Gaining muscle weight but decreasing fat weight

Options
Can anyone pls help me, I'd like to lose the bit if fat I am holding but increase muscle weight , with the food diary and weight checks how is it possible to know how much unwanted weight I'm losing, thanks

Replies

• machiinexbox
    machiinexbox Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Recomping?
  • machiinexbox
    Options
    What do you mean in regards to stats? Sorry sounding like a dick but kinda new t this online thing
  • machiinexbox
    Options
    What do you mean in regards to stats? Sorry sounding like a dick but kinda new t this online thing

I mean what is your age, height, weight, how many cals do you eat in a day?

And recomping is basically when you're at the weight that you want but you want to "exchange" the fat in your body for muscle.

Ok so I'm 36, 6ft 17st and I'm eating 2600 caps a day just t shift the fat
  • machiinexbox
    Options
    I know what I'm doing in regards to lifting weights and losing fat but it's combining the 2 for an overall better look and maintain my weight if not increase it with muscle ,if that makes sense
  • machiinexbox
    Options
    That's basically it , but if I'm losing the unwanted fat but gaining weight in muscle how can I monitor the amount of fat I'm losing other than the obvious ( physical appearance)
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    lift weights and go fairly heavy to build more muscle. if you keep eating the same calories, over time you'll develop more muscle weight, and the fat will gradually lessen as your muscle grows. be sure to eat enough protein, btw.
  • machiinexbox
    Options
    Appreciated
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    lift weights and go fairly heavy to build more muscle. if you keep eating the same calories, over time you'll develop more muscle weight, and the fat will gradually lessen as your muscle grows. be sure to eat enough protein, btw.

it depends on if he is eating in a surplus or not. if so fat will increase as well. if not he will lose fat but wont build a decent amount of muscle like in a surplus. its hard to do both at the same time even when the conditions are right. genetics play a part too.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

I mean what is your age, height, weight, how many cals do you eat in a day?

And recomping is basically when you're at the weight that you want but you want to "exchange" the fat in your body for muscle.

Ok so I'm 36, 6ft 17st and I'm eating 2600 caps a day just t shift the fat

Okay. At your height, and I definitely don't mean this in a bad way, but you have a decent amount of weight you could lose so if I were you I'd eat at a deficit in order to drop more weight and if you haven't already, I'd start following a strength/weight training program.

at his height his weight isnt that much especially if he already has some muscle mass(if the pic is of him).The more muscle mass you have the more you are going to weigh.
  • machiinexbox
    Options
    This is my pic, so I think eating in decefit is the best option then possibly a clean surplus to gain more muscle , any idea on the amount of calories I should be getting taking in surplus , thnx
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    This is my pic, so I think eating in decefit is the best option then possibly a clean surplus to gain more muscle , any idea on the amount of calories I should be getting taking in surplus , thnx

go to mfp and put in your height and weight and set it to lose .5-1lb a week if you have less than 30lbs to lose, for the deficit. The less you have to lose the slower its going to be. as for surplus calories you do the same thing,put in how much you want to gain(I would try .5-1lb a week) and see what calories it gives you. try it for a month or so and see whats going on. if you arent gaining eat more,not losing eat less. the slower you take it off/put it on the better. that way you shouldnt have to do as much of a cut after you bulk to lose any fat you acquire.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

"clean" bulk has more to do with the size of the surplus, not the food types. Minimise your surplus (+250 cals I think) to gain muscle with minimal fat gain. Work out your protein and fat grams, then fill the rest of your cals how you like... It doesn't have to be all clean food though.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Hi mate, at your size and a gym goer
    Forget about recomp, it's a slow process at best and at your size you'll die of old age Before you see any visibsle muscle gain and fat loss

Cut down then look at slowly bulking
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    That's basically it , but if I'm losing the unwanted fat but gaining weight in muscle how can I monitor the amount of fat I'm losing other than the obvious ( physical appearance)

Physical appearance is a great way to monitor. You could also do a body composition test every few months. Of course these have varying degrees of reliability.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Forget about recomp, it's a slow process at best and at your size you'll die of old age Before you see any visibsle muscle gain and fat loss

This. Get to 10/12% bodyfat then reassess.
  • marvin1969
    marvin1969 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know what I'm doing in regards to lifting weights and losing fat but it's combining the 2 for an overall better look and maintain my weight if not increase it with muscle ,if that makes sense

Just my "case study" so far: I'm 47 years old, 6'2" (188cm), and started at 270lbs (18stone / 122kg) 2 months ago. I started doing multiple things. First, I reduced my calories to 1580 per day. I started doing cardio (just aggressive walking at the start) to start building stamina, burn calories, and increase my VO2. If you have a treadmill for calories, I was trying to do 250-350 calories and keep a good heart rate (110-160) to keep a good fat burn going. This REALLY helped, and I did it every other day, and then got to 4-5x per week.

I also started adding strength training to the mix. I did this MUCH more than I had previously. I also do this IMMEDIATELY after the cardio to keep my pulse up. This has two impacts: my cardio burn is longer and I'm building more lean muscle tissue. The result is that after 7 weeks, I'm down only to <240 pounds, but the amount of fat on my body is MUCH improved. My muscle tone, definition, and mass are all improved. My weight is holding here, but I'm still increasing my strength training (types, reps, weight, and number of sets). Clearly, I'm trading fat for muscle. It's also a great motivator for staying on my program.

I did also (finally) buy a fitness tracker with a heart monitor. It helps keep me honest about my activity (and integrates with MFP), but I don't let the "calories burned" become a voucher for "bring on the extra food". I will allow myself SOME more calories, but seldom to the numbers it suggests I am allotted.

Good luck, friend!
  • brasda91
    brasda91 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    keep in mind, fat takes up more space than muscle. I noticed you didn't say anything about measuring. use a tailors tape to measure your progress more than the scale.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options

I also agree with this.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10462715/ready-to-recomp/p1

The OP is 36... he not old. The above thread is a 62 year old that has been recomping.

OP what is your training protocol? If you want apeed, get a small deficit and lift. Once you cut, then bulk up.