Heavy weight lower reps VS. Lower weight higher reps

Options
tiggs862017
tiggs862017 Posts: 15 Member
So, it's been about 15 years since I was in strength training in highschool. I remember our coach telling us the difference between these two, and that you should alternate between heavy weight low reps and low weight and high reps but I can't remember why, or how often I should alternate. I think heavy weight with low reps gives you bulk, but I'm not for sure. Any input is much appreciated :)

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    lower reps higher weight = strength; higher reps lower weight = hypertrophy ...the best programs tend to have you doing a mixture of both, which is why I like the PHUL (Power, Hypertrophy, Upper, Lower split) program...
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Table-3.jpg

I personally don't see any reason to "specialize" in any one rep range...for the most part I do non-linear undulating periodization...basically I have a heavy day and a moderate rep day with higher volume and I just alternate those...as a matter of general fitness and athleticism I think it's best to not live in any one rep range unless you're training for something specific that requires it.

This. Though what is the "time" referring to? Time under tension?
  • tiggs862017
    tiggs862017 Posts: 15 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Table-3.jpg

I personally don't see any reason to "specialize" in any one rep range...for the most part I do non-linear undulating periodization...basically I have a heavy day and a moderate rep day with higher volume and I just alternate those...as a matter of general fitness and athleticism I think it's best to not live in any one rep range unless you're training for something specific that requires it.

Thank you for sharing this!! It helps tremendously! Do you alternate week to week? One week moderate weight, the next heavy weight?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Robbo_79 wrote: »
    surely it means rest time between sets

4-10 seconds, between 85%+ sets? No.

It either means TuT or time of set. But, 10 seconds seems short for a 3 rep set of 85%+, so TuT is probably correct.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

I wouldn't think so, usually the closer to 1 RM you do, the longer your rest breaks. Total time under tension or the time for the set itself, including between reps, seems more likely.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Table-3.jpg

Thank you for sharing this!! It helps tremendously! Do you alternate week to week? One week moderate weight, the next heavy weight?

i would suggest finding a structured program and following that, instead of trying to design one on your own ..

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Table-3.jpg

This is what my current cycle looks like as set up by my trainer...

Week 1

Day 1 – Moderate
    Day 2 – Heavy

Week 2

Day 1 - Moderate
    Day 2 - Heavy

Week 3

Day 1 - Moderate
    Day 2 - Heavy

Week 4
    Day 1 - Moderate
    Day 2 - Power (all Olympic movements)

Week 5

Day 1 - Very Heavy
    Day 2 - Moderate

Week 6

Day 1 - Light weight/high rep
    Day 2 - Heavy

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Table-3.jpg

Actually, no idea...my guess would be time to complete the movement but no idea.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I like to do both and cover all bases. I'll warm up using lower weight and higher reps, as weight increases, reps decrease. Once I'm up to my working set (say 5-8 reps) i'll then drop the weight down and finish with a high rep set or several to failure. I'm looking to progress in weight from the previous week, this is paramount...this is where I believe i'll grow. The high rep set floods the muscle with nutrients (the pump) ready for recovery. There is also a school of thought that heavy weight targets fast twitch muscle fibers and the higher rep stuff targets slow twitch, therefore if you do both you get more bang for your buck although personally I think slowing down the rep itself is more beneficial for hitting slow twitch than a lot of reps at a higher pace.

Also ignore anyone who says heavy weight lower reps isn't beneficial to hypertrophy (because they're just parroting information ;)).
  • bbell1985
    Options

No that doesn't make sense. 4-10 second rest between maximal strength sets? lolz.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Table-3.jpg

Actually, no idea...my guess would be time to complete the movement but no idea.

So...time under tension
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Table-3.jpg

So...time under tension

with 1-3 being 4-10

1...2...down and 1 up 1 rack... sounds about right for TuT.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    Time spent wondering if you are lifting heavy enough.

lol
  • bbell1985
    Options
    OP, look at the chart and decide your goals. Got fat to lose and muscle to maintain? Choose compound lifts in the strength rep/set range with a few accessories in the hypertrophy range (not completely necessary even). Choose this for a strength goal as well. Want to work on physique? Do strength on your compounds with some extra volume in hypertrophy isolation work.
  • gym4life64
    gym4life64 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    My opinion is certain movements should be heavy and others lighter (but not light) Squat a HEAVY barbell and trust me, you will grow! Deadlift HEAVY, and you will GROW! Bench press, shoulder press HEAVY! Then all the assistance work you do lighter for higher reps and a lot of volume. Chase the pump.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Eric Helms does a great job of very thoroughly addressing strength, hypertrophy and workout programming for both in his e-book (Muscle and Strength Training Pyramids). It's well worth the read. Here's a video he made which summarizes it, he goes much more in depth in the book:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl8v6frDJHc
  • bbell1985
    Options
    tempo, that's right