too many 1bs to gain for goal timeframe???

Hey guys I need tips and advise. I've been told by a few that having a goal of 30 lbs is too much in 3 months. August 15 to be exact. Based off the app calculator I'm
advised to eat 2,330 calories a day. a month ago I statred doing a light workout each morning and sometimes another in the day. Basically working on my legs and butt.

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2017
    A woman can expect to gain about 1/2 pound of muscle every two weeks (given optimal nutrition and training). That means in a 12-week span, you could potentially gain about 3 pounds of muscle. The other 27 pounds will be fat.

If 27 pounds of fat and 3 pounds of muscle fits your goals, go for it. With the additional proviso that you have no control over where the fat is deposited on your body. You can't make it all go to your legs and booty, it will go on however your genetics dictate (which, for a lot of people means a decent amount of it will be going straight to your gut/midsection).
  • GuidedByTheLight
    GuidedByTheLight Posts: 29 Member
    ahhhhh thank you for the eye opening information. I will take a different route now. I honestly dont hve a 3 clues on what I'm doing, maybe 2 but not 3 lol
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    A woman can expect to gain about 1/2 pound of muscle every two weeks (given optimal nutrition and training). That means in a 12-week span, you could potentially gain about 3 pounds of muscle. The other 27 pounds will be fat.

If 27 pounds of fat and 3 pounds of muscle fits your goals, go for it. With the additional proviso that you have no control over where the fat is deposited on your body. You can't make it all go to your legs and booty, it will go on however your genetics dictate (which, for a lot of people means a decent amount of it will be going straight to your gut/midsection).

I can vouch for this. I've gained around 18lbs since September. I've gained it all over my body but a good deal around my middle. And that's with a much slower rate than 30 lbs in 3 months.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Hey guys I need tips and advise. I've been told by a few that having a goal of 30 lbs is too much in 3 months. August 15 to be exact. Based off the app calculator I'm
    advised to eat 2,330 calories a day. a month ago I statred doing a light workout each morning and sometimes another in the day. Basically working on my legs and butt.

What is your goal? Are you underweight?
  • GuidedByTheLight
    guys I screwd that up. idk why i put wanting to gain 30 lbs. but approximately since ive gained a few ill say I'm 127. I had wanted to be about 140. Im 5'3 and my weight will neVer sticks. I would always be 123 -125 a few around that. the most i weighted was 135 close to 140 during preg in 2012 and around 130 while working a desk job last year.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    if you want to gain weight (but not a lot of fat) - you need to do a progressive lifting program (stronglifts, strongcurves) and make sure you are eating the calories you state - since you have a specific goal, you may want to play around with different combos of protein/fat/carbs to figure out what works the best for you
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I would keep the weight gain to under 2lbs per month (or 0.5 lb per week) to reduce fat gains... So this works out to 250cal surplus and below. And as mentioned follow a lifting program. Another vote for Strong Curves since it sounds like your goal is more lower body focused.
  • comptonelizabeth
    guys I screwd that up. idk why i put wanting to gain 30 lbs. but approximately since ive gained a few ill say I'm 127. I had wanted to be about 140. Im 5'3 and my weight will neVer sticks. I would always be 123 -125 a few around that. the most i weighted was 135 close to 140 during preg in 2012 and around 130 while working a desk job last year.

Ah OK,that makes sense. So you're wanting to gain around 13 lbs? Strange how different we all are! I'm the same height as you and am now around 130. I think I'd look fat at 140 because it just goes to my middle.
    I'd suggest setting the mfp calculator to gain at no more than .5lb per week to be honest, and follow a progressive lifting programme as already mentioned. 13 lbs in 3 months would be 1lb a week which is doable but you may find it's mostly fat. Which is fine if that's what you want!
  • comptonelizabeth
    Ps if you're finding it hard to keep the weight on,you may be underestimating your activity levels? Don't forget to log your exercise and eat back the calories.
  • GuidedByTheLight
    Ps if you're finding it hard to keep the weight on,you may be underestimating your activity levels? Don't forget to log your exercise and eat back the calories.

hey Compton. So are you saying that when u excersice that may help to keep weight.. Im not sure how many calories I'm burning. when i excersize everyday. and in order to log excerczing info calpries burned hAs to be documented.
  • comptonelizabeth
    You can search in cardio exercises for strength training and that gives a very rough estimate.
  • GuidedByTheLight
    awesome. Thank you!