BMI or Physical Appearance?

Replies

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    I'd say both. BMI is a crude tool, misestimating body fat frequently (overestimating in some, underestimating in others). It gives you a general idea of a range of healthy body weights, but only an individual can really determine when they've arrived at a physique and lifestyle they can live with.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Physical appearance definitely but let's be honest, I look fat if I go over the normal BMI range anyway (even at the top of the normal range really).

I have an 'overweight' friend who looks awesome though, so it really depends on the individual.
  • djchaney3
    djchaney3 Posts: 387 Member
    Appearance all the way... I am 5' 10" and according to all the stupid charts I should weight about 179lbs... My goal is 210ish, still got 20lbs to go...
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    100% appearance and how I "feel" about my physique.

- The scale indicates if I've lost or gained weight
    - BMI tells me I'm obese
    - Bodyfat measuring methods are inaccurate/not reliable
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Appearance.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    100% appearance and how I "feel" about my physique.

- The scale indicates if I've lost or gained weight
    - BMI tells me I'm obese
    - Bodyfat measuring methods are inaccurate/not reliable

50% appearance, 50% performance.

Hitting my 2 mile run, and strength goals... along with my tape/appearance goals I'm 100% happy.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    edit, and performance, after reading above. Makes sense.
  • xchocolategirl
    xchocolategirl Posts: 186 Member
    Not everyone will follow these two options either some health professionals recommend going by waist circumference instead.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Not everyone will follow these two options either some health professionals recommend going by waist circumference instead.

I have a large waist from genetics and I'd be pretty peeved if my doctor followed that, lol.
  • mtek94
    mtek94 Posts: 21 Member
    Mirror and fitness, look good feel good, bmi will set bad standards
  • crazyycatladyy1
    crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member

Waist measurement is now included in the mandatory health assessment my husband and I have to get done every fall for our employer based health insurance, along with a basic blood work panel and scale weight, (with that they figure bmi). My waist measured by a nurse is 25 inches, so in line with my lower bmi of around a 20.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Physical Appearance. BMI only accounts for weight/height ratio based it's value. The weight can all be distributed on the bottom or top.
    If someone looks physically great, why would BMI matter much?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Because some people think looking good is being overweight. Not everyone likes thin people. So maybe we should say Physically looking HEALTHY lol Then I agree.
  • TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    if ever a time to say "both" it's now. My weight loss focus was health, which was directly correlated with losing weight. That being said, BMI doesn't work for me. My legs are big (muscular) and I have wide shoulders which are big. When I wrestled and had very little body fat, my "BMI" was high according to the chart.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Both. I want to drop to normal bmi but more then that I want to be strong and have ability to do things. I want to run a 5k nonstop, I want to get able to do pull ups, I want to be functionally strong. I also want to look smoking hot. I have never worn a bikini as when I was slender in high school and college I raced swimming and racers wore 1 prices. I am 41 and would like to lose enough and strengthen my abs enough to look hot in a bikini.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Appearance, When I was younger I looked better with a few extra pounds than I did without. Also, My body shape has completely changed, but the scale hasn't really recognised that.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »

I have a large waist from genetics and I'd be pretty peeved if my doctor followed that, lol.

Me too. My friend who weighed 30lbs more than me had a 21in waist while mine was 28.... go figure lol.