Home workout buddies to share ideas and help keep motivated

Replies

• debbieled12
    debbieled12 Posts: 13 Member
    edited May 2017
    I had joined the daily burn and ejoy have so many different workout options
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    This looks like an active group. I used to have a nice, well-equiped home gym. Now I live in a small apartment so I make do.

I've been doing some exercise DVDs or YouTube. I have a variety of DVDs, but right now I'm really liking my Tracy Anderson ones and I want to buy some more. I usually do either a 25 or 55 minute Mat workout. A few times a week, I do beginner dance cardio for 15-30 minutes. This is quite comical as I am completely uncoordinated with no sense of rhythm whatsoever. I've been attempting to progress to the Perfect Design Series, but I'm not strong enough yet. I also walk about 3 miles most days at varying paces. If I don't do a dance video, I walk faster. If I do the DVD, I just enjoy the stroll. I'm fortunate to have a beach to walk on.

After several years with little exercise, I'm just starting over again. It'll take me a while to regain some strength, balance and flexibility, but so far, I'm quite impressed with my progress. I feel much stronger and I'm noticeably smaller. I do prefer sweating and panting and tripping over my own feet in my living room to doing it in public at the gym. And I have been known to curse loudly at the television.

Someone mentioned issues with their carpet. I'm using a yoga mat, but still, my wool area rug in the living room is suffering. My shoes seem to be pulling a lot of balls of fibers from it. That can't be good. I may have to get a larger mat to cover it. I have apartment carpet under the area rug...maybe I should just roll up the nice rug and make the cheap carpet suffer.

For those of you who don't have a heart rate monitor or similar, how do you log your exercise DVDs on MFP? So many of them seem to be a combo of strength and cardio.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Why wear shoes if working out on carpet at home? I don't. For Tracy Anderson mat workouts, I would log those as Pilates. For the dance, you can use aerobics, general(unless its a lot of jumping, then use the high-impact option).

This morning I did The Firm's 500 calorie workout with dumbbells, most of PiYo full body blast, and walked my dogs.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    I have been logging it as Pilates since I supposed they may have a similar burn. I choose dance for the dance ones. I wear the shoes because there's a lot of standing on one foot while working the other leg and I feel like my arches need the support.

I'm extremely impressed with how much activity some of you get.
  • DancingMoosie
    Today I did Turbo Jam #2 and fitness yoga upper body (morning), Kendall Hogan's "boot camp" cardio (evening).
  • HoneyRose77
    HoneyRose77 Posts: 42 Member
    Hi I'm new to this group. I've got dvds, Wii and Dance dvds, exercise ball, weights, kettle bells and a treadmill. I like the 30 day challenges you find online. I need to get motivated. But have heard that push yourself to do an action, and motivation will follow. Here's to hoping it works. I also have a nice walking path nearby. I have to be careful due to neck surgery recovery. I know exercise will help with my stress and sleep... I've got to start sooner rather than later. Any suggestions for getting out of a slump?
  • DancingMoosie
    Just get started and keep moving. Stick with exercise you find enjoyable.
  • mkeonem
    mkeonem Posts: 41 Member
    Good morning, was busy this weekend working on the yard. Mowed and chopped down some large hedges on Saturday for about 1hr of work.

Sunday mowed the other half of the yard, used the weed eater around the fence and front walk and then chopped and hauled off more small trees/large hedges.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Oh boy oh boy did I get some workouts in this weekend!
    On Friday I ran 2 miles then walked another 3 and followed that up with some upper body weights - specifically several variations of biceps curls, triceps kickbacks, chest press, and rows.
    Saturday I ran another 2 miles over very hilly terrain and then had a surprise workout that consisted of carrying 2 truckloads of rocks down 4 flights of stairs. I decided to go for the gold so ran up the stairs to get the next rock (lots of drinking and party food was happening that night so I wanted the calorie room). After that I did a little recreational swimming/treading water and went dancing. Ended up with almost 26,000 steps, 127 flights of stairs, and just shy of 4,000 calories burned according to my Fitbit.
    Sunday I decided to skip the run since this time they told me they were going to be getting more rocks. Legs were burning from the prior day so I only ran up 1 flight of the stairs instead of all of them. More treading water happened too.
    Monday was rest day so just a little swimming.

This morning I did a walk/run on the treadmill and I am hoping for some Pilates tonight. Going to have to get a little creative for a few days/weeks as I now have a huge blood blister at the base of my big and second toes.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    10 reps per exercise moving through each circuit non-stop for 10 minutes:

Circuit #1
    35lb Kettlebell swings (American style)
    R leg split squat
    35lb Kettlebell swings (Russian style)
    L leg split squat
    50lb Kettlebell deadlifts

Circuit #2
    12lb med ball situps
    12lb med ball Russian twists
    18lb boby bar weighted glute bridge
    Bosu scissor crunches

Circuit #3
    Weighted step ups (10 each leg while holding 12lb dumbbells in each hand)
    Thrusters with the 18lb body bar
    Upside down Bosu squats

Finished up with some donkey kicks, leg raises, and stretching

Did this again today but with very light or no weights (25lb KB swings and no dumbbells on the step ups)
  • enuf2
    enuf2 Posts: 272 Member
    This looks like a great group. I love working out at home. We have a decent little gym in the basement: free weights, treadmill, universal gym (I don't use that). I get bored easily so I really like to mix things up. Also, I go hard for a month or two, then do NOTHING for a month or two. I need to stay consistent!! I love videos online and pinterest to add variety. I also play tennis once/week and kayak as well. I just started a 28 day Chris Freytag program.(with some variation) All bodyweight. Day 4 tonight. I am out of town this wknd so I plan on bringing my computer and working out in the hotel room. There..I said it... now I have to! LOL!!

So far this week:
    Sat - Bodyweight "coming down the ladder" (reps) - 30 min
    Mon - Calorie Sizzler (Hiit)- - 30 min
    Tues - Bodyweight Intervals - 45 min (tabata)

• mkeonem
    This past weekend was quite successful in the realm of yard work.
    Saturday: Spent about an hour mowing the back yard and cutting down some large hedges and hauling them off.
    Sunday: 1.5hrs I mowed the front, edged the entire front and around the fence in the back with the weed eater and then we chopped down some more large hedges (5'4" and higher cause they were at least my height!!) but my hubby did the cutting and I did the hauling!
    Monday: Had a cook out with friends and played some frisbee while the kids swung and ran around
    Tuesday: I went for a 3mi bike ride
    Today: strength training day. I did:
    5min warm up on stepper
    3 x 8 Bench Press 25# band
    1 x 10 Cross-over 20# band
    3 x 10 Rows 20# band
    1 x 15 Back Flyes 20# band
    3 x 15 Squats 15# band
    2 x 10 Curls 15# band
    2 x 8 Skull-Crushers 25# band
    2 x 10 Triceps Extensions 15# band
    2 x 8 Shoulder Press 15# band
    2 x 8 Lateral Raises 15# band
    1 x 10 Up-right Rows 15# band
    3 x 8 Good-Mornings 15# band
    3 x 10 Calf Raises 15# band
    3 x 20 Crunches non-weighted
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    I have a set of hex dumbbells, weight bench, and a treadmill in my basement. I try to lift weights 3 times a week and either walk outside after the kids are in bed or on the treadmill if it's crummy outside. Nothing fancy, but it works for me with my current schedule.
  • Treehugger_88
    Treehugger_88 Posts: 207 Member
    I live in a tiny town with no gym and a teeny apartment smaller than your average hotel room (no room for a home gym or much equipment) so home bodyweight workouts are my go-to. I have a set of 5 lb weights, a 10 lb kettlebell and 15 lb weight. I do youtube workout videos 4-6 days a week. I mix it up between cardio, kettlebell, tabata and HIIT workouts.

_Christine Salus
    -fitness blender
    -HASfit.

They all have lots of variety of lengths, intensities and focuses. So lots to choose from.
  • Tiikerinraidat
    Tiikerinraidat Posts: 61 Member
    I use Kelly Coffey-Meyer's DVDs to work out at home. I'm not very active on the forums but do log in the app every day so feel free to add me :)
  • Tiikerinraidat
    Tiikerinraidat Posts: 61 Member
    Someone mentioned tiny space. My apartment is very small but I manage to do all Kelly Coffey-Meyer's workouts (have a bit trouble with the older cardio workouts as they require a bit more space) in my extremely tiny space. And I got dumbbells, a barbell, a step bench (when not in use, it's under my bed), weighted gloves, resistance band, stability ball.
  • mkeonem
    Yesterday I got a short evening walk in but cut it short when I started to be swarmed by yellow flies....didn't feel like being eaten up!

Today I did another strength circuit with my resistance bands:
    5min warm up on stepper
    3 x 8 Bench Press 25# band
    1 x 10 Cross-over 20# band
    3 x 10 Rows 20# band
    1 x 15 Back Flyes 20# band
    3 x 15 Squats 15# band
    2 x 10 Curls 15# band
    2 x 8 Skull-Crushers 25# band
    2 x 10 Triceps Extensions 15# band
    2 x 8 Shoulder Press 15# band
    2 x 8 Lateral Raises 15# band
    1 x 10 Up-right Rows 15# band
    3 x 8 Good-Mornings 15# band
    3 x 10 Calf Raises 15# band
    1 x 20 Crunches non-weighted
    2 x 10 Crunches non-weighted
    2 x 10 Leg Lifts non-weighted
  • DancingMoosie
    T25 core focus takes almost no space!
  • DancingMoosie
    T25 again. Love that one!
  • archishaganguly23
    archishaganguly23 Posts: 6 Member
    I lost 42 pounds by just working out at home. I am a high school senior and I have barely any time to do the YouTube workouts. I usually do HIIT workouts because they are short and effective and mcro-monitor what I eat. Blogilates, fitness blender, fitness Marshall etc have great workouts to squeeze in before I leave for school at 6:30 am.