For the females doing Stronglifts

Options
2»

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Are you still new to lifting? If not, a linear approach definitely becomes more taxing and harder, with less results, than a DUP style with more frequency and varied reps/sets throughout the week. I can't do 5x5 on anything anymore, at least not with a progressive overload.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Are you still new to lifting? If not, a linear approach definitely becomes more taxing and harder, with less results, than a DUP style with more frequency and varied reps/sets throughout the week. I can't do 5x5 on anything anymore, at least not with a progressive overload.

I've been doing SL for 5 weeks now. So still "new" I guess. At some point it makes sense that I wouldn't be able to keep up with the same progressive pace.
  • bbell1985
    edited May 2017
    Options

I've been doing SL for 5 weeks now. So still "new" I guess. At some point it makes sense that I wouldn't be able to keep up with the same progressive pace.

Right. But 100 5x5 is very good. I'm an intermediate lifter and that is hard for me, but I'm also not a great bencher ( I also bench with a pretty long pause because I like to compete in powerlifting). I'd be thrilled if I could come close to that 5 weeks in.

Are you progressing with everything else? Nothing wrong with changing your bench to 3x5
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Does anyone have any pointers for getting better at bench press? I feel like I am doing decent with the 5x5 regimen of all of the other lifts (except the 1x5 of deadlift, obviously) but I am majorly struggling with the bench press. Today I was supposed to do 100 lbs and I could do 5,3,4,3,3 and on the 4th attempt for the last set...well I'm glad I had the fail rail.

I would first look if you are rested enough in between sets . If you hit 5 on first set, you can hit all 5 for all sets if you rest enough in between.

^^that is interesting to me. I've never heard/read that before. How much time between? Like 5 minutes?

This holds true even more if you are a female. Females can recover extremely well because they don't incorporate the same percentage of muscle motors as males.

I would advice getting micro plates and utilize them to continue strength fains.

Working on correct form will also extend your time before a deload is needed.
    I'll quote from one of the bibles of weightlifting Practical Progamming for Strength Training by Mark Rippetoe. He says 30 seconds to 2 minutes is recommended between sets depending on the goals of the program. If strength gains are the goal then longer rest periods than 1 minute are necessary. He says partial recovery (50% of ATP - that's your muscle energy) in 3 to 5 seconds, complete recovery doesn't occur for 3 -5 minutes.

I've read somewhere that 85% recovery of ATP occurs within the first 2 minutes, but I can't find it. In general, shorter rest periods for endurance training (as short as you want) and longer rest periods for strength training. It just isn't practical to rest 3-5 minutes if you want to do a good workout and get out of the gym.

Rest between 30 seconds to 1:30 seems to work well for me. When I'm moving large muscles with heavy weights like squats, longer rest seems to feel right, smaller muscles like bench press then shorter rest seems to feel right.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any pointers for getting better at bench press? I feel like I am doing decent with the 5x5 regimen of all of the other lifts (except the 1x5 of deadlift, obviously) but I am majorly struggling with the bench press. Today I was supposed to do 100 lbs and I could do 5,3,4,3,3 and on the 4th attempt for the last set...well I'm glad I had the fail rail.

I would first look if you are rested enough in between sets . If you hit 5 on first set, you can hit all 5 for all sets if you rest enough in between.

^^that is interesting to me. I've never heard/read that before. How much time between? Like 5 minutes?

This holds true even more if you are a female. Females can recover extremely well because they don't incorporate the same percentage of muscle motors as males.

I would advice getting micro plates and utilize them to continue strength fains.

I'll quote from one of the bibles of weightlifting Practical Progamming for Strength Training by Mark Rippetoe. He says 30 seconds to 2 minutes is recommended between sets depending on the goals of the program. If strength gains are the goal then longer rest periods than 1 minute are necessary. He says partial recovery (50% of ATP - that's your muscle energy) in 3 to 5 seconds, complete recovery doesn't occur for 3 -5 minutes.

I've read somewhere that 85% recovery of ATP occurs within the first 2 minutes, but I can't find it. In general, shorter rest periods for endurance training (as short as you want) and longer rest periods for strength training. It just isn't practical to rest 3-5 minutes if you want to do a good workout and get out of the gym.

Rest between 30 seconds to 1:30 seems to work well for me. When I'm moving large muscles with heavy weights like squats, longer rest seems to feel right, smaller muscles like bench press then shorter rest seems to feel right.

This is not true as you progress. I easily need 5 minutes to rest, especially doing 5x5. I have good workouts, trust me. Ain't no way I'm resting for 30 seconds to 1:30 on a strength program. Hypertrophy block, maybe.

What "feels alright" is going to change. You've been lifting for only 5 weeks.
  • Rusty740
    Options

This is not true as you progress. I easily need 5 minutes to rest, especially doing 5x5. I have good workouts, trust me. Ain't no way I'm resting for 30 seconds to 1:30 on a strength program. Hypertrophy block, maybe.

It's still true that the rest period depends on your goals. 5 x 5 is primarily for strength gains so yes, longer rest periods will be necessary because the weight is heavy, but if you are training for endurance or hypertrophy then less, or maybe your weight is less than the 5RM or so.
  • bbell1985
    Options

It's still true that the rest period depends on your goals. 5 x 5 is primarily for strength gains so yes, longer rest periods will be necessary because the weight is heavy, but if you are training for endurance or hypertrophy then less, or maybe your weight is less than the 5RM or so.

If you're training for hypertrophy you're not doing 5x5. Sorry maybe we are just having a misunderstanding and I'm reading you wrong.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Big back = big bench

lat pull downs never hurt either.

That makes sense.

I think the weakness is the initial lift off my chest. I don't feel I have the arm/shoulder strength .

This is why I wondered where you felt it. It's possible you're working the motion too much as a shoulder exercise and not as a chest exercise, which is very common. I ended up deloading because of that early on, to work on form. That's one thing I love about the Stronglifts web site is the detailed breakdown of the form of each exercise.

I would deload and work on form.
  • Rusty740
    Options

If you're training for hypertrophy you're not doing 5x5. Sorry maybe we are just having a misunderstanding and I'm reading you wrong.

There was a poster wondering how much rest they should be using, just trying to point them in the right range and that it varies by intensity and goals.
  • bbell1985
    Options

There was a poster wondering how much rest they should be using, just trying to point them in the right range and that it varies by intensity and goals.

Oh I missed it
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Recently I've heard Rippetoe and many of his starting strength coaches say the following...

Mark Rippetoe said:
    06-03-2011 06:56 PM

"Optimal rest periods are the time necessary for you to successfully complete the next set, or effectively begin the next exercise. However long that is, that's the time."

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/mark-rippetoe-q-and-a/24266-rest-exercises-sets-course-search-function.html
  • Rusty740
    Options

Recently I've heard Rippetoe and many of his starting strength coaches say the following...

Mark Rippetoe said:

"Optimal rest periods are the time necessary for you to successfully complete the next set, or effectively begin the next exercise. However long that is, that's the time."

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/mark-rippetoe-q-and-a/24266-rest-exercises-sets-course-search-function.html

The poster in that case asked a very detailed question about his specific training program and didn't do the research necessary to figure out the real answer to his question. Rippetoe gave him a response with the appropriate level of investment of his time and mentioned further down that same thread that they just wanted to be spoon fed answers to questions that had been already asked an answered 38 times already. 30 seconds to less than 3 minutes rest between sets based on intensity seems reasonable to me depending on the exercise and it's intensity. We're still talking about anaerobic exercise here for those that haven't read the above stuff.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Mark Rippetoe said:

The poster in that case asked a very detailed question about his specific training program and didn't do the research necessary to figure out the real answer to his question. Rippetoe gave him a response with the appropriate level of investment of his time and mentioned further down that same thread that they just wanted to be spoon fed answers to questions that had been already asked an answered 38 times already. 30 seconds to less than 3 minutes rest between sets based on intensity seems reasonable to me depending on the exercise and it's intensity. We're still talking about anaerobic exercise here for those that haven't read the above stuff.

I'm speaking of the answer is the same in relation to what we are talking about. I just grabbed a quote out of many.

In the past two month I've heard Dr. Buraki, Dr.Jordan F. among other starting strength coaches in live feeds as well as read Rippetoe all reply in the last two months take as much rest as needed to complete a set with proper form accordingly.