Changing weight goals over time?

Hi,

So right now I am ~100 pounds at 5'11" and started lifting again with my personal trainer. I have worked with her in the past before, and had amazing results - I just fell off the wagon because of a bad flare up last year. We discussed weight goals. I told her I looked my best around 140 lbs. She says it would be a good idea to have a temporary goal of 125, and reassess from there. Would it be okay to change my weight stats on MFP, and then change them once I reach the first goal?

Btw, I have discussed my weight with my doctor, and all he says is he wants me to gain. Nothing specific for the time being.

Replies

• TeacupsAndDeadlifts
    TeacupsAndDeadlifts Posts: 7 Member
    edited May 2017
    Sorry, are you saying that you're down 100 lbs or that you weigh 100 lbs?

Regardless, at 5'11' I definitely think that having a goal of 125 is too little. I'd want to add about 15 lbs to that - I think your goal of 140 is better suited to your height.

But yes, you're always welcome to change your goals on mfp. That's part of the reason it can be so helpful. You can set mini-goals and it can help make it feel more achievable.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Sorry, I meant I weigh about 100 pounds. I know 125 is too little, and we agreed that it should be a mini goal. I have never seen myself at 125 with more muscle than fat, so it will be interesting to see what that looks like. 140 is more reasonable, but I am still figuring out treatment changes and other factors that has halted my weight gain. It will be easier for me to acheive smaller weight goals like you stated. Thank you!
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Mini-goals are good. Tell MFP what you actually weigh and that you want to gain 1 or 2 lbs per week or whatever the options are. You are going to have to adjust anyhow, just be prepared for that.
  • avadahm
    avadahm Posts: 111 Member
    You can totally change it when you get there. I change mine every 3-5 lbs as I gain because I'm on such a slow gain schedule for myself. It helps to keep from getting discouraged :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    I'd agree that mini goals, both weight and/or non weight related arw a great way to stay on track. I do it often.
  • Hamsibian
    Thank you everyone. I am going to set it as a mini weight related goal. I have been here since last fall, and haven't gained anything - in fact I lost a bit of weight. I am logging accurately with a scale; it's just all health nonsense. I hope the new treatment plan along with lifting will help a lot. Because of the plateau, I like to make non weight related goals as well - usually involves cooking a new dish - so I feel accomplished in some areas.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    You can change goals as often as you want to! I started with a goal of 125lbs and then decided (when I'd reached it) that I wanted to gain more so set it to 130. I'm finding it harder to put on another 5lbs so it's happening more slowly but I'm getting there. Good luck!
  • Hamsibian
    Thank you! I decided my first goal to be 110. My first pt session a couple of weeks ago resulted in a lot of soreness, but 2 sessions this week with similar weights were much easier....and I'm not sore! I'm excited about the potential progress. :)