How to Gain muscle while cutting

Options
I am new at MFP. I need help with how to cut my carbs down but the same time gain muscle and cut my body fat down.

Replies

• Smidge22
    Smidge22 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I also need friends
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Just train with a proper program, in a moderate deficit, with high protein. Reap the benefits of some fat loss, cross your fingers for a little muscle gain. In the end, you'll look better no matter what.
  • EricExtreme
    EricExtreme Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am doing a 500 calorie deficit per day while eating a high protein, moderate carbs, lower fat nutrition plan. I am slimming down and packing on muscle. Contrary to what many believe it is possible to do. I am proof.
  • EricExtreme
    edited May 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I am doing a 500 calorie deficit per day while eating a high protein, moderate carbs, lower fat nutrition plan. I am slimming down and packing on muscle. Contrary to what many believe it is possible to do. I am proof.
    Explain how you pack on muscle when gaining muscle would result in added weight? There's NO WAY you're "packing" on what you're losing in fat. You may be seeing more definition and your strength may increase, but gaining significant muscle while on a deficit is improbable.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I am one of the few lucky ones that can do it. I am eating 1.2-1.4 grams of protein , .5 grams of carbs (all complex), and .2 grams of healthy fats per pound of body weight. I am doing a 5 day heavy lifting routine and 5-6 days of various cardio. I was a fitness model for many years until my neck was injured. I just got back to the gym after rehabbing my neck 2 months ago. I have lost nearly 30lbs (around 8lbs of that was due to a 10 day long flu that I could barely eat during) and have packed over 4 inches onto my arms and several onto my legs. I eat every 2 ½-3 hours but keep a calorie deficit. I also do vegetable juicing twice a day. After 20 years of fitness experience I can play my metabolism like a fiddle. I am one of the few lucky ones that can pull off cutting while putting on a decent amount of muscle. I know it is not the norm and is improbable but it isn't impossible. I wish everyone was as lucky as I am.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Explain how you pack on muscle when gaining muscle would result in added weight? There's NO WAY you're "packing" on what you're losing in fat. You may be seeing more definition and your strength may increase, but gaining significant muscle while on a deficit is improbable.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I am one of the few lucky ones that can do it. I am eating 1.2-1.4 grams of protein , .5 grams of carbs (all complex), and .2 grams of healthy fats per pound of body weight. I am doing a 5 day heavy lifting routine and 5-6 days of various cardio. I was a fitness model for many years until my neck was injured. I just got back to the gym after rehabbing my neck 2 months ago. I have lost nearly 30lbs (around 8lbs of that was due to a 10 day long flu that I could barely eat during) and have packed over 4 inches onto my arms and several onto my legs. I eat every 2 ½-3 hours but keep a calorie deficit. I also do vegetable juicing twice a day. After 20 years of fitness experience I can play my metabolism like a fiddle. I am one of the few lucky ones that can pull off cutting while putting on a decent amount of muscle. I know it is not the norm and is improbable but it isn't impossible. I wish everyone was as lucky as I am.
    Packing on inches isn't uncommon when one returns to weight lifting because glycogen and water fill up the cells in the muscle. And if you've been in fitness for 20 years, unless you're getting a little "help" your hormone profiles are better than when you were in your 20's where most guys have peak testosterone to grow significant muscle. To pack on muscle after your late 30's isn't very likely ON A DEFICIT. It's not impossible to do it, but it's not just going to happen in a couple of months. It usually takes a couple of years or more on a recomp to add significant muscle.

EDIT: and unless you're 5', you're not "packing" on muscle on a 1500 calorie a day intake.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• EricExtreme
    Options
    Yes 100% natural. I love the supporting nature on this thread. Your skepticism isn't warranted. I have no reason to make anything up. It is possible to do it. As unlikely as it normally would be there are exceptions to the rule and luckily I am one of them. Thank you for your assuming innocence and support.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Yes 100% natural. I love the supporting nature on this thread. Your skepticism isn't warranted. I have no reason to make anything up. It is possible to do it. As unlikely as it normally would be there are exceptions to the rule and luckily I am one of them. Thank you for your assuming innocence and support.

I didn't assume anything, merely clarifying. And I'd think that you would understand the skepticism, seeing as how you yourself admit it's improbable and would normally be unlikely. It's a very extraordinary claim. Especially while consistently eating 1250 calories per day (as shown in your food diary), which is an extremely low level for a grown male, and working out 5-6 days a week. Unless you're very small, you're probably running about a 1500 calorie/day deficit at that intake level when you factor in the calories burned in your workouts.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

With the amount of calories you're eating and the amount of exercise you claim to be doing, that ain't a 500 calorie deficit. Neither does losing 30 pounds in 2 months fit with that.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

Did you take progress pics, or have dexa scans?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I didn't assume anything, merely clarifying. And I'd think that you would understand the skepticism, seeing as how you yourself admit it's improbable and would normally be unlikely. It's a very extraordinary claim. Especially while consistently eating 1250 calories per day (as shown in your food diary), which is an extremely low level for a grown male, and working out 5-6 days a week. Unless you're very small, you're probably running about a 1500 calorie/day deficit at that intake level when you factor in the calories burned in your workouts.

And those numbers stack up with the 30lbs in two months. At that steep a deficit I'd be very surprised if there were even newbie/returners gains to be had.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    A small deficit, adequate protein and a well structured progressive overload lifting program will give you the best chance. And keep the carbs as they prevent protein breakdown

This is true. But it depends on personal preference. I don't have the patience for the slow progress of recomp. I prefer bulk/cut.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options

Besides small newbie gains, packing on muscle on a 500 deficit is not very feasible. When you lose weight your muscles will look bigger and more noticeable but it doesn't mean you've added mass to them.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2017
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    A small deficit, adequate protein and a well structured progressive overload lifting program will give you the best chance. And keep the carbs as they prevent protein breakdown

This is true. But it depends on personal preference. I don't have the patience for the slow progress of recomp. I prefer bulk/cut.

Well the good thing is, I didn't suggest a recomp. Deficit = cut. But I do agree it's personal preference.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You've increased your bicep measurement 4 inches within two months? While in a 500 calorie deficit and losing 30 pounds in that time span? And you were sick for almost two weeks of that time? Is that what you're actually claiming here?

And just to clarify, you're claiming that you did this 100% natty?

Synthol is natty right?
  • EricExtreme
    Options

I have severe hypothyroidism. I have a very physical job and will put on fat weight at 1750 calories with exercise. Where most guys live on 2000-3000 calories my hypothyroidism makes me put on fat weight (quickly) if I go much above 1750 calories.