Complete Gym Newbie!

Hello,

There is a promotional offer at the gym providing me with 30 days of free access, but my problem is I have literally no idea what to do as a work out.
I'm a 19 y/o female, looking to lose about 10kg. Through my research, I've read that I can't lose weight and gain muscle at the same time. Does this mean doing weight exercises aren't as useful for me if I still want to lose 10kg? Do I change my calories to put me at less of a deficit? Do I have to start eating lots of protein? Does anyone have any exercise suggestions for a complete beginner, I'm feeling a tiny bit overwhelmed

Replies

• Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    1. You can still gain valuable strength and burn some calories weight training. I believe it's valuable to combine strength training and cardio. If you're looking to drop, I'd do more cardio.
    2. If you burn a lot, you will perhaps want to eat back 30-50% of your exercise calories to keep you in the deficit you want.
    3. You don't have to eat lots of protein, but it helps with satiety in a lot of people (less cravings perhaps) and helps your muscles recover.
    4. I totally understand being a gym newbie. I'm the same age as you and I never set foot in a gym until college. When I got here, I figured "Heck, no one knows me. No one here can judge me for trying to improve my body!" I found that the machine I was most comfortable starting on was the elliptical. It's a guided movement, allows for some decent calorie burn, and has adjustable resistance and incline. You can work on seeing how many miles you can go on here and gauge your level. Once I was comfortable on elliptical, I moved to using the weight machines. It's important to read all the instructions and even google proper form and helpful tips. When in doubt, if your gym has staff available for free, they can maybe help you with the proper movement. They want you to be safe as well. Then I started to do new things like an elliptical and treadmill mix. Going to beginner classes could also be helpful if your gym provides free classes for members (spinning is a great beginner one!)

I hope this helps, good luck! Rooting for ya!
  • changemylife2017
    changemylife2017 Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you so much for your advice! It's difficult going into a completely new environment, especially when you feel like such a beginner!
    I'm definitely going to try out the elliptical machine, and I'll take your advice and ask the staff for guidance with the weight machines.
    I might start increasing my protein intake on days I work out, I'm not sure about eating calories back yet because I am concerned about the margin of error but 30% sounds achievable.
    Again thank you so much for your advice, reminds me that I'm not the only person who's just starting out (even though it sometimes feels like it!).
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Generally speaking, cardio is more effective at burning calories (and therefore losing weight) than lifting weights. However, your first priority should be to find what you enjoy doing. If it's lifting, you'll just need to consume fewer calories. Ideally, it will be a balance of the two (lifting and cardio).
  • caloriemuse
    caloriemuse Posts: 18 Member
    :( spoiler alert, if you like the idea of hitting the gym and burning out 500 cal's to then go home and enjoy a nice rewarding meal, don't go any further. Really, please skip the rest of this post. If you want to have some sense of the usefulness of exercise in a diet intended to lose weight continue.

On exercise calories and a diet : Yoni Freedhoff
    This guy seems to have a pretty good story to tell in the video. His blog is insightful as well.
    http://www.weightymatters.ca/

video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7FK8noIc5I

The one thing that I'd like to see is what the supposed science is, the biochemistry, that makes the calorie burn from exercise not as useful for 'weight loss' as you might think. From the video, it seems like the most sensible explanation is that exercise induces your body to subsequently slow down energy expenditure; example you may without exercise burn your natural 2500 calories in energy in a day. Add exercise and although you burn 500 calories at that activity the body, following exercise, slows down its energy expenditure such that at the end of the day you are still right around the 2500. If there is any, and there is a question in the data if there is, the effective calorie deficit from exercise is probably in the single digits %'s.

I will also add, in direct response to ChangeMyLife, at 19 your metabolism should respond quite well to modest changes exercise and eating habits, as we age this is less so. Additionally, 10 K's really isn't that much, so be patient, take this chance early in life to learn something about your body, your metabolism, and food. Enjoy.
  • Trendline15
    Trendline15 Posts: 48 Member
    If you can afford it, hire a personal trainer. I work with 2 different PT's doing different style workouts. The personal trainer will evaluate your current fitness, and will design workouts that appropriate to your level. You won't have to think too much or make up your own workouts. A PT can take handle this task for you. All you have to do is show up, and do the workout.

I have a pretty good idea of what to do, when it comes to cardio. But, I was a newbie when it came to strength training. I knew virtually nothing about lifting weights.

It's the best money I ever spent on myself. I wish I had invested in a personal trainer a long time ago!
  • mikepicher
    mikepicher Posts: 23 Member
    The other option is to try a Crossfit Gym (Box). There are classes and the coaches will act in the same manner as a personal trainer.

As others have commented diet is probably more import than exercise. But being physically fit is a great goal too.