And if you have it, how do you use it?

For the uninitiated, it's the Korean hot pepper paste

https://www.popsugar.com/food/What-Gojuchang-9040277

lj112809chicken08.JPG

Replies

• gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm, I mixed it with some mayo and soy sauce and it's a delicious dressing that I use on top of raw salmon and tuna. Kinda like a poke salad.
  • SarahFromWalthamForest
    Options
    I used to use it all the time, until I found out most, if not all, gochujang available from local shops or online contained high fructose corn syrup..
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I do! I make rice bowls with rice, dried seaweed sheets that I tear up into little pieces, diced pickled dikon, and I stir in gochujang. If I'm being ambitious I'll scramble up an egg to add. It's basically deconstructed kim pom because I'm too lazy to make rolls. Every Korean makes theirs different :)
  • stacief82
    stacief82 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    We have it in the refrigerator at all times! (My husband is half Korean) we use it to flavor rice or in a marinade for prom chicken or beef.
  • RedSquadronLeader
    RedSquadronLeader Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is Korean; I have this in the fridge always. Made it once but it's a looong involved process so I just try to find it at Asian markets, with quality ingredients as I prefer to avoid corn syrup and such. Anyway I use it to season meat (korean bbq notably but it's also really great with seafood), in stir fries, in soup, with veggies (really good on baked sweet potato), with eggs, in kimchi, on rice. Really just add it to anything that would be good with a spicy fermented bite to it.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Now I am craving Korean food. But I recently moved to a new city and don't know the good Korean restaurants yet. I will have to remedy this situation soon.

But back to your post topic...I had a Korean friend who used to put it in everything...even things that aren't especially Korean like stir fries and scrambled eggs.
  • luvingcm66
    luvingcm66 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Had a recipe that called for that today, had no idea what it was - so just used Siracha
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    This sounds like my type of food.

Does anyone have a home made recipe?
  • dskesse
    dskesse Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use it for braised chicken (dakjjim) and sometimes kimchi jiggae if it needs a kick
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Theo166 wrote: »
    And if you have it, how do you use it?

For the uninitiated, it's the Korean hot pepper paste

https://www.popsugar.com/food/What-Gojuchang-9040277

Gojuchang pork/chicken is what I make in my crock pot all the time.

Sounds interesting, do you use it like someone might bbq sauce? Quick recipe perhaps :smiley:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I love this stuff!

I will use it to make a quick salad dressing for heartier greens, mix it with stir-fried veggies, or toss with roasted broccoli. My husband has put it in fried rice and says it is really good.
  • InCHarmsWay
    InCHarmsWay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/korean-beef-rice-bowls/

This is another healthy recipe option that uses it.

I put it on almost anything you would put Sriracha on. I personally prefer Gochujang.
  • campfirequeen1
    campfirequeen1 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I was totally unaware of this stuff until last night while watching Iron Chef Gauntlet and I made a note to check it out today and waaalaaah, there was your post! I can't wait to try it! Thanks for the post, I got some great ideas from the replies!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I have it, use it when I make Korean fried chicken - it's an authentic recipe but I can't remember the proper Korean name for the dish. It's delicious, but I hardly ever make it anymore. Can't get rid of the smell of the oil in my house for days when I fry anything.

Personally, I prefer sambal oelek for a general use chili paste which is why the gochujang just sits in my fridge. It has more of a pure chili flavor to me.