Non-Scale Victories!

Replies

• glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    My friend almost busted her toes kicking my bicep :lol:.

Wow, 8 miles is great. You're training for a half marathon too, @bringbackthejoy, aren't you? You must be well on track. :star:
  • bringbackthejoy
    bringbackthejoy Posts: 255 Member
    @glassofroses I am in training, are you as well? Nice job on busting some toes.
  • RMC1995
    RMC1995 Posts: 67 Member
    @bringbackthejoy WOW! 8 miles is incredible - you are an inspiration! @glassofroses my standing desk is not convertible, it is just like, a big box that has two levels one for your keyboard and one for the monitor ($45 on Amazon). When I want to sit I put it on the ground and move my equipment down - so it all kind of works for me. Many people I know have a Vari-Desk which is fully convertible up and down very nice quality, but these are several hundred dollars.
  • glassofroses
    @glassofroses I am in training, are you as well? Nice job on busting some toes.

My sister in law is doing the London Marathon next April so I'm following her progress closely. I'm a severe asthmatic so I don't think I could cope with much more than 10k. That being said I did my first 5k in just over 30 minutes. I started with a 16 minute (road) mile for reference. :lol:

Plus my great love is martial arts, which takes
    up all my time, and it's a great all rounder.
    RMC1995 wrote: »
    @bringbackthejoy WOW! 8 miles is incredible - you are an inspiration! @glassofroses my standing desk is not convertible, it is just like, a big box that has two levels one for your keyboard and one for the monitor ($45 on Amazon). When I want to sit I put it on the ground and move my equipment down - so it all kind of works for me. Many people I know have a Vari-Desk which is fully convertible up and down very nice quality, but these are several hundred dollars.

Sounds like a good shout for the cost. Adjustable just tends to work better for me because I'm tall and I can't cross my legs under most desks and and up in a very ungraceful akimbo instead. :neutral:
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    edited September 2017
    Got dressed for work this morning and put on a pencil skirt that I haven't worn in a while. It used to fit like a glove (ok, maybe a little too tight) and now it is noticeably looser! I have about an inch of extra space at my waist and the hips are looser too. I've NEVER had extra fabric on my hips! Usually stretched to capacity!

All of this with tights and a sweater tucked into the skirt, I might add.

Plus a coworker saw me and said, "Wow you have a tiny waist!"
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    9bsqr3pbdwts.jpg

I took my measurements this morning and am down to a 22 inch waist! No amount of cardio mixed with weights seems to be helping that little muffin top at the bottom of my tunny though
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    NadNight wrote: »
    9bsqr3pbdwts.jpg

I took my measurements this morning and am down to a 22 inch waist! No amount of cardio mixed with weights seems to be helping that little muffin top at the bottom of my tunny though

• NadNight

?? :D

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited September 2017
    @NadNight if I remember correctly, you are already very lean. With your stats if you still have some fat to lose, the issue is most likely lack of muscle base. You can keep losing weight but without the muscle under it won't improve very much. I would look into recomposition or even gaining muscle by bulking (if you want to get rid of it, otherwise you can just maintain what you have since I'm sure you look amazing!)
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    @NadNight I don't know where my comment went! I was just saying I can't imagine having a 22" waist. You are so tiny!
  • NadNight
    @NadNight I don't know where my comment went! I was just saying I can't imagine having a 22" waist. You are so tiny!

I thought there was a technical glitch when your post only showed the quote with no comment! And thankyou!
  • bringbackthejoy
    I ran 8 miles today, which is my farthest ever! I learned a lot about fueling for it, next time I will be a little smarter. Mostly, though, I was up really late at a friends birthday partylast night, I'd had a few cocktails and I still made the distance today. Pretty proud of myself.
  • glassofroses
    edited September 2017
    A bit of an odd one but I didn't freak out when I was being used as a human anatomy doll.

So in training before we do a combination our teachers show it to us, demonstrating on experienced students in the class, and one of our teachers really likes for us to understand the purpose for a strike on the human body rather than to just hit the pads as this is ultimately a fighting sport. Cue lesson on uppercuts to the body and head. You want to be getting into the solar plexus as opposed to the side which is more a liver shot which is a different strike entirely. Anyway, my teacher is full on poking me in my stomach and side, turning me every which way and I didn't feel terrible about how squishy I might feel.

I also got some really good feedback on my technique/form this week which I've really appreciated as I've been working hard on getting my basics back down. And not even just my boxing but my warm up form: push ups, v-sits, toe touches, ab accessory work that I've had trouble with because the left side of my abs wasn't engaging as much as the right because of when I tore the scar tissue.

A 22in waist?! :star: for you. I think my thigh was that at one point! :lol:@NadNight I'm curious, how is your muscle tone? I have a 26in waist and I don't think I can get much smaller because my obliques are pretty much just under my skin now. Plus I'm a lot taller than you as well, aren't I? What is your end goal?

What do you mean cocktails doesn't fuel runs?? @bringbackthejoy How do you fuel normally? I generally eat when I come back so that I don't get nauseous. You're well on your way to your half. Are you excited? :heart:
  • NadNight
    edited October 2017

A 22in waist?! :star: for you. I think my thigh was that at one point! :lol:@NadNight I'm curious, how is your muscle tone? I have a 26in waist and I don't think I can get much smaller because my obliques are pretty much just under my skin now. Plus I'm a lot taller than you as well, aren't I? What is your end goal?

I have a strong core but my muscle tone is middley, I don't have a proper six pack or anything and still have a little bit of a muffin top but the top half of my stomach seems to hold less fat than the bottom so the muscle there is faintly visible. Interestingly my thighs are 20 inches which makes for weird proportions! I have years of dance to thank for those big thigh muscles!

I'm 5 ft 6, how tall are you? As for my end goal, I'm aiming to tone now and try and keep my measurements roughly where they are (wouldn't mind a couple of inches in the hip area if it comes from a curvier bum though!) without tracking my weight much. I'm looking forward to increasing my calories to build some muscle!

My weight has dropped a couple of lbs since returning to uni and being more active and I'm starting to look bony in the chest so want to gain a few lbs (I think I'm around 106 lbs at the moment which is too low even for a small frame). My ideal end goal is slim (which I've reached now) but with curves (which I managed to keep most of through the weight loss!) and more toned muscles all over. More than the physical I'm trying to reach something sustainable which may not be super-skinny like a teenage me once wanted but a body that's fit and I feel comfortable in and proud of.
  • glassofroses
    edited October 2017

I have a strong core but my muscle tone is middley, I don't have a proper six pack or anything and still have a little bit of a muffin top but the top half of my stomach seems to hold less fat than the bottom so the muscle there is faintly visible. Interestingly my thighs are 20 inches which makes for weird proportions! I have years of dance to thank for those big thigh muscles!

I'm 5 ft 6, how tall are you? As for my end goal, I'm aiming to tone now and try and keep my measurements roughly where they are (wouldn't mind a couple of inches in the hip area if it comes from a curvier bum though!) without tracking my weight much. I'm looking forward to increasing my calories to build some muscle!

My weight has dropped a couple of lbs since returning to uni and being more active and I'm starting to look bony in the chest so want to gain a few lbs (I think I'm around 106 lbs at the moment which is too low even for a small frame). My ideal end goal is slim (which I've reached now) but with curves (which I managed to keep most of through the weight loss!) and more toned muscles all over. More than the physical I'm trying to reach something sustainable which may not be super-skinny like a teenage me once wanted but a body that's fit and I feel comfortable in and proud of.

I'm like the human stretch, I'm 5'11.5. :lol: I hold the last little bit of fat low on my belly too but I've learned to live with it in the sense that for what I train for it serves me better to not be as lean as possible. I'm about 8-15kg, depending on the guy, lighter than the guys I spar with and are my height. There is literally nothing on me to stop me from falling down if they sweep me. I need some muscle to weigh me to the floor! :lol:

It's good that you can see that being a low weight isn't for you or very good for you. You want clothes to look good on you, not hang off you. :heart:
  • bringbackthejoy
    @glassofroses HaHa. If cocktails fueled runs, I'd be nationally ranked for sure! Just finished my first 10 miles. A little over a month to go and then its go time for the 1/2.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    @glassofroses - Ages ago you asked about a standing desk. I asked the person who has one and he has no idea of the brand because he got it through our health and safety rep. But it looks like this contraption. His feedback is that he really likes it.
  • RMC1995
    RMC1995 Posts: 67 Member
    I went out this weekend and bought a skimpy little dress to go clubbing in. I have never been clubbing before, and prior to now I have been too uncomfortable with me weight to buy the appropriate attire and check it out. Now that I am feeling thin and sexy I'm excited to go check out "the scene" :P I also picked up a really cute purple corset/bra/crop top thing that I can't imagine ever having had the confidence to wear before now!
  • alcomer
    alcomer Posts: 101 Member
    @glassofroses - Ages ago you asked about a standing desk. I asked the person who has one and he has no idea of the brand because he got it through our health and safety rep. But it looks like this contraption. His feedback is that he really likes it.

I have an Ergotron standing work station. I love it, I alternate throughout the day sitting and standing, really helps my back.