Fitness over 30

Replies

• billy_mireles
    billy_mireles Posts: 14 Member
    Definitely need to get up super early to get my cardio in and prep meals before kids wake up in the morning. If you really want to make a change in your body than some sacrifice needs to be made. Thank goodness for coffee for that fasted cardio in the AM
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    I figured while i squandered my 20's raising young kids and not taking care of myself I owe it to my 30's to do better. I find it easier now than in my 20's tbh
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    I'm actually happier about my achievements so far in my 30s (just entered the department not too long ago :D ) compared to any single year in my 20s. I don't feel lower metabolism nor lower motivation, and the results are actually greater/better. Maybe because I finally learned the right way to do things?!
    The only difference I noticed is I can't really go to bed late and expect an OK morning the next day... even with same amount of sleep. But I'm a morning person by nature and don't usually do late-night activities anyway~
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    It honestly never crossed my mind that it would be different after 30 and it honestly doesn't feel any different now that I am 30 other than that I've learned more about how to go about it without driving myself nuts.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Sell your children for medical research - you get more free time and the money can be spent on fitness equipment.
    :)

Every decade has different challenges and priorities, you adapt and overcome if you want it badly enough.
    A lot of my colleagues "don't have the time" but seem to watch an awful lot of TV....

In my 30's with young children my time got squeezed so I exercised mostly in my lunch breaks or fitted in some high intensity / short duration work when I could. Gave up my Sundays to support my son's rugby playing but instead of standing on the sidelines with a bacon roll and a coffee I became a coach and ran around with the kids.

My 50's have been my best decade for fitness in many ways, children are grown up and I get much more me time but you still need the drive to use the time rather than waste the time. I'm often the last one in the gym at closing time but I still get the "you're lucky" or "it's easy for you" comments.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member
    Jpefitness wrote: »
    So it's no secret it gets harder once you hit the big 3-0, priorities change. How do you fit in the gym vs work vs life vs prep. Share your tips right here!

I was in the best shape of my life in my mid-30s. That was when I was cycling 1200 km randonnees plus a whole lot of other cycling. :)

Now in my 50s, I'm building my distances back up again. :)
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    life will always try to get in the way regardless of age n thats why ive been working out on n off

seriously "life get in the way" only when we let it. nowadays, theres utube, google, MFP, free online workout n nutrition plans, theres only one excuse if we dont workout - by choice or LAZINESS.

follow a utube 10 min HIIT takes, ehhhhh 10 MINUTES at home!
  • Jpefitness
    Jpefitness Posts: 9 Member
    I need more sleep to fuel my training which means sacrificing evening time more!
  • DanSanthomes
    DanSanthomes Posts: 134 Member
    Knees are the only difference when you're older!

(Speaking as a 47 who just got a 'hell no' from my left knee whilst doing weighted lunges...) :-)

I workout after day job. My 9 year old is currently doing a 60 day Darebee workout which I do with him on my 'rest days'. (My 12 year old can't wait to start his at the end of June).

Don't let anything stop you - prioritise and trim the fat from your life :-)
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    I actually find it easier to prioritize in my 30s. My 20s were a mess.

I just wake up early enough to get it in before work and the rest of the day starts. That eliminates any excuses.
  • silversnake84
    silversnake84 Posts: 17 Member
    I find it harder on my body but easier to plan because I actively set out time for it because I know what I'm doing now and I know how great it makes me feel. It's something I look forward too at the end of my workday!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    What happens when you turn 30?
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    We set our own priorities. If it's important enough, you have to make it a priority and let other stuff drop first (and plenty of other stuff WILL have to drop..let them).
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    What happens when you turn 30?

I dunno, I forgot - that was almost 25 years ago! :D
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I don't have a real boyfriend or family. The job I started this year was wildly stressful though. Up at 4:45 am and most days I spent crying, even in the gym. But, as others have said, it's more than a choice for me-it's my lifestyle. I don't miss workouts.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    edited June 2017
    Just echoing everybody around here, is just a matter of priorities and motivation. You can have lot of free time in your hands and do nothing with it, or you can have few free time in your hands and use your hours wisely. I invite you to read The Holstee Manifesto, truly inspiring.

https://www.brainpickings.org/2010/11/02/picked-the-holstee-manifesto/
  • Markbooth8772
    Markbooth8772 Posts: 7 Member
    I try to hit the gym on my lunch hour three times a week. And jog with the dog on an evening or weekend . Burpees on a morning or before bed....this way I don't get the guilt feeling off my little ones trying to gym it on a night. I go boxing twice during the week and take one of my kids which is great