Body fat % in women

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    CJ_Holmes wrote: »
    @PowerliftingMom Those legs, tho!!!

I know right?! And @Sumiblue - lies!! Your hydrostatic test was all lies! I still say there is no way you are 20+%BF. Even with your muscle mass. I'd love to see what a DXA scan showed on you.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member

Thank you :smile:
  • PowerliftingMom

I know right?! And @Sumiblue - lies!! Your hydrostatic test was all lies! I still say there is no way you are 20+%BF. Even with your muscle mass. I'd love to see what a DXA scan showed on you.

:smile:
    @Sumiblue your BF is probably closer to 17-18% probably even less
  • RedSquadronLeader
    RedSquadronLeader Posts: 84 Member
    @PowerliftingMom what's your routine like to get legs like that?! Well done!
  • PowerliftingMom
    @PowerliftingMom what's your routine like to get legs like that?! Well done!

Thank you. I have 1 day a week I do high volume of deadlifts and heavy squats, then another day I do heavy deadlifts and high volume squats. I also do lots of rack pulls and leg presses. I used to do hip thrusts with a barbell up to 275 lbs. but I haven't done those in a while. My legs have always been pretty muscular, probably from skiing every weekend when I was younger. My body fat was super low so I had to start bulking because I was getting weaker. I'm about 15 lbs. heavier now and have lost some of the definition in my quads :-1:
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    edited April 2017
    Unfortunately, I can't get a Dexa anywhere near me unless I get a bone scan ordered. I'm 48 and perimenopausal so maybe my Dr will order one :D
    I don't know what to believe. Calipers (self performed) tell me I'm at 19% now, my scale says 21.4%. I have gained a bit of fat back since my bikini photo. I thought hydrostatic tests were pretty accurate, though? I got it fine at a local college in their sports nutrition center.
    You all look great! And, wow @PowerliftingMom ! You inspire me to keep working!
  • PowerliftingMom
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I can't get a Dexa anywhere near me unless I get a bone scan ordered. I'm 48 and perimenopausal so maybe my Dr will order one :D
    I don't know what to believe. Calipers (self performed) tell me I'm at 19% now. I have gained a bit of fat back since my bikini photo. I thought hydrostatic tests were pretty accurate, though? I got it fine at a local college in their sports nutrition center.

Thank you. I thought those hydrostatic tests were accurate as well.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    I don't know what to believe. Calipers (self performed) tell me I'm at 19% now, my scale says 21.4%. I have gained a bit of fat back since my bikini photo. I thought hydrostatic tests were pretty accurate, though? I got it fine at a local college in their sports nutrition center.

Only thing I can see is if you carry a lot of fat around your internal organs rather than subcutaneously.

Also, the dr I got mine done at billed it to the insurance and they paid it! It wasn't even my regular dr.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    @Gimsteinn1 awesome work! What a transformation! What kind of testing do you get?
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    I have no idea what my body fat is, but I've been wondering about that lately myself. I was looking to get a DXA scan.
  • CJ_Holmes
    @Gimsteinn1 makes sense! And yeah, no real need to get a Dexa and know all the details. You seem very in tune with you body. I get very motivated by numbers and find it fascinating! I want to see my bone density so I will probably spring for the Dexa for my birthday. :)
  • lady_ghost
    lady_ghost Posts: 175 Member
    abs1970 wrote: »
    z13tfdpuhopj.jpg
    Tested twice now a couple of months apart - first was 20.01%, second was 20.58% (I was told the gain was down to 'that time of the month', so carrying more water). Still want to lose more but it's a damn slow process :#

Loose more? Where you look great!
  • abs1970
    abs1970 Posts: 235 Member
    lady_ghost wrote: »
    z13tfdpuhopj.jpg
    Tested twice now a couple of months apart - first was 20.01%, second was 20.58% (I was told the gain was down to 'that time of the month', so carrying more water). Still want to lose more but it's a damn slow process :#

Thanks, but that pic is good lighting! My end goal is to compete in fitness modelling and my body fat is way too high for that!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    lady_ghost wrote: »
    z13tfdpuhopj.jpg

Thanks, but that pic is good lighting! My end goal is to compete in fitness modelling and my body fat is way too high for that!

Is a fitness model competition similar to a bodybuilding (bikini) competition?
  • abs1970
    abs1970 Posts: 235 Member
    Actually not sure what the difference is, but I think they're similar
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Thanks @Gimsteinn1 that is interesting. Sounds like Model Fitness is similar to bikini. Sometimes I think I would love to compete but honestly I could not imagine dedicating that much time, money and leaning out that low. It's just not something I think I can do. Maybe in 6-7 years and a few more bulk cycles later, I will give it some more thought ;)
  • A_Rene86
    A_Rene86 Posts: 141 Member
    Thank you @Gimsteinn1 ! I think I'm going to spring for a real test so I have an idea what I'm actually working with.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    A_Rene86 wrote: »
    Thank you @Gimsteinn1 ! I think I'm going to spring for a real test so I have an idea what I'm actually working with.

You can estimate with the Navy calculation. http://www.calculator.net/body-fat-calculator.html
  • A_Rene86
    A_Rene86 Posts: 141 Member
    Thank you @FreyasRebirth I'll check that out.

Just went through the rest of the thread and have to say back at ya, @Gimsteinn1! Wow, what a transformation!
  • CJ_Holmes
    Gimsteinn1 wrote: »
    @A_Rene86 That's not the right BF% for you by far. You look great.

Seconding that- way off. Unfortunately those tests can be wildly inaccurate! See if there is a university near you with exercise science- they might have bod pod, hydrostatic, and/or Dexa.