A total beginner!

Options
Hi everyone! I am very close to my goal weight and once I hit it, I would like to gain approx 2-4 pounds of muscle.
Problem is, I have no clue how many calories I should eat...or do I set MyFitnessPal to gaining weight (2-4 pounds?) or maintenance? My stats and workout schedule is below:

Age 22
Female
8 Stone 7 pounds
5ft 5

Monday: Walk to and from work (total of 1 hour), 30 min run on Treadmill, 30 Day Shred
Tuesday: Walk to and from work (total of 1 hour), 2 Hours of Climbing
Wednesday: Walk to and from work (total of 1 hour), 30 min run on Treadmill, 30 Day Shred
Thursday: Walk to and from work (total of 1 hour), 30 min run on Treadmill, 30 Day Shred
Friday: Walk to and from work (total of 1 hour) , 30 min run on Treadmill, 30 Day Shred
Saturday:Approx 10,000 steps, 2 Hours of Climbing
Sunday: Approx 10,000 steps, 30 min run on Treadmill, 30 Day Shred

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you cant gain just muscle, you will gain a combination of muscle and fat by eating in a surplus.

you can figure out your calories based on your rate of loss now with what you're eating.

if you're currently losing 1lb per week on 1500 cals then your maintenance is roughly 2000, if you're eating 1600 and losing 0.5lb per week your maintenance is 1850, etc etc.
  • briohne128
    briohne128 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    you cant gain just muscle, you will gain a combination of muscle and fat by eating in a surplus.

you can figure out your calories based on your rate of loss now with what you're eating.

if you're currently losing 1lb per week on 1500 cals then your maintenance is roughly 2000, if you're eating 1600 and losing 0.5lb per week your maintenance is 1850, etc etc.

Oh okay! I am currently on 1200 calories so I assume I'll probably be around the 1,750 mark..
  • johnw83
    johnw83 Posts: 6,219 Member
    Options
    hello good luck reaching your goals u can do it
  • briohne128
    briohne128 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    johnw83 wrote: »
    hello good luck reaching your goals u can do it

Thank you! I have 4 more pounds to lose :smile:
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I don't see any lifting in your schedule.. just a lot of cardio and circuit training. In order to adequately stimulate your body to produce muscle, you want to follow a progressive lifting program. And I would start lifting now to help retain muscle you have.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You are unlikely to build any muscle with lots of cardio and circuit training. Your muscles require progressive resistance to grow.
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said, eating in a surplus will make you gain weight. You need an adequate lifting program to gain any substantial muscle though.
  • Laviegurl25
    Laviegurl25 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    When I first started my weight loss journeys I got a trainer to show me around the gym and what exercises to do. I am a monkey see monkey do learner. From there I had a better idea of what type of strength training I wanted to do and explore next. I have a lot of weights at home now haha. Maybe that's a place to start?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options