Protein

How many protein shakes should you drink a day.after weight training

Replies

• blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Real food before protein shakes. But anyhow follow your product guidlines. Most of the more serious mass gainers are 4 times aday. Good luck man
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I use protein powder maybe once a week to hit my protein goal, that's all.

Maybe look at what else you're eating in a day if you're not hitting your macros? Are you vegetarian?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2017
    There is no 'should" after weight training. If you fall short on protein in your diet, you can supplement with protein shakes if needed.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    There is no need to have a protein shake before or after a workout, especially if you are eating around that time. I drink a protein shake before only because my lunch is 5 hours prior and I am a bit hungry. And then I eat dinner after.
  • john3064
    john3064 Posts: 11 Member
    What about lean muscle build shakes
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    john3064 wrote: »

Protein powder doesn't 'build' muscle...
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Eating protein provides the same building blocks as a protein shake... Another vote for food!

Lean muscle build will be determined by your surplus and lifting routine, not drinking a fancy shake.
  • john3064
    john3064 Posts: 11 Member
    Just new to lifting trying to find best way of doing thinks. After losing a stone on a diet. Would like to look shredded
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    There is no 'should" after weight training. If you fall short on protein in your diet, you can supplement with protein shakes if needed.

This.

I'm a flexitarian so I eat meat rarely as it upsets my stomach (IBS) and fail at my protein intake often so I need a shake or two to get me to where I need to be. If I could get all my protein from my diet, I would. I do like to eat a protein bar after my workout just because it takes me 45 minutes to get home (I use public transport to stay active). If I was doing weights at home I wouldn't bother and just eat some food. :smile:
  • blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member

Once a day
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    pbryd wrote: »
    I think there's a bit of a trend here for people to quickly jump in and say 'eat real food'.

I take two scoops of whey giving me 40g of protein when I finish working out 3x weekly. It's a cheap source of protein, is easily digestible and convenient. I don't class it as a supplement at all, it's food in my book.

I have one scoop added to 12oz of milk for breakfast, after my workout and before bed. It's tasty, cheap, and allows me to easily meet my protein goals. I actually think it's not only "food" but a treat. lol
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Everyday i have 60g of whey (one at mid morning and one at mid afternoon). This is the most convenient time/method to hit my my macronutrients as I am for 220-260g protein.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    I think there's a bit of a trend here for people to quickly jump in and say 'eat real food'.

I take two scoops of whey giving me 40g of protein when I finish working out 3x weekly. It's a cheap source of protein, is easily digestible and convenient. I don't class it as a supplement at all, it's food in my book.

If we're on myfitnesspal then there's a good chance that we all like eating and would choose that over drinking when we can. :wink:
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited April 2017
    How many protein shakes should you drink a day.after weight training

How much protien do you need is the question you should ask first.

Muscle is nor lean or fat. It's simply muscle.

Many people also enjoy acquiring their protien from steak, burgers, fish, jerky, chicken and the like because it makes them either feel fuller longer or they already have sufficient protien from food so why have more? Is the argument.

The trend we've seen over decades of marketing for new lifters is, if you lift a protien shake is a must which isn't true.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    edited April 2017
    Gimsteinn1 wrote: »
    This.. You don't need protein shakes if you're eating correctly. Real food trumps supplements.

Are you implying that people who favour the lower cost and convenience of whey shakes are eating incorrectly.

Tell me, what is wrong with a shake made from milk, banana, peanut butter and two scoops of whey? How is this eating incorrectly?

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited April 2017
    Gimsteinn1 wrote: »
    This.. You don't need protein shakes if you're eating correctly. Real food trumps supplements.

Are you implying that people who favour the lower cost and convenience of whey shakes are eating incorrectly.

Tell me, what is wrong with a shake made from milk, banana, peanut butter and two scoops of whey? How is this eating incorrectly?

She's saying (my interpretation) that if you get enough protein from food, you don't need the shakes/powder.

For some with a higher calorie/protein goal, it makes sense to use powders to meet that need. For others, it's more satisfying to eat the food. It will depend on a number of personal preferences.

FTR, I lift, but am still losing weight. I use protein powder a couple times per week to hit my protein goal, and it can be done both high and low cal, depending on what it's mixed with.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    I have a few scoops in my oats and maybe chug a shake if I need the protein numbers.

No idea if any of this is real or not.
  • skinnyfatty1983
    skinnyfatty1983 Posts: 41 Member
    protein shakes are my savior. i work all day. forgot to eat and no energy for workout. I take protein before workout so that i do not faint during a workweek. during weekend i had 3 scoops added to milk for 3 snacks at 3 different timings