Giving Up the Incline Bench Press! :)

Options
It's just common sense - in life we rarely push straight up or at an angle upwards - most of our upper-body pushing action is best simulated by the decline bench.

I'm finding there's so little time in life so I'm whittling the routine to the best, bare essentials to help in EVERYDAY LIVING!

The "bodybuilding" ethos and strategies pushed on us by the steroid-monkeys and publishers has been unnatural, unhealthy, and simply insane. :)

Replies

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I don't do incline bench but I do overhead press and let me say this. I hate that lift. But I used the hell out of it in a practical way two weekends ago when I had to lift 8ft sections of fence onto a trailer, over and over again. I totally had an "aha!" moment and was so proud.
  • KirbySmith46
    KirbySmith46 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Doing the incline press works the upper chest muscles. You know? The ones that make you look good in a tee shirt??? Yeah those!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It's just common sense - in life we rarely push straight up or at an angle upwards - most of our upper-body pushing action is best simulated by the decline bench.

I'm not sure if you're serious or trolling us, but there's at least as many upward or straight pushing movements in life than downward. For me:

- pushing furniture or the refrigerator, to clean behind it
    - forcing a heavy piece of luggage into a cramped overhead bin on air flights
    - pushing my 500 lb scooter uphill during maintenance
    - boxing a heavy bag
    - trimming tree branches with a pole saw

Like you, i workout to prepare for everyday living so i've replaced all bench exercises with unsupported movements, to simulate how the entire body works together. For example the 1-arm cable press: :+1:

7uYBccC.gif

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

I'm not sure if you're serious or trolling us, but there's at least as many upward or straight pushing movements in life than downward. For me:

- pushing furniture or the refrigerator, to clean behind it
    - forcing a heavy piece of luggage into a cramped overhead bin on air flights
    - pushing my 500 lb scooter uphill during maintenance
    - boxing a heavy bag
    - trimming tree branches with a pole saw

Like you, i workout to prepare for everyday living so i've replaced all bench exercises with unsupported movements, to simulate how the entire body works together. For example the 1-arm cable press: :+1:

7uYBccC.gif

I was thinking about putting a carry on in the bin too. I use incline pressing quite a bit.

To each their own, OP. Glad you are finding what works for you!
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

I'm finding there's so little time in life so I'm whittling the routine to the best, bare essentials to help in EVERYDAY LIVING!

The "bodybuilding" ethos and strategies pushed on us by the steroid-monkeys and publishers has been unnatural, unhealthy, and simply insane. :)

not sure if you are serious or trolling? I guess you aren't interested in developing upper chest muscles?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    Uhh ok.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you plan on having your training exclusively designed to mirror every-day life needs you probably wouldn't do ANY bench pressing. I'm not buying the argument that decline benching is in any way more applicable to real life situations compared to incline benching.

I doubt you are going to find many situations in life where you are required to lay at an angle and push something off of you. Changing that angle from an incline to a decline doesn't suddenly make it applicable to every day life situations.

Overhead press on the other hand, probably has better carry-over.

Of course this all hinges on the idea that your training should have high specificity to real life and I don't like the premise to begin with.
  • ItsAllMental819
    ItsAllMental819 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Really??? As some have already said in much nicer terms - I hope you're trolling cause this is one of the dumbest things I've read!
    Guessing you have given up squatting too cause we never use our legs in everyday life...
    Thanks though, this made me laugh :D
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    If you plan on having your training exclusively designed to mirror every-day life needs you probably wouldn't do ANY bench pressing. I'm not buying the argument that decline benching is in any way more applicable to real life situations compared to incline benching.

I doubt you are going to find many situations in life where you are required to lay at an angle and push something off of you. Changing that angle from an incline to a decline doesn't suddenly make it applicable to every day life situations.

Of course this all hinges on the idea that your training should have high specificity to real life and I don't like the premise to begin with.

Functional training, yo! :D One-handed kettlebell OHP on a Bosu Ball or GTFO.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    SideSteel wrote: »

Functional training, yo! :D One-handed kettlebell OHP on a Bosu Ball or GTFO.

Have you seen that clip that Alan Aragon has posted a few times, of Naudi Aguilar doing his little hippity-hop twisting jumpy thingy to music, in a grassy field?

It's comedic gold.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to leave this here :D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NgLq6d_w4e4
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    I do BPs and OHPs but I don't do incline presses. However, I also do decline push-ups and dips to work the upper chest (in addition to the other muscles they work).
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    The incline press also directly influences your overhead press. When ever you raise your arms it's done by both your pectoralis minor and your anterior deltoid. Which are both the prime muscles used during the incline press.

Sooooo...
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Switching to dumbbell/kettleball seems smart, but people tell me you need a spotter. Machine are, at least, safe.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Realistically if I wanted my strength training to have maximal carryover to real life I'd probably focus exclusively on strongman training along with some obstacle training.

Having said that, the traditional powerlifting movements have had incredible carryover to real life. The most important is probably grip strength, all things considered. Doesn't matter how strong you are if you can't hold onto something.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to think of something I do in real life that simulates decline bench and the only thing I can come up with is pushing one of my dogs away.