My aunt shuffled me over to her chiro. He took x-rays of my entire spine (I also had reoccurring pain in other places from horseback riding) and then he had me able to turn my neck again in under 5 minutes. He was able to pinpoint why I was having problems with certain spots on my back and set me up on a plan to alleviate that pain. I walked out after 10 minutes feeling like a whole new person. I stuck with the plan (I think it was like 3 months) and kept coming back afterward because I was still horseback riding.

I eventually stopped going to him when I lost my insurance (I think I was 17 at that point) and I turn 23 in a few months. I haven't had any of that neck or back pain come back since then, so that chiro is my hero. I swear, at least half of my town has been in to see this guy for at least one problem or another. He's a bit of a town celebrity and you really should see his office around Christmas time with all of the baskets he gets.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Some are loonies that propagate woo to sell you stuff and some fix what's wrong with you (or send you to someone who can). I've had no woo problems with any chiropractors I've seen. The last one I went to "cured" my Bell's palsy. I say "cured" because no one knows what causes Bell's palsy. I always felt it was from a pinched nerve and I think I was right.

Try one out. I'd suggest if s/he starts on a selling supplements spree, walk away.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I owe my life to a chiropractor. That's the sort of anecdotal extremism you'll find online. It's not proof that you'll benefit at all, but rather that in one acute circumstance I benefited from skills that only a chiropractor had trained for. In your OP you frame it as using chiropractic as a tool of general wellness. I personally don't think that's going to do any good and suggest that either massage or yoga would cost as much and do what you want.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    i do chiro as-needed, not so much on the regular maintenance plan.

the one i've been seeing for 20+ years is a kinesiology/sportsmed kind of guy, so very low on the woo and very high on bringing out his skeletal models and showing me what's gone wrong why.

once something is wrong it's very hard to know how 'right' feels, so i find my own self-help stuff is not as helpful. chiro for me is a way of bootstrapping myself into 'normal', then after that i use the new baseline to manage the weakness.

i just see it as a tool in the kit, i suppose. for me handing the whole task of optimization or fixing off to one narrow niche doesn't work very well.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    Some are loonies that propagate woo to sell you stuff and some fix what's wrong with you (or send you to someone who can). I've had no woo problems with any chiropractors I've seen. The last one I went to "cured" my Bell's palsy. I say "cured" because no one knows what causes Bell's palsy. I always felt it was from a pinched nerve and I think I was right.

Try one out. I'd suggest if s/he starts on a selling supplements spree, walk away.
    Actually Herpes is linked (along with a few other diseases) to Bell's Palsy. My wife had it, but at the time she was having issues with migraines too. She got over it and hasn't had it since.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    From experience, if a chiro doesn't try.to sign you up for multiple visits or sell you supplements you may have found someone that can and is interested in helping you