should a skinny person do cardio?

Options
let's say a 20 year old guy, 177cm (5'9) weight 60kg (132lbs) with a B.M.I of 19.5 wanted to exercise and tune his body, does he ever need cardio in his life? or should he only focus on bodybuilding?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to gain weight?
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    does he enjoy cardio? if so, i don't see why not. if the concern is that he's underweight and doesn't want to lose any more then i would suggest accurately logging calories in and calories burned to make sure that he's not in a deficit. if he wants to tone then that's going to involve eating at a surplus to build muscle and a progressive strength training program. cardio isn't necessary for that but cardio has other benefits.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    If you care about your cardiovascular health then yes. Just remember that cardio will only steal your gains if you don't account for the extra calorie burn.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Skinny people need strong hearts and that's what cardio does for you.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    If he is having problems gaining.. then there is nothing wrong with laying off the cardio for a while especially for a "hard gainer".. I wouldn't recommend forever though since it is good for your heart and health.

I typically don't do any cardio while I'm bulking (other than walking and daily activities).. I don't need to be eating 4000cals a day and chasing my surplus. No thanks.
  • Pancakes80
    Pancakes80 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    30 min of cardio a few times a week is a good amount for in regards to its health benefits and will NOT put you in a major deficit….. I only wish cardio was that effective haha!!
  • skhamiri
    skhamiri Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    If you care about your cardiovascular health then yes. Just remember that cardio will only steal your gains if you don't account for the extra calorie burn.

no i only care about having a tuned body and not my health so would i need cardio?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    skhamiri wrote: »
    Mycophilia wrote: »

no i only care about having a tuned body and not my health so would i need cardio?

I'd say you should change your mindset, because whilst you may just want to look a certain way now, you might like being healthy in the future when you realise there's more to life than looking a certain way!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Cardio and lifting can be complimentary as well as antagonistic.
    You can be both CV fit and muscular - especially at your age. You just have to eat enough to support your exercise, recovery and growth.

Do you "need" cardio, no.
    But personally I find it quite sad you don't want to aspire to being the best and healthiest you can be.
  • Rom3oJuli3tt
    Rom3oJuli3tt Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    skhamiri wrote: »
    let's say a 20 year old guy, 177cm (5'9) weight 60kg (132lbs) with a B.M.I of 19.5 wanted to exercise and tune his body, does he ever need cardio in his life? or should he only focus on bodybuilding?

Don't skimp out on the cardio. If you're still in your first year of lifting, you'll be able to lose fat and build muscle at the same time. It's hard for a natural to do so, but that first year lays the foundation.

You need to get your nutrition on point first and foremost. Nothing is going to work without having that in check. You can lift all day and still look like trash because of a trash diet.

Once your nutrition is spot on then you really need to focus on good, solid, compound lifts. Don't just go by the YouTube stars. They've been lifting almost as long as you've been alive and have really good gear to help with gains and recovery. A solid beginner program would he the 5x5 or Jim Stoppani's Shortcut to Shred.