Can you lose weight on a "moderate" low carb diet?

nixism
nixism Posts: 258 Member
I'd appreciate any thoughts on this please. I was following LCHF, keeping close or under 20g of carbs, but it isn't really suiting my lifestyle. I struggle to eat "fatty" foods. I was thinking of tweaking my plan to be more a moderate low carb diet, ie: 50g carb (low or keto is 20g of carb). My question is; can you lose weight on a moderate low carb diet?
For instance, I have my goals at 50g carb, 75 fat, 150g protein. Or should I amend these?
Many thanks, :)

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    I have lost 80lbs on a moderate carb diet - carbs aren't what makes you lose or gain weight, calories are. The way of eating through which you achieve a calorie deficit should reflect what's best for your preferences, lifestyle and health requirements, but it's the calories which will make you lose.
  • nixism
    Hey Anvil, yes I get that, I've been on here a while, but I am trying new approaches, as eating 1200cals and exercise wasn't working for me. Neither did upping my cals, nor anything else. For some people it ain't just "the maths" that works for them.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    You can lose weight as long as you're in a deficit. I eat high carb (Complex carbs, veggies, and fruit primarily - very rarely simple carbs to avoid the blood sugar spikes and crashes) and have successfully maintained my weight. It also helps my athletic performance. Do whatever gives you the most energy and satiety within an appropriate calorie deficit.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Look at vegans and vegetarians who manage to lose weight, they are usually very high carb.

For some, keto/low carb makes losing weight easier because of the appetite suppression and loss of most cravings, but they still need to watch their calories as it is totally possible to gain weight with this lifestyle.

If weight loss is your goal, then calories come first.Watch your macros/micros to ensure adequate nutrition.
  • 1coolmofo
    1coolmofo Posts: 65 Member
    Yes. You can lose weight on a twinky and beer diet if your deficit is there.

Problem with low carb it will zap your energy level and slow down workouts. But there are as many theory and opinions as there are people on the planet. Find what level is successful for you. I have seen people who had lots to lose be very successful on cycling a keto diet. Keto will not work for me or my lifestyle but u shoot for 150 carbs a day and have plenty of energy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    nixism wrote: »
    I'd appreciate any thoughts on this please. I was following LCHF, keeping close or under 20g of carbs, but it isn't really suiting my lifestyle. I struggle to eat "fatty" foods. I was thinking of tweaking my plan to be more a moderate low carb diet, ie: 50g carb (low or keto is 20g of carb). My question is; can you lose weight on a moderate low carb diet?
    For instance, I have my goals at 50g carb, 75 fat, 150g protein. Or should I amend these?

I think of 50 g as pretty low carb. I'm experimenting with low carb now and research seems to suggest that 50 total should result in ketosis, but that's a different issue.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes, you absolutely can lose on moderately low carb (or even average or high carb). I lost most of my weight eating between 100 and 150 g of carbs, varying mostly based on how much I was exercising, but sometimes just based on the day.

Re proposed macros, that works out to 1675, which may or may not be a good goal, depending on size and how much you work out (and whether it includes exercise calories). 150 g on its face seems unnecessarily high for protein (since I see you are female, and based on having been given the 1200 goal at one point), but won't hurt you. Might be tough to deal with.

When you say 1200 wasn't working, what specifically do you mean? 1200+exercise and no added calories is going to sap energy for many even without super low carbs and it's not something I normally would recommend. But you don't have a lot to lose and are exercising, so other things can mess up the scale apart from possible logging issues.
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    1coolmofo wrote: »
    Problem with low carb it will zap your energy level and slow down workouts
    I don't find my energy levels zapped eating keto. I run a reasonable amount (40-55 km per week) and have found that my aerobic endurance on keto is amazing. However, this has taken time and effort to achieve. For people who body-build or need intense energy bursts, they may struggle eating keto and probably need more carbs. I have been in ketosis for 10 months and eat up to 90g of carbs per day, so keto really is different for everyone!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    My carb goal is 130-150 depending on activity and I lose just fine
  • 1coolmofo
    1coolmofo Posts: 65 Member
    Problem with low carb it will zap your energy level and slow down workouts
    I don't find my energy levels zapped eating keto. I run a reasonable amount (40-55 km per week) and have found that my aerobic endurance on keto is amazing. However, this has taken time and effort to achieve. For people who body-build or need intense energy bursts, they may struggle eating keto and probably need more carbs. I have been in ketosis for 10 months and eat up to 90g of carbs per day, so keto really is different for everyone!

I should ha e qualified my statement. It will zap your energy until your body adjusts to using fat storage as energy source.
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member

I should ha e qualified my statement. It will zap your energy until your body adjusts to using fat storage as energy source.

Oh absolutely. I felt like death on a few of my early keto runs!
  • nixism
    Hey Anvil, yes I get that, I've been on here a while, but I am trying new approaches, as eating 1200cals and exercise wasn't working for me. Neither did upping my cals, nor anything else. For some people it ain't just "the maths" that works for them.

It is just the maths.

Your calculations are inaccurate if you think you are not losing on 1200 calories unless you are five feet tall or shorter and you do nothing but sit all day.

Your food diary isn't open for us to view, so no way to know where your logging is causing problems.Tighten up your food logging.

Are you exercising at all? If so, are you eating any more on those days to fuel that exercise?

Hi Riverside, I am only just back to logging on here as I have been using a low carb app lately to help me with my try out of low carb (but the App sucks, lol, so that is why I am back here on MFP! Love MFP.). So yes, my tracking on here isnt' really anything to go by, there are no entries. I would love help with setting my macros etc right for the amount of activity I do / who I am / my stats/ sedentary day job etc, but not too sure where to start?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I would just use the default macros, focus on protein and see where the others fall and if needs be play around with them a bit to find your own personal sweet spot. I personally largely just pay attention to protein and end up naturally hitting or getting close to my fat goal and probably moderate carb. But there are days I pretty much just eat carbs because bread and cake.

I'd just make sure your logging is tight as if you're not seeing results that's always the first place to look. It really is just a maths game for everyone.
  • nixism
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I think of 50 g as pretty low carb. I'm experimenting with low carb now and research seems to suggest that 50 total should result in ketosis, but that's a different issue.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes, you absolutely can lose on moderately low carb (or even average or high carb). I lost most of my weight eating between 100 and 150 g of carbs, varying mostly based on how much I was exercising, but sometimes just based on the day.

Re proposed macros, that works out to 1675, which may or may not be a good goal, depending on size and how much you work out (and whether it includes exercise calories). 150 g on its face seems unnecessarily high for protein (since I see you are female, and based on having been given the 1200 goal at one point), but won't hurt you. Might be tough to deal with.

When you say 1200 wasn't working, what specifically do you mean? 1200+exercise and no added calories is going to sap energy for many even without super low carbs and it's not something I normally would recommend. But you don't have a lot to lose and are exercising, so other things can mess up the scale apart from possible logging issues.

Hi Lemur, I think you hit the nail on the head. I wasn't eating extra on 1200 when I was exercising.
    And, 1675 seems like loads of cals to me! So I don't really know where to start with setting my goals :( Sadly.
    I am only 5ft 2 at a push, 35yrs, female, with a sedentary job. I do lead an active lifestyle outside of work, on our farm, but I think most of the farm work, etc, I am already "conditioned" too... so it's not "true" exercise if that makes sense..? It's a tough one.

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member

Hi Lemur, I think you hit the nail on the head. I wasn't eating extra on 1200 when I was exercising.
    And, 1675 seems like loads of cals to me! So I don't really know where to start with setting my goals :( Sadly.
    I am only 5ft 2 at a push, 35yrs, female, with a sedentary job. I do lead an active lifestyle outside of work, on our farm, but I think most of the farm work, etc, I am already "conditioned" too... so it's not "true" exercise if that makes sense..? It's a tough one.

Just wondering, what do you have your activity level set to in MFP? Reason I am asking is that if the bolded is part of your daily lifestyle, then you may want to have your activity level set to lightly active at the very least, since it isn't purposeful exercise.
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    I'm LCHF and have been for years. You can lose weight eating moderate carb, as long as you're in calorie deficit. 150 grams carbs is still considered low carb. I personally eat between 50-100 grams net carbs, but I still have to adjust my calories from fat and protein to lose weight.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

I think I'd use MFP to set calories and say active, but then not eat back calories unless you do extra exercise. Try it and see what number it gives you. (I am 5'3 and was 44 when I lost my weight in 2014, and mostly lost on around 1600-1650 (which I set to include the exercise so was not eating back) -- I'm not as active as you daily, but I was running a lot, so it probably evens out. That you are accustomed to the farm work doesn't mean it doesn't count!)