How long are you sore?

Options
I just started crossfit and plan on going mon thru Friday. I am very out of shape and did half the exercises of everyone else and it is difficult to walk. How long does it take for this feeling to subside?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    If I've really overdone a new exercise ... about 3 days, but it gets better as I go along. It also feels better if I stretch in a hot shower, ensure I'm hydrated, and go for walks.
  • JonDrees
    JonDrees Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    When you start a new program it could take up to a week to recover completely. In normal circumstances, it should only last 1-3 days.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    first time i did 'circuit training' with the first lunges and squats that i've ever heard of, it took me two weeks. but i was 48, eating 1200 calories maximum, had no interest in protein and i continued to ride a 24km round trip every weekday that included about a mile at an 8% gradient. i didn't do my recovery any favours.

now that i'm used to strength training three times a week, any soreness usually takes 24 hours to come on and i'm usually back in business after 24 more. your body gets used to it. your brain also gets used to not letting your body do way over-challenging stuff that will lay you flat for a week.
  • pothosgirl
    pothosgirl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sidesteel I like your recommendation to go often with less work in the beginning and gradually increase training. I want this so bad and I think going more frequently will help make it a habit.

Gimsteinn1 you look fabulous! Thanks for the advice!

• 1coolmofo
    1coolmofo Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Depending on the intensity 2-3 days. As previously stated stretch before and after work out Also keep hydrated. I started taking ZMA supplement to aide in recovery and sleep. Took 2 the first time while so sore I could hardly move my arms and woke up 90% better. Check and see if that is an option for you. It is,cheap and readily available.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    After intense leg day, it takes up to 2 full days (not including the remaining portion of the day after I worked out) for me to be able to sit comfortably again. For arms it's 1-2 full days for me depending.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    pothosgirl wrote: »
    Sidesteel I like your recommendation to go often with less work in the beginning and gradually increase training. I want this so bad and I think going more frequently will help make it a habit.

Gimsteinn1 you look fabulous! Thanks for the advice!

I know you attempted to do this by doing "about half" of what the class did, but I'd do even less than that. Considerably less given your level of soreness.

For reference, when I am coaching a new trainee I start most people out with 1 set per exercise and about 4 to 5 different exercises for the first week.

If it's an experienced trainee who is returning after short break I might start with 2 sets per exercise.

And I will have them leave MULTIPLE reps "in the tank" at the completion of each set, or in other words training NOWHERE NEAR failure in the first week.

Somewhere between weeks 2 and 4 depending on feedback I will add another set. Anywhere from week 3 to week 5 typically I would expect people to be at a more reasonable training volume and slightly higher intensity (perhaps 2-4 reps from failure on most sets and occasionally 1 to 2 reps from failure).

Basically what I'm getting at is that you ease people into it.

Week 1 should be practice for the most part. You are preparing yourself for regular training in the upcoming weeks.

Crossfit tho...
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I hope someone who does crossfit will share their experience with healing time with you soon!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you go 4-5x per week, you will probably be sore all the time!
  • getupforchange
    getupforchange Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Day two is always the worst for me. If I do something new on a Monday, Tuesday will be okay but Wednesday I'll be crying haha! After that it goes away pretty much overnight.
  • neilhoopy
    neilhoopy Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Keep at it ..don't give up..being sore means your giving it your all..it will last a day or 2..won't be long and you will be doing all the exercises
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Days. And I been exercising for almost 3 years.
  • doughd2
    doughd2 Posts: 86 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Three year Crossfitter here. :# When I first started, that "hit by a bus" feeling lasted two weeks or so, I'd say. And I was going into it in relatively good shape, but new to barbell work. I'd scale back for the first few weeks with how many days you go, and when you start feeling less terrible after the workouts, ramp up the number of days. I go every day now and soreness doesn't usually impact anything for me now. I feel it, but nothing awful. (Sure, there are some workouts that get me for a couple days, but it's not the norm) I've gotten to be a good judge of when to give it my all and when to take dial back the intensity some days.
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    If you are that sore, you should scale back even more for the first week and progressively work your way into it. After a few weeks, you won't feel near the soreness. If you try to go too hard right away, you are going to skip the next 4-5 days due to soreness and your body will be just as sore after that workout.
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    pothosgirl wrote: »
    I just started crossfit and plan on going mon thru Friday. I am very out of shape and did half the exercises of everyone else and it is difficult to walk. How long does it take for this feeling to subside?

Well if u are that out of shape then a 3 day workout may be better to start make sure you get enough protein in too at least body weight in grams of protein so if u r 130 then u should get at least a 130 grams of protein... also Tiger Balm is Great too I swear by it ...
  • stelly76
    stelly76 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I used to get all hyped up about exercising again after I hadn't done it for awhile. I'd go in all balls to the wall and be too exhausted and sore to want to do it anymore. Now I start slow and steady and work up to the more difficult classes and exercises. It takes patience, but it's worth it.
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    2 days after leg day kills me, every week.
  • stelly76
    stelly76 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    tjkita wrote: »
    2 days after leg day kills me, every week.

I'm a second day sore person, too.