Talk to me about C25K - considering starting this challenge

I'm seriously considering starting this on Tuesday alongside my gym based training (mostly strength, some circuit/cardio) because my cardio levels are so utterly rubbish. I plan to do it on days that I also go the gym so that I keep rest days in between. A run before work in the morning, and then gym in the evening.

Do you current C25K runners and graduates have any tips to help make this a successful attempt?

The best I've ever done is 5.6k in 42:16. Mostly power walking, slow start (large crowd taking time to disperse). Given that, running 5k has got to be achievable, hasn't it?

Replies

• rachel141269
    rachel141269 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi. I didn't do the actual program but like you was already walking so just started running a bit. It's taken time but I can now run 5k without stopping. Takes me a while- 38 minutes but I love it. Not bad for a 47 year old. I lost 5 stone last year. Good luck.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    It's a good program to introduce you to 5K running...if you're reasonably fit, it's not a huge challenge, however. It's a good introductory program and I did it pretty much literally coming off the couch...all I really did before was some walking. A 5K is a pretty easy run ultimately, so yes...definitely achievable.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Currently on week 2 and loving it. My son and I train together and are having a great time. The first workout was interesting, as I'm not a runner (and my son was desperate to run faster than I was going) but all those afterwards have been easier, even when week 2 increased the run time.

I was worried about starting it but it's fine. Good fun and ever so slightly addictive.

I don't have much advice to offer as I've only just started but saw a comment about "run as slowly as you can" - this has really helped me. My running is more of a plodding but that'll improve, I'm sure. Don't skip parts of the program, for example, there is a five minute walk at the beginning and end of each workout. We like to do a series of stretching exercises at the end of each workout (we probably look barmy but who cares?).

Next workout is tomorrow, really looking forward to it :)

Try it. If you don't like it, don't continue.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Thank you all for the feedback and tips, and well done to you already at the 5k level!
    And I know you mean well with your plan to double up on the gym days, but you may find that you need to focus on just this for a while, and make the most room for rest that you can. You are not just getting your heart and lungs used to this, but your whole body, and part of the ease-in is about avoiding injury. Just be aware.

That's very helpful! I might try it and in turn reduce my cardio at the gym to see if it's sustainable.

• rianneonamission
    Well, I have started. Feeling good for doing some early morning exercise!
  • kazredhead
    kazredhead Posts: 13 Member
    I started the C25K on Sunday and so did day two today. I have done it before but am finding it a lot easier this time as am combining it with strength training.....early morning is good - gets the day set up nicely..
  • megan_elizabeth8
    megan_elizabeth8 Posts: 216 Member
    I did C25K and loved it! I never thought I'd be able to run, but the program makes it so achievable! Best tip I ever received: take it as slow as you need to at the beginning, speed will come with time!
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Finished C25K a couple weeks back and now I'm on to longer runs and some interval training. For me, it was amazing. I went from sucking wind jogging 90 seconds straight to running 32 minutes straight (currently) and feeling good at the end. I highly recommend it. Others have mentioned to go slow. That's important. The biggest piece of advice I can give is to make sure you have proper running shoes. Fit for you at a running store. It's not cheap, but this is the first time I've been running where I haven't gotten hurt since I got good shoes. (I wasn't so smart in my younger years.) Best of luck!!
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Another newbie here. I started on Saturday and then accidentally skipped to W2D1 today. I do my runs in the morning at 5.30am and then a gym session with a PT in the evening at 5pm. So far so good. My runs are so slow (8kph)!
  • rianneonamission
    I do my runs in the morning at 5.30am and then a gym session with a PT in the evening at 5pm. So far so good. My runs are so slow (8kph)!

5:30am....ouch! Do you find C25K and PT combines well so far? I will be running between 7am and 8am on weekday mornings. Weekends TBC. I train with a PT once a week (today, at 7:30pm) and then train by myself 3-4 more evenings a week.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    I should add the I'm knackered by 8pm and am usually asleep by then!

PT and running seem to be working well so far - we do mainly weights and HIIT sessions rather than cardio.

I also swim 2500m four times a week so that helps with the cardio too.
  • CrystalRoseMeow
    CrystalRoseMeow Posts: 24 Member
    I just started this week as well. So far I love it. I run at a snail pace but I have yet to require walking before my alert. I have moderate asthma and struggle with an old foot injury so it's been great to find a tool that is helping me improve my running weakness. I mostly do strength training (crossfit/oly lifting/powerlifting) and yoga so it's helping me achieve a better balance with my workouts.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    I did C25k 6 years ago after years as a walker/hiker and have since run three marathons. It's a good beginners' program. As stated above, keep your running pace slow and easy. You should be able to speak whole sentences while you're running. If you are puffing and panting, you are going too fast. If you have a hard time making the jumps in time/distance, it's okay to repeat days or even weeks.

If you are doing upper body work at the gym, or yoga or pilates, it's okay to double up on the same day. If you're doing leg work, you might want to do that on different days.
  • hippybagsue
    hippybagsue Posts: 3 Member
    Its a really good programme.

Some weeks I thought it was wayy too much of a jump - the increase in running time was too big. So I just repeated the week for a couple of weeks until I could do it comfortably.

Also... the 30mins for 5k bit was optimistic for me. Still working on that, but I can still run for 30mins longer than before!

If you have a local Parkrun, its worth heading over to do a free timed 5k. Very friendly anx supportive community.

Hope it goes well!
  • rianneonamission
    If you have a local Parkrun, its worth heading over to do a free timed 5k. Very friendly anx supportive community.

Hope it goes well!

Thank you! Am intending to do a parkrun when I have completed the programme. Something to aim for :smile:
  • Deresha1977
    Deresha1977 Posts: 17 Member
    I started the nhs c25k program in July last year. I followed the weeks quite strictly ie didn't jymp ahead even when I thought I could. In conjuction with running and dieting i have lost 6 stone and reversed my diabetes. I'm nearly 40. Now i run 5 kilometers 3 or 4 times per week. I'm hooked. Also check out parkrun.org in your area for local running encouragement.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Do a search for c25k and you'll get 5 million threads with tips!
  • phrobbert
    phrobbert Posts: 47 Member
    A good few years back I did the C25K program from a starting point of barely being capable of running to the end of the street. It's worth doing.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I'm another C25K graduate. I now run 5K almost every day.

It's great, and I too echo the advice to go slowly. And if you think you're running slowly, go even slower. Also, don't be afraid to repeat days or weeks if you feel that they were a bit challenging before moving ahead. Everything should feel like a natural progression and not be overly taxing.
  • rianneonamission
    The time increase in week two has slowed me down. I thought I was running slowly already, but it appears not!