Should you eat less on rest days

Looking to gain a few pounds but keep try not to increase bfp too much. I do weight training and am on my feet at my job for around 7 hours four days a week. MYP said I should eat 2300 calories a day to gain weight. Should I eat less on rest days though where I am not as active?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited May 2017
    Up to you.

Some people find it easiest to eat relatively the same amount of calories every day on average.

Some people prefer to adjust quite often.

Personally I think it's easier to run a daily average when I'm cutting or bulking and adjust my caloric intake if needed to my weight change over a average of 2-3 weeks.

There is no wrong if you get the weight change you desire.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Pretty much a personal preference, the biggest thing is meeting your calorie goals on average. Some people prefer eating the same thing everyday. If your ravenous on workout days and you know your going to want the extra calories on those days, eat less on rest and recovery days. I personally eat more the days I lift, but I do focus on consistency in protein consumption. The days I eat less, I usually eat less carbs.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    There is no need to however I find it easier to cut calories and carbs when I don't have an intense workout planned.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    You are really describing how MFP works but a little back to front - this site intends for you eat more on days you exercise.
    The calorie goal given to you is 2300 + exercise calories.

If you only do weight training (low calorie burn) and no cardio (high calorie burn) then you may find it easier to go to a TDEE calculator and use their recommendation for a same every day allowance.

BTW - your job should be included in the activity setting you selected.
  • Ktjc2016
    Ktjc2016 Posts: 37 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    You are really describing how MFP works but a little back to front - this site intends for you eat more on days you exercise.

If you only do weight training (low calorie burn) and no cardio (high calorie burn) then you may find it easier to go to a TDEE calculator and use their recommendation for a same every day allowance.

This is what I'm struggling with am I lightly active or active... I go to to the gym 4 days a week for an hour weights 2 days legs two days upper body... I also have a job 3-4 days a week that requires me to do between 7000-13000 steps a day with no chance to sit down.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    I have heard that you should not. Why not see how hungry you are?
  • gym4life64
    gym4life64 Posts: 824 Member
    That depends on your goals
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Ktjc2016 wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »

This is what I'm struggling with am I lightly active or active... I go to to the gym 4 days a week for an hour weights 2 days legs two days upper body... I also have a job 3-4 days a week that requires me to do between 7000-13000 steps a day with no chance to sit down.

Remember the activity setting is absolutely nothing to do with your exercise routine.
    They are completely separate. That's why you log your exercise and get more calories added.

Don't try and over think it, it's just a way to get a reasonable starting point - 3 or 4 days doing a fair amount of steps. Choose lightly active or active and re-evaluate after a month based on your actual results and make adjustments.
  • gurinderGill1311
    gurinderGill1311 Posts: 5 Member
    If your goal is to gain weight and given the schedule that you follow at work and gym I would suggest you to not to reduce your calories intake on rest days.
    There are two reasons,
    First, weight gain happens when our body is in calories surplus, it might happen that during the workdays you are not able to consume as much calories as required or you had more hectic day where you burned more calories. This will reduce your calories surplus and effect your gains.

Secondly as you mentioned 2300 calories /day goal given to you by MYP, it is calculated on 7 days average.
    Which means your weekly calories consumption should be 2300*7

Hope this helps and answers your question.

Regards,
    Gurinder Singh Gill
    Intern at Get Set Go Fitness.