Super Low Blood pressure

Options
roboliciousbob
roboliciousbob Posts: 134 Member
edited April 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Anyone else get super low blood pressure when you have been working out for a while? Mine always gets so low, like 84/56 resting(but I have had lower readings, this was just my most recent check). My mom also has super low blood pressure so it's partly heritary. I have noticed (from past weightloss attempts) that it gets 'worse' when I am exercising regularly. I get super dizzy and light headed if I get up suddenly from laying down, sitting or squatting low. I also get cold really easily and it's tough to warm up once I am cold.

Replies

• yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Are you doing low carb or IF?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Anyone else get super low blood pressure when you have been working out for a while? Mine always gets so low, like 84/56 resting(but I have had lower readings, this was just my most recent check). My mom also has super low blood pressure so it's partly heritary. I have noticed (from past weightloss attempts) that it gets 'worse' when I am exercising regularly. I get super dizzy and light headed if I get up suddenly from laying down, sitting or squatting low. I also get cold really easily and it's tough to warm up once I am cold.

This is something to discuss with your doctor. There may be easy fixes like eating more carbs or adding more salt but you really should get a professional opinion rather than random internet opinions.
  • roboliciousbob
    Options
    Not really. Usually my carbs are around 30-40%. I am trying to at least get 25%-30% protein though(it's the only macro that I really pay much attention to). I still eat carbs, try to eat 'healthier' more complex carbs but not always.
  • Xymheia
    Xymheia Posts: 65 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I get lightheaded sometimes when getting up too quickly, but my blood pressure is probably not as low as yours. I know feeling cold though, particularly icy feet. Make sure you're not dehydrated, especially while exercising and be careful when getting up/squatting/deadlifts/situps etc. maybe a sports drink helps a bit (salt & electrolytes). I suggest to discuss it with your doctor too just to make sure there is no underlying problem, that you can exercise safely, and to see if you can do something about it. Steady state cardio can help with the cold body problem because it improves your circulation, but do a proper warm up and cool down. When sitting for long periods, you can try stretching gently to prevent blood pooling.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    That's called orthostatic hypotension, I used get that too. Yeah I usually run on the low side (not quite as low as you, I'm usually about 106 Systolic).

One of the things that I've found that definitely helps with that is upping my salt intake. I use lite salt (it's NaCl+K) on breakfast and dinner.

You might still want to go to your PCP and get a blood draw.
  • roboliciousbob
    Options
    I am due for a check up, I haven't been to the doc in a couple years.... just wondered if it was really common. I hear a lot about people with high blood pressure but hardly anything on very low.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It happens @roboliciousbob . You don't want to faint and knock your head. I started to get low blood pressure when I lost a lot of weight and negotiated my way off my BP pills. I also warned my co-workers just in case.
  • roboliciousbob
    Options
    No, I don't really want to faint and hit my head. I've come very close to doing this in the past. That's great that you are no longer on BP medicine!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Low BP is not as common as high BP, but it is a thing. It can be no big deal or a symptom of other medical issues. Give the symptoms you describe, I agree with talking to your doctor. Keep your own record of BP readings and give it to doctor so s/he has something to go on besides that day's reading.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Mine is low/normal. I have trouble when doing deadlifts, glute bridges, and hip thrusts. I get up too fast, start to black out. I can feel it coming and can bend down or run in place. I take propel (electrolytes drink) with me to the gym now and also a salty snack in my bag for emergencies.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    I have low blood pressure, and sometimes really low. But I've found that increasing my salt intake a little bit helps.
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Mine is low/normal. I have trouble when doing deadlifts, glute bridges, and hip thrusts. I get up too fast, start to black out. I can feel it coming and can bend down or run in place. I take propel (electrolytes drink) with me to the gym now and also a salty snack in my bag for emergencies.

This is me! It's gotten really bad in the last 2 yrs, the only way I keep from fainting is bending over. My dr suggested adding salt back into diet, which I have but it hasn't helped. When I press for more tests/answers he never pursues it. 1 of the reasons why I'm looking for new Dr.

Curious as how original poster determined her blood pressure while working out? I often think mine gets worse after exercising but not just immediately, but for days after.
  • a_candler
    Options

How did you determine your blood pressure? Curious as I have this exact issue but dr never take me serious when I question them for answers.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    My BP taken when giving blood is usually around 90/60 and I have always had to be careful not to get up too quickly. I've never had any problems while working out though. My mom is the same way. Any doctors or nurses who have taken my BP have always said 90/60 was great, but if it's causing you to feel faint you should def bring it up with your doctor.
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I've had low blood pressure but not that low, yet definitely low enough to feel the dizziness when standing up. My doctors have never been concerned with the exception of when I had our daughter. My blood pressure dropped dangerously low and the doctors had to act quickly to bring it back up, so that I didn't have to have an emergency c-section. Obviously there were other things at play in that scenario, so I don't think that I can assume they are 100% related. Saying that, I've also had low blood sugars on more than one blood test. My doctor said that sometimes low blood sugar and low blood pressure can go hand in hand. I don't now the science behind that and if it is even true. I definitely can feel when my blood sugar drops though, that is pretty scary.
  • a_candler
    Options
    I don't know my #'s but blood pressure has been "good", they've never said anything about being low when at apt. For me I get up, walk across my house (15ft or so) and then it hits me. It's not always an immediate lightheaded feeling. And I told dr that when he tested my sitting, lying and standing BP which were all fine. I just gave up pushing for answers but would love to know why all of a sudden it's happening so frequently (did have this growing up but not this bad, and not for a very long time).
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Mine has also been low - hereditary, I presume, my mother's is also. Mine is not as low as hers, but I will get dizzy during heavy squats and deadlifts if I'm not careful.

For me, lightheadedness usually kicks in around rep 4/5. It helps me to pause for a second breath between reps. If it's bad I'll do a static hold and wait for it to pass. Most times I can manage to complete my set. Once or twice, I've had to just stop.
  • roboliciousbob
    Options
    a_candler wrote: »

Curious as how original poster determined her blood pressure while working out? I often think mine gets worse after exercising but not just immediately, but for days after.

It wasn't during working out. It was a resting reading my sister did for me(she is a nurse). I have been running regularly since Jan 2 of this year. I have been noticing a lot of near fainting spells if I stand up too fast from sitting, laying down, bending over, or squaring. So I had her take my blood pressure. I knew from past times when I have been very active that I get like this and I was really curious as to what my blood pressure is at rest. I have no clue what it's like when I am in the actual process of working out.
  • roboliciousbob
    Options
    My lady doctor did mention it being low and having some concerns when I was pregnant. But mostly they have just said, wow that's really low. And that's as far as t has ever gone with a medical professional. No suggestions of anything or warnings.
  • roboliciousbob
    Options
    I don't know how I would be able to take my BP on my own and my sister lives a good 40 minutes away. Other than visiting a pharmacy, is there another way to do it at home(easily)?