Carb or no carb?

Options
stm0721
stm0721 Posts: 3 Member
I am starting once again on my weight loss journey. I still have about 38 pounds to lose. My husband is following the very low carb diet and he has seen results, but I worry about the strictness of the diet and I also worry about the health implications of too much meat...anyone have experience they can share?

Replies

• melinajames
    melinajames Posts: 12 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Complex carbs are good for you in small amounts. Going no carbs at all will do you harm and will make you quit faster. I'm following a LOW carb lifestyle at the moment . 25% of my died is made out of complex carbs (about 300 cal. a day).

Also, what do you mean too much meat? Meat is protein, not carbs. My died is 45% protein.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Overall calories is what matters.
    Not if you have or dont have carbs.
    I couldn't function without carbs....my workouts would suffer big time.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i'm a runner so i love my carbs.

that being said they make up between 40-45% of my cals typically (because peanut butter) which is lower than some LDR's i know.
  • stm0721
    stm0721 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I worry about the meat for heart/cholesterol purposes.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    stm0721 wrote: »
    I worry about the meat for heart/cholesterol purposes.

If there are no genetic issues, and you keep your weight in check and stay active, you will be fine.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Complex carbs are good for you in small amounts. Going no carbs at all will do you harm and will make you quit faster. I'm following a LOW carb lifestyle at the moment . 25% of my died is made out of complex carbs (about 300 cal. a day).

Also, what do you mean too much meat? Meat is protein, not carbs. My died is 45% protein.

If a person was truly eating "No Carb" they would be left with a diet of nothing but meat and oil since carbs are in things like fruits, veggies, dairy in addition to the grains and processed foods that most people tend to associate with carbs.

I presume that's what OP meant when saying she was concerned a no carb or very low carb diet would be too much meat.
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I love lower carb ... cuz ALL the meat ... and cheese ... and eggs ... and more meat. Have not had cholesterol issues :)
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Low carb isn't necessary. Every now and again, I think about going low carb, but just tracking my calories makes me more aware of picking my carbs. For example, I'd rather eat cherry tomatoes as a side instead of chips. It gives me more room for beer. :p
  • FFIMIKE
    FFIMIKE Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You can try ketogenic diet, in youtube you can find very good advices. Jason Wittrock - very good and will be easy to learn.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You can lose low carbing (at any level) or not, so you really should focus on the kind of diet that would be enjoyable and sustainable for you. I like low carbing and would recommend trying it if you are interested, but I don't know why the super low carb diets are so popular now--IMO, vegetables are important and I certainly wouldn't limit them to hit a particular carb number. The main benefit of low carbing can be if you have IR issues and want to try it as a way to control them or if you struggle to hit your calories it can sometimes help.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I look at this as not a "diet" per se with a beginning and an ending, but more of an incremental lifestyle change. That way, it's a journey and I can't fail unless I get off the road and park my butt someplace and don't move.

(Picture one of those cute camping trailers with a beach umbrella, a lawn chair, a cocktail table with a margarita on it, and a cutesy lawn ornament flamingo. If I am going to go off the trail, I am going to do it in style.)

For me, deprivation doesn't work.

So, my goal for this lifestyle change (eating plan) was to pick an eating plan that offered me the best results without the pain of deprivation.

One of the things I did was to consciously make the switch from how I was eating to a new way of eating. Because while I know that it's Calories In / Calories Out (CICO), I don't like being hungry / starving because it makes me cranky and I then obsess about all of the food out there that I am now not allowing myself to have.

I knew going in that based on CICO, that I burn calories just by being alive.
    If I eat as many as I burn I would be in stasis (and not lose).
    If I eat more than I burn I will gain weight.
    If I eat less than I burn I will lose weight except if I am in an extreme calorie deficit. Then my body goes into preservation mode and my metabolism might slow down and hold onto what I have b/c it thinks I am starving.

I knew from my own past experience that carbs and sugar are the devil. If I eat one sweet thing, then, I can't stop. I know that if I eat simple carbs (like bagels / white potatoes) my heart will race. If I eat complex carbs (like canned white beans) then I feel okay, but I don't really lose weight. I have restricted sugar and carbs before and knew that by restricting them, I am not craving them and I feel better.

The eating plan that does this for me is Paleo / Keto (low, low sugar/carbs and high protein/fat/fiber); my ratios are: (45% protein, 40% fat and 15% carbs/sugar).

See this website for a list of paleo websites:
    http://paleoiq.com/best-paleo-diet-blogs/

I started by making incremental changes last November (one meal at a time), with the end goal being that I would hover around 1400 calories because as an older woman my skin doesn't bounce back as it did when I was younger. By losing the weight slowly, I have minimized the sagging skin.

It took several months of tweaking before I finally found my "sweet spot" in terms of balance between carbs and protein and (since November I have lost about 35 pounds). And... I am only compliant calorie wise about 75% - 80% of the time. I have some health issues and can't really exercise. Despite this and being tied to a desk all day, I have lost and continue to lose weight.

For me, eating low carb and low sugar all of the time some amazing things happened:

I don't crave sugar (I have an entire box of Charms Wild Berry Blow Pops in my file drawer that I haven't touched since November because I don't crave sugar; I once measured my stress level by how many of them I consumed in one day);

My moods are more even and I don't have blood sugar spikes and crashes;

By consuming more healthy fats my joints don't hurt as much and I am more or less satiated on 1400 calories.

I used Paleo Leap and Paleo Tribe for the recipe ideas (they have some great low calorie recipe options) but this isn't necessary. I do think preparing and eating food that I make as opposed to boxes or eating out has helped me a lot. Boxes say they are low carb (but they have lots of other additives in them to make them taste good.)

I also take 7-keto DHEA (fat burner), desiccated adrenal (80 mgs -- I started and maintain a very low dose) and desiccated adrenal cortex (250 mgs). I have more energy and they have helped my allergies and my hormones.

See this website: https://www.yourhormones.com/signs-symptoms/

Most women suffer from advanced adrenal fatigue and adaptogenic herbs don't work. To rebuild your adrenals desiccated adrenal extracts are very helpful. (I was on prednisone, but was able to stop taking it.)

See these websites:
    http://www.drnorthrup.com/adrenal-exhaustion/
    https://www.yourhormones.com/adrenal-fatigue/

IMO in the beginning, you shouldn't "train hard" you should balance gentle cardio (like brisk walking) with strength training. With keto you burn stored fat because that's what you burn for energy.) Look at reducing unnecessary drama that makes you crazy. Meaning, make an effort to walk faster than you normally do for a bit and carry heavy things farther (like your groceries from the store to the car without pushing them in the cart). These things add up.

Also, explore the term "estrogen dominance". Body fat makes you hold on to excess estrogen.
    See these websites:
    http://www.drnorthrup.com/estrogen-dominance/
    https://www.womentowomen.com/hormonal-health/estrogen-dominance/
    https://www.drlam.com/blog/estrogen-dominance-part-1/1704/

I got rid of all of the chemicals in my home. Everything is fragrance / dye free or natural cleaners. Frebreeze and similar products are endocrine disruptors and can actually make it difficult for people to lose weight. I also gave up scented lotions and perfume.

I am post-menopause so I also taking a boatload of natural progesterone (prometrium 200 mgs.) Discuss this with your doctor. Based on your family history of breast cancer, it may well save your life or not be right for you.

Another thing to be aware of is that healthy fats keep you satiated (and REDUCE inflammation) and fiber keeps you full (and helps with constipation, eh biggest complaint people have on this way of eating).

Consider getting a FitBit Alta HR - it tracks your steps, your sleep, your heart rate and you can improve your score over time.
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    I look at this as not a "diet" per se with a beginning and an ending, but more of an incremental lifestyle change. That way, it's a journey and I can't fail unless I get off the road and park my butt someplace and don't move.

(Picture one of those cute camping trailers with a beach umbrella, a lawn chair, a cocktail table with a margarita on it, and a cutesy lawn ornament flamingo. If I am going to go off the trail, I am going to do it in style.)

For me, deprivation doesn't work.

So, my goal for this lifestyle change (eating plan) was to pick an eating plan that offered me the best results without the pain of deprivation.

One of the things I did was to consciously make the switch from how I was eating to a new way of eating. Because while I know that it's Calories In / Calories Out (CICO), I don't like being hungry / starving because it makes me cranky and I then obsess about all of the food out there that I am now not allowing myself to have.

I knew going in that based on CICO, that I burn calories just by being alive.
    If I eat as many as I burn I would be in stasis (and not lose).
    If I eat more than I burn I will gain weight.
    If I eat less than I burn I will lose weight except if I am in an extreme calorie deficit. Then my body goes into preservation mode and my metabolism might slow down and hold onto what I have b/c it thinks I am starving.

I knew from my own past experience that carbs and sugar are the devil. If I eat one sweet thing, then, I can't stop. I know that if I eat simple carbs (like bagels / white potatoes) my heart will race. If I eat complex carbs (like canned white beans) then I feel okay, but I don't really lose weight. I have restricted sugar and carbs before and knew that by restricting them, I am not craving them and I feel better.

The eating plan that does this for me is Paleo / Keto (low, low sugar/carbs and high protein/fat/fiber); my ratios are: (45% protein, 40% fat and 15% carbs/sugar).

See this website for a list of paleo websites:
    http://paleoiq.com/best-paleo-diet-blogs/

I started by making incremental changes last November (one meal at a time), with the end goal being that I would hover around 1400 calories because as an older woman my skin doesn't bounce back as it did when I was younger. By losing the weight slowly, I have minimized the sagging skin.

It took several months of tweaking before I finally found my "sweet spot" in terms of balance between carbs and protein and (since November I have lost about 35 pounds). And... I am only compliant calorie wise about 75% - 80% of the time. I have some health issues and can't really exercise. Despite this and being tied to a desk all day, I have lost and continue to lose weight.

For me, eating low carb and low sugar all of the time some amazing things happened:

I don't crave sugar (I have an entire box of Charms Wild Berry Blow Pops in my file drawer that I haven't touched since November because I don't crave sugar; I once measured my stress level by how many of them I consumed in one day);

My moods are more even and I don't have blood sugar spikes and crashes;

By consuming more healthy fats my joints don't hurt as much and I am more or less satiated on 1400 calories.

I used Paleo Leap and Paleo Tribe for the recipe ideas (they have some great low calorie recipe options) but this isn't necessary. I do think preparing and eating food that I make as opposed to boxes or eating out has helped me a lot. Boxes say they are low carb (but they have lots of other additives in them to make them taste good.)

I also take 7-keto DHEA (fat burner), desiccated adrenal (80 mgs -- I started and maintain a very low dose) and desiccated adrenal cortex (250 mgs). I have more energy and they have helped my allergies and my hormones.

See this website: https://www.yourhormones.com/signs-symptoms/

Most women suffer from advanced adrenal fatigue and adaptogenic herbs don't work. To rebuild your adrenals desiccated adrenal extracts are very helpful. (I was on prednisone, but was able to stop taking it.)

See these websites:
    http://www.drnorthrup.com/adrenal-exhaustion/
    https://www.yourhormones.com/adrenal-fatigue/

IMO in the beginning, you shouldn't "train hard" you should balance gentle cardio (like brisk walking) with strength training. With keto you burn stored fat because that's what you burn for energy.) Look at reducing unnecessary drama that makes you crazy. Meaning, make an effort to walk faster than you normally do for a bit and carry heavy things farther (like your groceries from the store to the car without pushing them in the cart). These things add up.

Also, explore the term "estrogen dominance". Body fat makes you hold on to excess estrogen.
    See these websites:
    http://www.drnorthrup.com/estrogen-dominance/
    https://www.womentowomen.com/hormonal-health/estrogen-dominance/
    https://www.drlam.com/blog/estrogen-dominance-part-1/1704/

I got rid of all of the chemicals in my home. Everything is fragrance / dye free or natural cleaners. Frebreeze and similar products are endocrine disruptors and can actually make it difficult for people to lose weight. I also gave up scented lotions and perfume.

I am post-menopause so I also taking a boatload of natural progesterone (prometrium 200 mgs.) Discuss this with your doctor. Based on your family history of breast cancer, it may well save your life or not be right for you.

Another thing to be aware of is that healthy fats keep you satiated (and REDUCE inflammation) and fiber keeps you full (and helps with constipation, eh biggest complaint people have on this way of eating).

Consider getting a FitBit Alta HR - it tracks your steps, your sleep, your heart rate and you can improve your score over time.

this is a great post. i also started easing into it in november.
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I think it is important to find a meal plan that works for you. Not everyone works well with giving up certain things completely. So find something that is in between that makes you happy and you can sustain. If you don't like what your meal plan is, chances are you won't stick with it. When losing weight you won't eat differently for a certain amount of time and then go back to how you ate before because then you would put all the weight back on. So you have to find changes you can live with forever. So I think it is important first to learn to eat within your calorie goals. And then after you start learning and seeing how much calories are in certain things, you can adjust. When you eat under calories you'll most likely already be reducing your carbs a lot because you will eat less bread and pasta because those are high in calories. For me I have found the perfect balance of foods that lets me be under my calories but also doesn't upset my stomach (I have a few stomach issues) and doesn't leave me craving certain types of foods and it has carbs. But I'm still under calories, so I'll still lose weight.