Foods with foods

Options
I've been told to eat apples with nuts from a Ipswich town FC nutritionist
Reason was the Apple fools our bodies and does something to it (can't remember what thro haha)

Is there certain foods your meant to eat together

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Apples give me gas. Uhhhhhhhhh.

Generally foods traditionally eaten together were put together because they made a complete protein without requiring meat. 9 amino acids (of 20, the building blocks of protein) must be eaten, and you don't get most of the benefits of protein unless you get all 9 amino acids that need to be eaten. Animal proteins are complete proteins, but most non-animal protein foods need to be paired with other foods in order to make up all the amino acids needed for a complete protein. Generally, these are legumes and grains, such as beans and rice.

Dunno if apples and nuts are one of those, but that's what it made me think of.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Are you talking food combining. I remember it from a while ago ........... have just found a series of items about this in a search, one is by the Acid Alkaline Association they say it reduces indigestion and acidosis. There are charts and information available.

In principal don't eat carbs with acid foods or concentrated proteins with concentrated carbs, only one concentrated protein at a meal, no protein with fats, or acid foods with protein and not to have sugar with carbs. The list is longer these are some of the headings, the page gives a detailed explanation of the whys and wherefores of the matter relating to the carious acids foods contain.

Many sports people are supposed to live by this, I know of one diabetic who improved his condition this way back in the 1980's. For me it is each to his/her own.

Hope this is of some help.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Are you talking food combining. I remember it from a while ago ........... have just found a series of items about this in a search, one is by the Acid Alkaline Association they say it reduces indigestion and acidosis. There are charts and information available.

In principal don't eat carbs with acid foods or concentrated proteins with concentrated carbs, only one concentrated protein at a meal, no protein with fats, or acid foods with protein and not to have sugar with carbs. The list is longer these are some of the headings, the page gives a detailed explanation of the whys and wherefores of the matter relating to the carious acids foods contain.

Many sports people are supposed to live by this, I know of one diabetic who improved his condition this way back in the 1980's. For me it is each to his/her own.

I'm giving a side eye to advice from somewhere called the Acid Alkaline Association if their name indicates a belief that our bodies can be either of those and that we need to "fix" it with food. It's nonsense.

And carbs are broken down to sugars so that advice also makes no sense.

Seems arbitrary and over complicated.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options

This is utter nonsense.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and syrup

Salmon and asparagus

Coffee, hazelnut, and chocolate

Shrimp and grits

Sausage and grits

Chicken or pork and sweet potatoes

Chocolate and peanut butter

Halo Top and a spoon

Garlic and butter
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    So it may be but some believe in it. I was trying to provide information. so please don't shoot the messenger. thank you. as I said each to their own.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    So it may be but some believe in it. I was trying to provide information. so please don't shoot the messenger. thank you. as I said each to their own.

Believing in it doesn't make it real or true. Much like kids and the tooth fairy.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »
    Peanut butter and syrup

Salmon and asparagus

Coffee, hazelnut, and chocolate

Shrimp and grits

Sausage and grits

Chicken or pork and sweet potatoes

Chocolate and peanut butter

Halo Top and a spoon

Garlic and butter

peanut butter and jelly
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    In general, I assume any advice geared toward "fooling your body" is bunk.

Regardless, eating shouldn't be rocket science. We wouldn't have survived and thrived as completely as we have as a species if it was so complicated to fuel our bodies. Just eat a well balanced and calorie appropriate diet :drinker:
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and a spoon....

Yes!!

OP, just eat foods that taste good to you together. Nothing magical happens to an apple when you eat it with an almond vs without. I like to include a good source of fat with my carby snacks simply because fat is satiating to me, but everyone is different.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Reason was the Apple fools our bodies and does something to it (can't remember what thro haha)

Our bodies aren't "fooled" by any food. If you put all the voodoo nonsense aside, it's simple physiology. The body digests/metabolizes whatever nutrients are present in the food and excretes the waste. Any and all foods are nothing more than some combination of proteins, fats and carbohydrates, and the body knows how to handle each one of those macronutrients. Taking them in in some different or particular combination doesn't "fool the body" into thinking they're something that they're not.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

I'm very surprised that Ipswich would use nutritionists instead of dietitians.

Although I know Mick McCarthy has bought in to woo at times. Maybe he has brought them in.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

This is utter nonsense.

Why do people have to be so rude?!
    I remember the food combination thing; it was a biggie a few years ago but think it's been disproved. Nevertheless,I have a friend who lives and swears by it. To each their own.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

Spoon is a food? Perhaps if it was made with chocolate...
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options

Spoon is a food? Perhaps if it was made with chocolate...

In the UK you can buy chocolate spoons for stirring coffee!