Body fat % in women

Reaching out to the best forum in MFP! Have you badass women done much bodyfat testing?

I'd love to see more pictures of female athletes and their various bf%. The photos online are either oiled/tan bodybuilders in competition or non-athletes, and so I have a hard time understanding what the numbers mean. What percent do you normally carry? At what numbers do you perform best? What percentage are you after a bulk or a cut? Are you willing to share pictures?

We get hydrostatic done at our gym with the mobile dunk tank every few months. According to the test I have gained 10 lb of lean mass over 2 years and gone from 24% down to 16%. I am assuming it's not accurate- I'm not that lean, but it's a good tool to see trends in my training and diet. I'm 5'7" and around 149 lb currently. Right now I'm getting lighter because of summer running, but I'll probably bulk in the fall (I want bigger arms!)

Thanks for any insight or experiences you want to share.

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited April 2017
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10442509/body-composition-method-comparison#latest

Edit - I will probably do a follow up DXA scan in September again to see if I've gained any lean mass. I know I've gained fat. LOL I'm probably around 20% right now.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    edited April 2017
    Hi! I've got a few pictures in my profile that you can look at. According to a bod pod, I'm 15.1% body fat in those pics.

ETA: I'd LOVE to do a DXA scan!
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10442509/body-composition-method-comparison#latest

Edit - I will probably do a follow up DXA scan in September again to see if I've gained any lean mass. I know I've gained fat. LOL I'm probably around 20% right now.

Thank you for sharing that thread! Really fascinating. And... I realized my numbers might come in lower than I look because I have no boobs, LOL!!! I'm thinking about doing a bod pod to compare- there's one downtown.
  • CJ_Holmes
    leajas1 wrote: »
    Hi! I've got a few pictures in my profile that you can look at. According to a bod pod, I'm 15.1% body fat in those pics.

Thank you! You look fantastic.
  • CJ_Holmes
    abs1970 wrote: »
    z13tfdpuhopj.jpg
    Tested twice now a couple of months apart - first was 20.01%, second was 20.58% (I was told the gain was down to 'that time of the month', so carrying more water). Still want to lose more but it's a damn slow process :#

PS you look great!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    CJ_Holmes wrote: »

Thank you for sharing that thread! Really fascinating. And... I realized my numbers might come in lower than I look because I have no boobs, LOL!!! I'm thinking about doing a bod pod to compare- there's one downtown.

Yes! I was going to mention that to you. That your numbers may be spot on. Those of us without boobage can LOOK higher when we are really not. Good to know for health reasons.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 wrote: »

Thank you! You look fantastic.

Thank you! I saw you're planning on doing a bod pod - it was really fun and gave a lot of great information, not just body fat.
  • abs1970
    abs1970 Posts: 235 Member
    z13tfdpuhopj.jpg
    Tested twice now a couple of months apart - first was 20.01%, second was 20.58% (I was told the gain was down to 'that time of the month', so carrying more water). Still want to lose more but it's a damn slow process :#

PS you look great!

Thanks. Still a work in progress though o:)
  • CJ_Holmes
    z13tfdpuhopj.jpg

PS you look great!

Thanks. Still a work in progress though o:)

Yeah, if we were ever "done" what would our hobby be?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Wow you ladies look awesome! Nothing to contribute myself as I have never had my BF% tested. I just kind of go with it for my bulk/cut cycles. But this is really interesting to see all the different numbers, keep up the great work!
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    Bod pod is very accurate. Make sure they give you the instructions when you schedule. You have to wear specific items and there are instructions regarding eating and activity before the measurement.
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    Most women who exercise regularly and are in good condition are included in the "healthy" body fat range. Women ages 19 to 29 whose body fat is between 19 to 22 percent are included in the healthy range. Also included are women ages 30 to 39 with body fat between 20 to 24 percent.
  • leajas1
    Bod pod is very accurate. Make sure they give you the instructions when you schedule. You have to wear specific items and there are instructions regarding eating and activity before the measurement.

Yep. The first time I had one done I ate beforehand and had to come back.
  • CJ_Holmes
    @sumiblue your abs look so good!
  • CJ_Holmes
    @PowerliftingMom Those legs, tho!!!