Low Carb ideas for weight loss

Options
After being told I need to eat more protein and fat and a lot less carbs to help keep me full and loose weight, Im a bit stumped what to have for lunch now.

I've had scrambled eggs for my breakfast and have a salad with some ham & protein cheese prepared for lunch, but I know its not enough. Normally id have a brown sandwich thin with this but obviously thats high carbs.

All I can think of is chicken and eggs, and if I eat any more eggs Ill turn into one!

I don't have any avacado here if anyone was going to suggest that, but when hubby gets paid Im going to need to do a low carb shop so could anyone help with lunch and breakfast ideas that would suit and are 'normal' every day things that I can get in say Tesco or Aldi/Lidl.

Thank you

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Nuts, fish, meat, full fat dairy, oils.
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
  • Alexandra_Faller
    Alexandra_Faller Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Nuts, fish, meat, full fat dairy, oils.

none of which I have in the house but will add to my shopping list. Thanks :smile:
    DEBOO7 wrote: »

Thank you I will take a look.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    You can swap out wheat spaghetti for butternut squash spaghetti or courgette spaghetti (think they sell this at tesco) you can try carrot and swede mash instead of potato mash (depending on how low carb you're going) Stir fry veg and meat and leave out the rice and noodles. If you have to have bread try wholemeal/grain (more protein & lower GI).

I make currys with a can of chickpeas, meat, mushrooms and a few veg instead of rice and have it on a bed of baby spinach dressed with yoghurt.

Try adding vegetarian protein stuff to food like quorn :)

Hummous and cucumber/pepper sticks to dip as a snack

I'm going to stick on this thread for some tips too, good luck.
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    Beef tacos, chicken tacos. no fat yogurt, salad, chicken sausage, etc.
  • Alexandra_Faller
    Options
    You can swap out wheat spaghetti for butternut squash spaghetti or courgette spaghetti (think they sell this at tesco) you can try carrot and swede mash instead of potato mash (depending on how low carb you're going) Stir fry veg and meat and leave out the rice and noodles. If you have to have bread try wholemeal/grain (more protein & lower GI).

I make currys with a can of chickpeas, meat, mushrooms and a few veg instead of rice and have it on a bed of baby spinach dressed with yoghurt.

Fab thank you that is really super helpful. I already use cauliflower rice instead of rice, will have to get bns spaghetti, not seen it in Tesco but think sainsburys do it. This is the hardest bit for me working out the swaps as usually I eat a lot of potatoes, brown wholemeal sandwich thins, tortilla wraps, basically all the things Im not supposed to haha.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

Fab thank you that is really super helpful. I already use cauliflower rice instead of rice, will have to get bns spaghetti, not seen it in Tesco but think sainsburys do it. This is the hardest bit for me working out the swaps as usually I eat a lot of potatoes, brown wholemeal sandwich thins, tortilla wraps, basically all the things Im not supposed to haha.

You can eat what you like - there are no food police! It was just suggested that you try to incorporate more protein and fats as a potential way to increase satiety.... You can lose weight eating carbs, and you can eat them if you want them!
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    You might want to pick up one of the Atkins books. Even if you're not going as low carb as the book suggests the information will be useful. Also check out Gourmet Girl Cooks and the 24/7 Low Carb Diner. I've frequently made recipes from both and I really enjoy them. As for your basic brown bagging it you can find low carb flat breads in most larger supermarkets (Flat Out is the brand I usually see but they sell a store brand at Aldi) or use just about anything you'd put on a sandwich to top a salad. For breakfast I usually have either bacon and eggs, a broccoli and cheese omlet, or a hash of zucchini/peppers/onions topped with a little shredded cheese and an egg or two. When I'm serious about watching my carbs I find it easier to keep my dinners simple. I usually stick with some sort of protein and a couple of vegetables.

I lost 60 pounds following the Atkins diet and while I'm not following it anymore I still eat a lot less carbs than I did in the past. The one thing that helped me in the beginning was that I avoided any of the low carb swaps for foods that I used to eat all of the time. It was easier for me just to eat differently rather than eat a minute muffin that wanted to be bread but wasn't. I also avoided any recipes that required me to order a bunch of ingredients online. If I couldn't find it in my local supermarket or health food store than I didn't make it.

Send me a friend request or message me if you have any specific questions.

Good luck!
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    See this website for a list of paleo websites:
    http://paleoiq.com/best-paleo-diet-blogs/

I use Paleo Leap and Paleo Tribe for the recipe ideas (they have some great low calorie recipe options) but this isn't necessary.

During the week, for breakfast I usually make a protein shake and switch between whey, egg white and hemp. I add things to it like Moringa, b vitamins, konjoc fiber, coconut milk. (I make this the night before)

For lunch I have a blended "salad" (parsley, carrots, celery, cucumbers, olive oil and lemon as the base and I add things like spices, onions, garlic (this week it's kimchi and miso)) along with some cooked mushrooms (I like king oyster, shittake) and greens (this week is tuscan kale) with raw apple cider vinegar. Greek yogurt with unsweetened coconut flakes.

Snacks are 1 TBSP unsweetened peanut butter and hot tea; sometimes tuna fish or sardines with baked cheese slices (they are crunchy like crackers).

Dinner is meat and low carb veggies but I do occasionally eat yams / sweet potatoes and allow myself a "cheat" day occasionally.
  • Alexandra_Faller
    Options
    stevwil41 wrote: »
    You might want to pick up one of the Atkins books. Even if you're not going as low carb as the book suggests the information will be useful. Also check out Gourmet Girl Cooks and the 24/7 Low Carb Diner. I've frequently made recipes from both and I really enjoy them. As for your basic brown bagging it you can find low carb flat breads in most larger supermarkets (Flat Out is the brand I usually see but they sell a store brand at Aldi) or use just about anything you'd put on a sandwich to top a salad. For breakfast I usually have either bacon and eggs, a broccoli and cheese omlet, or a hash of zucchini/peppers/onions topped with a little shredded cheese and an egg or two. When I'm serious about watching my carbs I find it easier to keep my dinners simple. I usually stick with some sort of protein and a couple of vegetables.

I lost 60 pounds following the Atkins diet and while I'm not following it anymore I still eat a lot less carbs than I did in the past. The one thing that helped me in the beginning was that I avoided any of the low carb swaps for foods that I used to eat all of the time. It was easier for me just to eat differently rather than eat a minute muffin that wanted to be bread but wasn't. I also avoided any recipes that required me to order a bunch of ingredients online. If I couldn't find it in my local supermarket or health food store than I didn't make it.

Good luck!

Thank you thats really super helpful. Ive never done atkins. I did look at this Keto thing but it seems quite strict so I might ease myself in and cut the carbs slowly.
  • chelseaholcombe
    chelseaholcombe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So for a low carb breakfast that is cheap and quick, I buy dannon greek light and fit (they come in 6 packs and individual, if you get the 6 pack, it's cheaper)...then I mix in a serving of PB2 (its powdered peanut butter that's basically all protein)...when you mix the PB2 with your yogurt it tastes like peanut butter and jelly so that's a plus. I eat this with 10 almonds almost every morning. It's right at 200 calories 21g protein, 8g fat, 16g carbs. Anytime you eat more protein than carbs per meal you're on the right track.
  • frannyupnorth
    frannyupnorth Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried Atkins but I do try to be mindful of carbs, generally sticking to <50g carb for a main meal.

Tins of butter beans can be warmed & mashed up and used as a substitute for potato mash. Seasonal example is here; https://bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1890/peppered-lamb-and-minty-butter-bean-mash-
    I also like to make a tomato, pepper & bean stew (sliced peppers and onions gently fried in some rapeseed oil and some smoked paprika, add tins of butter beans/ mixed beans, then passata or chopped tomato, a veg/ham stock cube and simmer for at least 10mins) and serve it with oven cooked high meat content sausages.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Agree with gliding into low carb slowly. I did it in November / December and finally found my groove in January. Your body is set up to use carbs for energy. It takes a while to make the switch. One way I did it was to reduce refined carbs and have beans instead (I like navy beans / white beans right out of the can for this). I would not cook a whole lb of pasta. I would cook half and then put in into the sauce and let it sit for about 30 minutes. The same with rice, use half and put it into the food with appropriate liquid. Once I got used to it, I didn't find it restrictive - the time I save in the grocery by cutting out the processed food isles is made up in the kitchen! BTW - check out the hawkins futura pressure cookers. They save time and let you cook in bulk.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Low carb is usually considered to be under 100 to 150g of carbs per day. I think most people could hit that by removing added sugars, refined grains (flours) and by limiting grains (corn, oats, rice) and starchy root vegetables (potatoes, yams, carrot, etc).

The easiest way to eat LCHF is to remove the starch from your plate and increase the meat and vegetables. Steak and salad, or a burger patty, cheese, raw veggies with a dip or dressing, or fish and roasted veggies, or taco meat with cheese, sour cream, olives, vegeatbles and sour cream, or pepperoni and cheese, or tuna with mayo and celery. Skipping fillers like bread, potatoes, rice and pasta is ofyen all it takes.

Ketogenic LCHF levels will require more restriction like with fruit. Most don't go this low carb unless they have a health issue that will benefit- they feel best at very low carb levels.

Try the Low Carber Daily for more ideas. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    After being told I need to eat more protein and fat and a lot less carbs to help keep me full and loose weight, Im a bit stumped what to have for lunch now.

I've had scrambled eggs for my breakfast and have a salad with some ham & protein cheese prepared for lunch, but I know its not enough. Normally id have a brown sandwich thin with this but obviously thats high carbs.

All I can think of is chicken and eggs, and if I eat any more eggs Ill turn into one!

I don't have any avacado here if anyone was going to suggest that, but when hubby gets paid Im going to need to do a low carb shop so could anyone help with lunch and breakfast ideas that would suit and are 'normal' every day things that I can get in say Tesco or Aldi/Lidl.

Thank you

Sounds like you don't need to do actual Low Carb but just to reduce carbs, which is what I did, for the same goals as you - keeping full while losing weight.

I increased protein and non-starchy veggies, and reduced rice and foods made from flour (bread, pasta, baked goods, etc.)

I increased fruit to help me with my sweet tooth (but overall carbs were reduced.) Berries are the fruits lowest in carbs. Frozen berries can be very economical, especially when foods are out of season.

Potatoes were the # 1 highest satiating food on at least one study and I find them filling as well so I don't bother reducing them. I am careful with the butter I put on them - I have some butter and some cottage cheese, which is a lot lower calorie.

A typical dinner for me these days is about 100 g each of chicken or beef, potato, and broccoli, plus some butter.

Your lunch sounds good to me, but I'd need some carbs with it to feel satisfied. I had to google 'brown sandwich thin' but if this is what you mean, that doesn't sound horrible to me. I often have a half an 8" tortilla with my salads, which gives me 10.5 g of carbs, so less than the 18 g of one thin from my link, and the same amount of fiber.
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    stevwil41 wrote: »

Good luck!

Thank you thats really super helpful. Ive never done atkins. I did look at this Keto thing but it seems quite strict so I might ease myself in and cut the carbs slowly.

I spent about a month reducing carbs and cleaning out my pantry. Bread and other carby perishables went first and I just didn't buy them after they were gone. Same with pantry items. It took a little while to really get started but it was fairly easy and I didn't have to throw out a bunch of food that I'd already bought.
  • llysak
    llysak Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey Alexandra
    I'm struggling with this low carb thing too! Can you friend me and we can try to get rid of these stubborn pounds together?