My Gallbladder Removed

Had my gallbladder removed today. I was wondering is this going to make me gain weight or hinder me from losing weight.

Replies

• Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    If you were not eating because of the gallbladder then you may gain weight if you eat more then your deficit, otherwise no it will not do anything different. You may get heartburn easier then before, and you may not be able to eat a lot of fried food (I tried to eat it two days in a row and I got sick) I had mine out three years ago and I am losing no problem! LUCK
  • mebelfanti
    mebelfanti Posts: 328 Member
    I had my gallbladder removed last year when I wasn't actively trying to lose weight and it had no impact on my weight. But now that I AM trying to lose weight by working out and eating healthy, I haven't noticed any issues and am able to lose about 1-2lbs per week. One thing I was not prepared for after my surgery was that my stomach would get upset after I ate just about anything. It went away after a few months, but I would recommend getting some Pepto Bismol to have on hand. I guess that could cause you to lose more weight though, so at least there's that.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    I gained weight initially but that's because I'd lost loads before the op from having to eat virtually no fat.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    I too have been gallbladder-free for 5 years. I gained weight after the operation but in hindsight it had nothing to do with my gallbladder...I'd been eating too much for years. I've since lost over 30! :)

I can say after my experience I had NONE of the side effects that people sometimes worry about. (Well after the first week of normal issues post-op). No issues with my G.I. tract. No heartburn.

My surgeon helped dispell some of the mythology about gallbladder issues. It often happens to people who have normal Western diets, not just people eating a lot of greasy food. I probably wouldn't have had gallbladder issues if I was living in a place in the world with relatively low fat diets, but blaming me for eating an ordinary American diet (and not extraordinarily high in fat) would be unfair.

The only thing that I experience is none of the crippling pain of gallbladder attacks. Yea!
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    I had my gallbladder a year ago. No problem losing weight and I can eat anything! Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
  • tooheyz
    tooheyz Posts: 26 Member
    edited May 2017
    It's been 9 years since I've had mine removed. Training and pretty active so no problems maintaining, or losing weight weight. I still do however have gut issues if I have a greasy meal. Natural fats like avocados are ok, but anything fried still sends me running to the bathroom at lightning speed.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    tooheyz wrote: »
    It's been 9 years since I've had mine removed. Training and pretty active so no problems maintaining, or losing weight weight. I still do however have gut issues if I have a greasy meal. Natural fats like avocados are ok, but anything fried still sends me running to the bathroom at lightning speed.

Me too. Especially cheese!
  • 2sexy41
    2sexy41 Posts: 9 Member
    Thank you all for your Insight
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    I had mine out in 2011, it didn't change my eating habits.
  • 2deltacharlie
    2deltacharlie Posts: 13 Member
    I had mine out about 5 years ago. For about 6 months after my bowels were looser than normal. Then things gradually normalized until at this point I don't even think about it unless the topic comes up. As you have seen the outcomes vary widely. Good luck.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    I had mine out during weight loss. The surgery made me hold onto some water weight for a week or two while healing, otherwise it had no effect on eating or weight loss (but my heartburn/reflux went away).

Do yourself a favor and learn from a mistake I made: I'd strongly advise you to eat at maintenance (i.e., don't try to lose weight) for at least 2 weeks and preferably 4, after surgery. Healing should be priority #1, and healing requires nutrition. I kept losing, got fatigued, got weak, and it took a few weeks to turn that around.

Best wishes!