Gain weight without the fat

Hello, so I'm trying to gain weight/muscle but I don't want the fat to come with it lol. Using the macros it says I'm supposed to do 50%carbs, 30%fat, and 20%. I'm not a scientist or expert but to me it looks like that would be incorrect? can anyone suggestions or give advice on this?
Thanks

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    You can't really, unless you do it reeeeeeeeaaaaaaally slowly.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    You'll probably gain some fat. Eat at least 30% protein, lift with a progressive overload, increase calories slowly.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Ya wouldn't it be great to not gain any fat when bulking, but the reality is fat comes with the territory. Even if you do it slow and keep the surplus small, while fat gain can be minimized, that also means less muscle gain too.
    You really have to accept the fat gains or most likely you will spin your wheels and bail on your bulk when the good gains start to happen.. this will limit your progress and will make for a less successful bulk.

So best thing to do to minimize fat gain is to keep the surplus small to moderate and follow an adequate training program. Also starting off lower BF% helps too (unless you are underweight.. then I would just go ahead and bulk).

For macro % I don't know your cal intake but I usually go by grams per lean body mass...what is typically see recommended is:

Protein: 0.8 to 1g
    Fats: 0.35 to 0.6g
    Carbs: The rest

• sardelsa
    Luna3386 wrote: »
    You'll probably gain some fat. Eat at least 30% protein, lift with a progressive overload, increase calories slowly.

Just a note here...I would caution against a random % without knowing any of the OP's cal intake or stats. For example, if I followed 30% protein of my bulking intake that would be 263g protein per day. That would be way overkill.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Luna3386 wrote: »

Just a note here...I would caution against a random % without knowing any of the OP's cal intake or stats. For example, if I followed 30% protein of my bulking intake that would be 263g protein per day. That would be way overkill.

Yet 263g would be nearly perfect for me :P.

Agreed never base you macros strictly by percentages or assume others are the same as yours.

• barbesjames
    barbesjames Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you all for your help. So it seems gaining fat is inevitable when bulking, which is fine since you say I can moderate it? According to the app My calorie intake should be 2610. Does that help in whether my fat intake should be more than protein? I'm not skinny but somewhat slim lol. If that makes sense. Again, thanks for all your help
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    What's your priority OP?
    Staying as lean as possible while bulking or gaining as much muscle as possible as fast as possible?
    Tweak your calorie surplus to suit your individual priorities.

BTW - no-one knows anything about you apart from you being male. Your age and lifting history will affect the rate at which you can gain muscle which in turn affects how much of a surplus might be optimal.
    The other big variable is your training of course, a calorie surplus with an awful training regime isn't going to get great results.

PS
    30% protein would have given me a protein goal of 419g yesterday - yum! :)
    (Protein and fat as minimum goals is far better than fixed percentages IMHO)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    An excellent, thorough read on the topic here: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html/

(Pay particular attention to the part under the heading "Lean Gaining")
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited May 2017
    Some decent feedback above. Not too high calorie surplus (250 ish above TDEE), effective lifting program are both must haves.

I wouldn't focus too much on the macro distribution being too far extreme. To put on muscle you do not need massive amounts of protein, just the normal amount for your body, carbs play a bigger role in muscle gainzzzzzzzz (I had to do that :) ). 50% Carbs/25% Fats/25% Protein ??? Give or take?
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Higher protein, keep carbs centered around workouts only.
  • sardelsa
    tattygun wrote: »

Why carbs only around workouts? Unless the OP has health restrictions (diabetic) or is keto bulking.. carbs and bulking are best together.. like strawberries and whip cream.. hehe
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member

Why carbs only around workouts? Unless the OP has health restrictions (diabetic) or is keto bulking.. carbs and bulking are best together.. like strawberries and whip cream.. hehe

True True

• Lucas2013
    Lucas2013 Posts: 15 Member
    Unfortunately, there is a load of bull in the fitness industry as to how fast you can realistically add muscle. You see magazines that make outrageous claims like "build 10 pounds of muscle a month." Know that this is absolute nonsense. The rate at which you can build muscle depends on your genetics, your current activity level, and how much protein you consume. Lyle Mcdonald's calculator estimates that at most, you can build 2 pounds of solid muscle a month with limited fat gain, it will be even less than that if you have been training for sometime, which is why finding a sustainable program is absolutely key. The same thing that you do to get results is what you will have to do to maintain them for the rest of your life. The only way to build muscle faster is by taking steroids, but those come with their own risks.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member

I want to grow whilst keeping fat gain to an absolute minimum. By eating my carbs only around workouts I increase insulin sensitivity (google fat gain and insulin) and my body better deals with those carbs when I consume them. I have no need for carbs at any other time than around my workout but when I do want those carbs I want enough to both fuel the workout and then repair and I want my body to utilize them in the most efficient manner possible (increase insulin sensitivity). As I haven't eaten carbs throughout the rest of the day this allows me to have a large amount right when I need it plus be somewhat more flexible with my choices which is great mentally. I could go on further but if you wish to educate yourself further on the subject look to the writings of Jordan Peters and John Meadows. To reiterate I'm not saying you eat LESS carbs you just adjust WHEN you use them.

There are many ways to skin a cat but I've waked the walk with both methods and I know which I choose.
  • sardelsa

I want to grow whilst keeping fat gain to an absolute minimum. By eating my carbs only around workouts I increase insulin sensitivity (google fat gain and insulin) and my body better deals with those carbs when I consume them. I have no need for carbs at any other time than around my workout but when I do want those carbs I want enough to both fuel the workout and then repair and I want my body to utilize them in the most efficient manner possible (increase insulin sensitivity). As I haven't eaten carbs throughout the rest of the day this allows me to have a large amount right when I need it plus be somewhat more flexible with my choices which is great mentally. I could go on further but if you wish to educate yourself further on the subject look to the writings of Jordan Peters and John Meadows. To reiterate I'm not saying you eat LESS carbs you just adjust WHEN you use them.

There are many ways to skin a cat but I've waked the walk with both methods and I know which I choose.

Hey if that works for you, great.

I am all about keeping things simple and easy and not adding complications to basic processes. I know if I had to eat 400g+ carbs around my workout window, I would surely fail.. which means I would not be eating in a surplus, which means no results. I don't even know if my body could handle that many carbs all at once and honestly I would probably feel completely awful. I still remained very lean eating carbs around the clock.. so I say whatever works best for the individual.

What causes the most fat gain is too high surplus and poor programming. The rest is just majoring in the minors.