Lean and underweight but afraid to gain..advice?

Options
alexastoutxo
alexastoutxo Posts: 139 Member
So at the moment I'm very underweight.. 5'1, ranging from 74-78 pounds and 19 years old. I know that's very underweight but I didn't realize my weight until recently weighing myself. I'm a long distance runner and have been logging some long miles lately so I guess that's a cause for my low weight.
I'm having a hard time wanting to gain weight though because I feel great and look pretty lean. Is my low weight a dangerous weight to stay at though? Need some rational advice because it's hard to motivate myself to gain weight when I like the feeling of being lean although I'm very underweight.
Could this cause any consequences? Is it bad to stay so underweight for long? Any knowledge you guys have in this to try and motivate me would help so much and be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    This is a question for your dr and your coach
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    This is a question for your dr and your coach

This. In general, yes it can be very unhealthy to undereat and therefore be underweight. But this is info you should be getting from a professional, not here. Please take care of yourself!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    you need to get to a doctor in the near future and talk to them - also potentially a registered dietician, who can help you develop a food plan that will fuel you appropriate and help you with goals
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So at the moment I'm very underweight.. 5'1, ranging from 74-78 pounds and 19 years old. I know that's very underweight but I didn't realize my weight until recently weighing myself. I'm a long distance runner and have been logging some long miles lately so I guess that's a cause for my low weight.
    I'm having a hard time wanting to gain weight though because I feel great and look pretty lean. Is my low weight a dangerous weight to stay at though? Need some rational advice because it's hard to motivate myself to gain weight when I like the feeling of being lean although I'm very underweight.
    Could this cause any consequences? Is it bad to stay so underweight for long? Any knowledge you guys have in this to try and motivate me would help so much and be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!

1. I would seek the advice of a therapist and doctor.
    2. Yes, there are many long term issues with being underweight (comprimised immune system, weakened bones, anemia, period issues, etc...)
    3. Being lean can occur even at the high end of a weight class. If you want to be lean, it means gaining some muscle, and some fat and cycling between bulks/recomp or cut (once you are out of being underweight) to get the aesthetic you like: https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    That is very, very lean. I'm surprised your sport/energy levels have not been affected. I'm your height and the leanest I ever got after food poisoning was 90lbs. And that was too lean. Each person has a different weight they can be healthy at for a given height, but I agree with the above that you should see a doctor. If it's truly a fine weight for you and you've historically been around that weight, he would say so. I would hazard not.

Kudos for you for even questioning whether you needed to be concerned or not. That is a good sign.