Birth Control Pills over the age of 40?

Replies

• leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    I'm 41 and still on the pill. My doc recently told me I should think about another form of birth control, but interestingly enough, it wasn't because of any health risk. She said that the pill will continue to cause monthly bleeding in women even if they start to go through menopause. She said I would have to start cycling off (in the next several years) to check to see if I still got regular periods.

I have no idea when my mother would have gone through menopause (which would be a great indicator for my time) because chemotherapy and radiation pushed into premature menopause in her early 40s.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    I'm 45 and still on the pill, but I'm kind of done with them. I am going to talk to my doc about it at my next appt. I need to know pros and cons. I'm leaning toward my husband getting snipped, which he's fine with. We just haven't made a decision.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    edited May 2017
    I'm 45 and still on the pill, but I'm kind of done with them. I am going to talk to my doc about it at my next appt. I need to know pros and cons. I'm leaning toward my husband getting snipped, which he's fine with. We just haven't made a decision.

My husband refuses! So, after our second child I decided to call his bluff and and insist on condoms instead of having me continue to take care of the birth control. He lasted three years and I'm the one who finally gave in! :neutral:

Edit to change my emoji - the winky face just didn't go.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    I got my tubes tied at age 26.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    I stayed on the bc pill after (micronor) which is a pill designed for the over 30's until I was 55 My GP told me I didn't need to be on it anymore when I was 50 as I was well into the menopause but I was paranoid about getting pregnant. She did however agree that it helped keep my oestrogen level so the symptoms of the menopause were not as severe as they could have been.

I never had any problems with any of my birth control medication and did not feel any different when I stopped taking it.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    TrinityR05 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. I wouldn't necessarily be taking them to prevent pregnancy. It would be mainly to ease my symptoms of monthly cramps as I cannot take any anti-inflammatory meds.

For those of you 40 years of age and older, what brand birth control pill are you on?

I had been on a bunch of different generic versions of Loestrin since my 20s. When my doctor wanted me off at 40, she said if I really wanted to stay on, there was a low dose version called Lo-loestrin that would be lower risk due to the lower dose. But this was before Obamacare and there was no generic so it would have cost me like $90 a month which I just couldn't do.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,717 Member
    edited May 2017
    @manderson27 did you still have periods while on Micronor and before menopause? Mine lightened and then stopped outright when I was in my late forties. Micronor can stop periods. I'm 51 and barely had menopausal symptoms, but my gyn took me off it back in January because I hadn't had a period in a year - and then had a period 2 months later, but she called it breakthrough bleeding.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    This thread is making me reconsider taking birth control. I was just so shocked by my symptoms when I came off it in my late 20s (health insurance ran out), I've been nervous to try again. I was in so much pain when I ovulated, and it's been painful ever since.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    This thread is making me reconsider taking birth control. I was just so shocked by my symptoms when I came off it in my late 20s (health insurance ran out), I've been nervous to try again. I was in so much pain when I ovulated, and it's been painful ever since.

I never had pms/ovulation symptoms while i was on the pill. But i'm off the pill now, and still don't get any warning signs when my periods are coming. So whether I'm just lucky, or all of those years on the pill changed something, who knows??

I just feel like i'm the odd (lucky) one out, when i continuously read about women having cravings, being in pain, lethargic etc etc. I have never experienced any of those things. I might get a bit peckish a day or two before they arrive, but i think that's more of a mental thing.. Because i only noticed this happening after i came on here and read about other women experiencing the munchies.
  • bbell1985

I never had pms/ovulation symptoms while i was on the pill. But i'm off the pill now, and still don't get any warning signs when my periods are coming. So whether I'm just lucky, or all of those years on the pill changed something, who knows??

I just feel like i'm the odd (lucky) one out, when i continuously read about women having cravings, being in pain, lethargic etc etc. I have never experienced any of those things. I might get a bit peckish a day or two before they arrive, but i think that's more of a mental thing.. Because i only noticed this happening after i came on here and read about other women experiencing the munchies.

My mom is like that. She never understood what I was going through though she did pull me out of school once in early high school because my cramps got so bad I could barely walk. I am also very aware of my body. I feel myself ovulate. There are also physical signs that seem like should be obvious for all women.

This month my cramps were so bad I was awake from 3 am to the time I left for work. Screaming in agony while lying at the bottom of the shower. At one point I was lying on my hardwood living room floor just yelling "why?? why?? why??"

So yeah, you're lucky.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

My mom is like that. She never understood what I was going through though she did pull me out of school once in early high school because my cramps got so bad I could barely walk. I am also very aware of my body. I feel myself ovulate. There are also physical signs that seem like should be obvious for all women.

This month my cramps were so bad I was awake from 3 am to the time I left for work. Screaming in agony while lying at the bottom of the shower. At one point I was lying on my hardwood living room floor just yelling "why?? why?? why??"

So yeah, you're lucky.

You poor thing, I'm so sorry! I had really awful cramps in my 20s and my cycle was completely unpredictable. Which is why I went on the pill. When I came off it I was scared that all that would come back but it hasnt. Actually my PMS now is that my digestive system gets wonky for a couple of days.

Anyway, I hope it eases off for you at some point. I used to take double doses of Advil to take the edge off of it for a day and a half, I'm sure you've tried everything I did at the time and then some. :anguished:
  • bbell1985
    kimny72 wrote: »

So yeah, you're lucky.

You poor thing, I'm so sorry! I had really awful cramps in my 20s and my cycle was completely unpredictable. Which is why I went on the pill. When I came off it I was scared that all that would come back but it hasnt. Actually my PMS now is that my digestive system gets wonky for a couple of days.

Anyway, I hope it eases off for you at some point. I used to take double doses of Advil to take the edge off of it for a day and a half, I'm sure you've tried everything I did at the time and then some. :anguished:

It's okay. It's all weird now because I lost my period for a few months and now it's averaging out again. It was worse when I was overweight but now I don't know what's going on. They haven't been this bad since I was fat/younger. I also experience WILD mood swings. This month I threw my hair dryer at my wall, called a woman on the subway a *kitten* *kitten*, and threw money down at a bodega man after cutting a woman in line. Like...not even acceptable behavior.

lol at a double dose of advil. I took 2 prescription strength motrins (which you're not supposed to take), and I was still in agony.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    I had really bad cramps before I started birth control and before I had kids. since then I get cramps but they arent bad enough to need to take anything for them and exercise helps too.@bbell1985,if you are having those issues you may want to have your dr check your hormone levels. could be PMDD or something like that causing those hormonal issues.also if you are doing a lot of exercise,or have low percentage of body fat that can interrupt periods too. many things can cause that. its best to see a dr to rule things out.
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    edited May 2017

I was 46 and was looking for some relief from menopause issues. Not a single risk factor other than my age. 6 months later I had a DVT - blood clot- in my leg. Blood clots are a potential side effect but I never thought it could happen to me and didn't really understand what it could mean. Not to be overly dramatic, but I could have died and that clot has never resolved. My life is very different now.

So, OP, I don't want to scare you and everyone has a different experience. I just want to recommend that you consider all the risks. This is definitely between you and your doctor. Best wishes.

• bbell1985
    I had really bad cramps before I started birth control and before I had kids. since then I get cramps but they arent bad enough to need to take anything for them and exercise helps too.@bbell1985,if you are having those issues you may want to have your dr check your hormone levels. could be PMDD or something like that causing those hormonal issues.also if you are doing a lot of exercise,or have low percentage of body fat that can interrupt periods too. many things can cause that. its best to see a dr to rule things out.

Yeah! I have had ultrasounds and everything looks "fine". They can see that I get a little cysty but nothing to worry about. I'm really interested in having my hormonal levels checked but I don't know what to "ask for" if you know what i mean. My body fat is pretty high right now. Like 27% so I think I'm good there.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

Yeah! I have had ultrasounds and everything looks "fine". They can see that I get a little cysty but nothing to worry about. I'm really interested in having my hormonal levels checked but I don't know what to "ask for" if you know what i mean. My body fat is pretty high right now. Like 27% so I think I'm good there.

ask them to run a blood panel to check all hormone levels. tell them your issues you are having. you might want to see a gynocologist(if you dont already). but any family dr can run a test to see where hormone levels are. my family dr has run these tests a few times on me and with my BC pills all my hormone levels are normal. I have the cyst issues too and sometimes they can bring me to my knees. its gotten better though thankfully.

how do you gauge your body fat levels? because you dont look like you are 27% fat in most of your pics you look a LOT lower than that to be honest.
  • bbell1985

ask them to run a blood panel to check all hormone levels. tell them your issues you are having. you might want to see a gynocologist(if you dont already). but any family dr can run a test to see where hormone levels are. my family dr has run these tests a few times on me and with my BC pills all my hormone levels are normal. I have the cyst issues too and sometimes they can bring me to my knees. its gotten better though thankfully.

how do you gauge your body fat levels? because you dont look like you are 27% fat in most of your pics you look a LOT lower than that to be honest.

Okay thanks. I go to a nurse practitioner but should probably find a legit ob/gyn. She already knows my issues but thinks it's nothing.

I pick the most flattering pictures during my leanest time of month, and flex. lol. Straight up, not posed, I'm pretty fluffy. Maybe more like 25%
  • bbell1985
    Sorry if I derailed this. I already have my own old thread going for all my issues lol. Back to birth control after 40.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

Okay thanks. I go to a nurse practitioner but should probably find a legit ob/gyn. She already knows my issues but thinks it's nothing.

I pick the most flattering pictures during my leanest time of month, and flex. lol. Straight up, not posed, I'm pretty fluffy. Maybe more like 25%

yeah if your NP thinks its nothing I would see an ob/gyn.then if your hormone levels are fine then it has to be something else making you feel like that.
  • bbell1985

yeah if your NP thinks its nothing I would see an ob/gyn.then if your hormone levels are fine then it has to be something else making you feel like that.

Yeah I think this is what it comes down to. Going to look for a doc/appointment now.